gianluca's 42" oven build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: gianluca's 42" oven build

I started to work on the outer arch/neck I originally planned an angled open from 20"-25" during some brick cutting I mocked up the outer arch after I tried out my pizza peel to see if I can reach inside every spot on the oven on a 25" opening and it is very generous if I make it square with the inner arch +1"reveal at 21" I still have enough my question is that the neck of my oven is only 6 1/2" deep will that be large enough for a vent I can go as wide as the arch and taper it up of course so it would be around 6"x 16"(even a little wider) another option would be to cut back on the inner arch it protrudes about 1-1.5" from the ext dome I can use the angle grinder to do so that would give me like 7.5-8".

Is a vent supposed to be square/round/ rectangle are there any restrictions? would a 6x 16,12,10 be okay

Comment

Originally posted by GIANLUCA View Post

Is a vent supposed to be square/round/ rectangle are there any restrictions? would a 6x 16,12,10 be okay
      I don't think that the shape will make that much difference as long as you get about the same area for the cross section.

A 6 X 10 (figure 5 X 9) would be about 5 square inches less that an 8" ID round pipe. A 6 X 12 (figure 5 X 11) would be about 5 square inches greater.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

So i guess the question stands is there a standard size in square inches that a vent should be for a 42" ID oven with an average height of 21
        With a formula I could just build around the required size

Comment

I think your minimum for a 42" oven is an 8" round flue - so about 50 sq inches of area. Beyond that, flue height is going to be important.

Somewhere in the forum there is a pretty deep technical discussion of flue sizes and heights, if you go searching.
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

So i guess the question stands is there a standard size in square inches that a vent should be for a 42" ID oven with an average height of 21
            With a formula I could just build around the required size
            Most will recommend that an 8" id pipe is needed for a 42" oven. And as Dennis, stated is about 50 square inches in cross section. Just multiply the inside dimensions of the liner that you are considering. You can cut about an inch off of the outside dimensions to get the inside dimensions. The 6 X 10 is just a little less than 5 X 9 inside dimensions, (I am bad about "ball parking" stuff) so it would be about 45 square inches. The 6 X 12 (5 X 11) would be about 55 square inches.
            Last edited by Gulf; 07-15-2013, 03:44 PM.
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I love the "graffiti" in the dome!

Comment

We just discussed this on another forum I belong too. Something that I thought will benefit your decision is that when you size a flue, the corners are considered dead air space. By drawing a circle in the flue (ID) you will see the actual 'working' part of the flue.

That's why I suggested a 10x10 as a minimum..because an 8x8 is small for a 42" oven.
                Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                John Ruskin

Comment

Great answers I'm learning a lot so I guess round is better it utilizes the complete volume and square/rectangle has dead space. So I guess what ill do is try to purchase a round collar at 8" round or build a minimum of 6x10 rectangle brick flue. I'm a little weary on steel flues how will I do the flashing on the roof I would have to install a double wall pipe I guess kinda like my wood burning stove for my home

Comment

yeah, the DW pipe is expensive too, as you really need stainless because of the heat.
                    My build progress

Comment

Should I build the outer arch and neck on the outside of the floor or on top of the floor? the outside would start on the ceramic board like the inner arch and on top of course is on top of the floor that runs in the dome or none of the above and should I cut out the CB and start on the cement hearth and end the floor at the inner arch? also I am going to use regular clay red bricks for the outer arch and neck will there be any issues with this?

Comment

I completed the outer arch and flue opening today boy was it hot out!! I ended up starting the outer columns on the ceramic board and using firebricks instead of clay reds the main reason is that the clays are significantly smaller and I felt it would have looked odd it actually worked out because I used the first cut bricks from the inner arch saved time and money. my vent opening is about 14x6 I may cut into the inner arch to open it a bit more I'd like to here some opinions on that. the side will definitely need some buttressing I think tomorrow I will either cement bricks from the hearth up or fabricate some brackets like most do..

I was getting gas this morning and saw this in the lot it's like seeing a hot women walking naked what head turner.. I feel bad for who ever owns this car he supposedly hit a tractor trailor

Comment

They should be able to buff that right out.
                          Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                          John Ruskin

Comment

I don't. I have managed to go for decades without a scratch on my cheap ass cars, I am pretty sure I would not get a rock chip like that on an expensive one.....

Comment

I completed the outer arch and flue opening today boy was it hot out!! I ended up starting the outer columns on the ceramic board and using firebricks instead of clay reds the main reason is that the clays are significantly smaller and I felt it would have looked odd it actually worked out because I used the first cut bricks from the inner arch saved time and money. my vent opening is about 14x6 I may cut into the inner arch to open it a bit more I'd like to here some opinions on that. the side will definitely need some buttressing I think tomorrow I will either cement bricks from the hearth up or fabricate some brackets like most do..

I was getting gas this morning and saw this in the lot it's like seeing a hot women walking naked what head turner.. I feel bad for who ever owns this car he supposedly hit a tractor trailor
                              Your outer arch looks great. I'm planing on the same type. One and a half bricks deep? I saw in one of your earlier posts that you experimented a little to figure out your reach inside the oven. Since I haven't placed my insulation and floor bricks yet I'm wondering how far back I should place the front of the entry arch from the front edge of my top slab. Any advise? I have some leeway forward and backwards on my slab.
                              My build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...way-19491.html

Comment

Driver was probably watching hot women walking naked when he hit the tractor trailer. Distracted driving!
                                My build progress

Comment

Working...
                                X