gianluca's 42" oven build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: gianluca's 42" oven build

My arch bricks were about 7 inches give or take. The bottom was 4.5 but the bricks extended toward the back of the dome a few more inches. Here is a link to Russell's thread and a couple of pic that might help. GianniFoccocia, Karangi Dude and others have done it similarly.....There are other similar pics somewhere here, but I can't seem to locate them.
    John

Link to my build: 42 inch Michigan Oven

Comment

That makes a bunch of sense I will recut new arch bricks using whole 9" It was driving me crazy I actually lost sleep over it. I will use the arch bricks that I cut already for the front arch no waste!

thanks everyone

Comment

I was cutting bricks today hurray!! I am splitting my halfs with a hammer & chisel I notice a lot of builders here are cutting them in half with a saw Is there an issue with hammer and chisel method? It goes much quicker then cutting them and I'm really not concerned about how it looks on the outside it will be wrapped and burried just not 6' under lol!

Comment

That is the most efficient way to do it, tap, tap, pow, done.

Comment

So I started to work on the new extended arch bricks the columns were no problem but the arch bricks were I cannot taper the bricks for the arch any lenght larger than 6" will not fit on my saw would it be a problem not to taper the arch bricks and just use whole bricks instead with no taper, I would rather not make messy cuts. The length of the arch brick need to be around 7" give or take 1/2"

Comment

Originally posted by GIANLUCA View Post
              So I started to work on the new extended arch bricks the columns were no problem but the arch bricks were I cannot taper the bricks for the arch any lenght larger than 6" will not fit on my saw would it be a problem not to taper the arch bricks and just use whole bricks instead with no taper, I would rather not make messy cuts. The length of the arch brick need to be around 7" give or take 1/2"
              This is where a side grinder and diamond blade may help .
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Can you remove the clamps on your saw and just hold the brick in place? If not make a wooden jig and use an angle grinder with a large diamond blade?
                Most likely, I'll be running in to the same problems
                My build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...way-19491.html

Comment

I definatly will try other routes today I've spent a lot of time already on the arch I'm trying to be patient once I finish the inner arch bricks I can transfer everything to the hearth. I have seen other builds with and without tapers worse case I will taper as much as possible none of it will be visable at least just the bottom edge of the top arch for the reveal.

Comment

today I attempted the cuts on the arch bricks and was successful I had to cut half the brick then flip it and maneuver them.
                    Is it a good or bad idea to cut the arch angle out where it intersects with the dome or wait until each row meets.
                    I'm ready to transfer to the hearth rain today, Friday and Saturday I'm busy hopefully Sunday.
                    Is it possible to lay multiple chains in one day I plan On taking vacation days to work on the oven but if I can't work through the chains it probably wouldn't be worth it.
                    I am also extending the pillars to also meet with the dome hopefully everything will go smooth
                    I have about 3" of brick dust in a 5 gallon pail is the brick dust better or same as fireclay I was going to use it for a just in case cast plug or any large mistakes

Comment

Is it possible to lay multiple chains in one day
                      Yes, the mortar will hold well enough to keep things in place and once a chain is complete is becomes self supporting. Balancing the overwhelming need to forge ahead with attention to detail is a discipline of its own but the two things are compatible. Finding the time is the tricky bit.

Sounds like you are ready to make a determined push. All the best with it.
                      Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

I hear you!! hopefully everything will go well thanks...

Comment

Let's keep the nomenclature standard and call them "courses" not chains. If you use an anchor brick (or "lead" as it is known in masonry), you can lay as many courses as you can lay in any given time frame. Below is a picture of a lead.

Comment

Is there a need to put a vapor barrier under the insulation board and hearth something like aluminum foil. I'm wondering if moisture is a problem also between brick and board?

Comment

Well the rain let up so I decided to push forward the tent goes up and on we go I laid the ceramic board squared the floor and transferred the floor so far so good. Maybe later I'll lay the first course

Comment

Is there a need to put a vapor barrier under the insulation board and hearth something like aluminum foil. I'm wondering if moisture is a problem also between brick and board?
                                Plastic or a moisture resistant paint between the structural hearth and the insulation layer would be best. Aluminum foil would probably disintegrate over time. I don't think that any moisture barriers above this level should be included.
                                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Working...
                                X