30"/760mm Scotland Pompeii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 30"/760mm Scotland Pompeii

I have always like the European chimney pot and originally wanted to place one on my oven but never figured how to get one back on the plane back to the US.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
      Nice solution for the cap. You could slurry coat the top of the cap for a smoother finish.
      I'm planning to render it in the same way I render the plinth. Haven't decided on a finish yet.

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
      I have always like the European chimney pot and originally wanted to place one on my oven but never figured how to get one back on the plane back to the US.
      This pot was ?40/~$70 and it looks like shipping it to the US would be another $70. I wonder if it would survive transit .

Today I put a chimney cap on. Had to modify it a bit by bending and shortening the metal straps to make it fit better. Cost ?25 from ebay.

Last edited by jms; 06-24-2014, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Today I moved the canopy aside and started the normal curing schedule. Goodbye to my clean brickwork

The side walls reached 150c/300f after a couple of hours and I kept it there by feeding more briquettes for a few more hours. Tomorrow I'm going to start it early and try to get it a bit hotter all day, and then move onto wood the next day.

Does anyone have experience getting old permanent marker out of firebrick?

Comment

That looks awesome. You should be very proud

Originally posted by jms View Post
          Does anyone have experience getting old permanent marker out of firebrick?
          900 degree fire should do the trick...
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Since the last post I've completed the dome brickwork and finished with a concrete plug. I had wanted to wait until I'd fired the oven a few times (to drive any possible moisture out), but it has been raining every other day and firing it means I have to move the canopy. I decided that just getting it waterproofed and able to fire it without worrying about rain is more important.

Comment

Then I got the final brick cutting out of the way. Just straightening stuff to make it look better once it is pointed.

Comment

Then I started pointing and got the arch done. Just a simple white sand/white cement mix.

Comment

G'day
                  That outer coating of brick will go a long way to waterproofing the oven. But you still have the Achilles heel of any oven in the open and that's the hearth at the entrance. That hearth brick will soak up any rain that falls on in. It will wick into your oven and of course your insulation will soak it up real fast. A tarp laid on the hearth is a good enough temporary measure, but a outer door is what you'll want in the long term.
                  Regards dave
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once
                  Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                  My Door
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                    G'day
                    That outer coating of brick will go a long way to waterproofing the oven. But you still have the Achilles heel of any oven in the open and that's the hearth at the entrance. That hearth brick will soak up any rain that falls on in. It will wick into your oven and of course your insulation will soak it up real fast. A tarp laid on the hearth is a good enough temporary measure, but a outer door is what you'll want in the long term.
                    Regards dave
                    Yep, I'm planning on building an outer door for this reason.

Did some more pointing today, finished the chimney and started on the dome.

Comment

I've finished pointing over the last two days.

Next I've got to clean it up. I've also started buying pizzamaking supplies.

Comment

Very nice looking oven .
                        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

The first products of the oven.

Caputo 00 dough (20hrs bulk fermented, 6 hrs balled, both at room temp), San Marzano sieved tomato sauce, mozzerella, chorizo. Made 6.

Comment

Banana and Confiture de Lait (Milk Caramel sauce) dessert pizzas. Made 2.

Next time I need to go hotter and build a bigger bed of embers. I aimed to not overload the oven this first time, but I know it can higher to get that really spotty effect on the crust.

Comment

I've made up my weatherproofing door over the last few days. The wood was part of an old tabletop, sanded down, and four coats of varnish. With a couple of handles and a weathersealing strip around it.

Comment

I've finished cleaning the oven brickwork. I just wish I'd done it before the mortar set and then it wouldn't have taken a couple of days.

Comment

Working...
                                X