• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 30"/760mm Scotland Pompeii

Right, insulate, insulate, insulate!!!
    Chip

Comment

She will stay warm for sure. I wrapped my oven 3 times with 1" thick blanket I could tell you 24 hours later my oven is still 200-300 degrees warm it's amazing.

Comment

How are you going to finish the oven JMS?

Comment

Originally posted by Bookemdanno View Post
          How are you going to finish the oven JMS?
          The oven is getting enclosed in a brick outer-dome. Like cobblerdave's build but with bricks which will withstand the scottish weather

Comment

Over the last week we've got a lot of the outer dome up. This oven is turning into quite the monster.

Comment

Wow!! I reall y like it great job. It is big, bigger is always better.

Comment

Now that it's nearly summer I'm continuing my build.

I stopped a week or so after the last post due to lack of free time and then covered the oven over winter. Progress at that point was this (photo taken after I took the cover off)

The layers of vertical bricks were a bit of a messy job for when I had to start curving the dome. Until that point I had tried to keep a gap between the bricks and insulation, but when I needed to start curving the dome it got difficult and it seemed like the easiest way at the time. I can think of better ways to do it with hindsight but I don't want to dismantle that much brickwork because it is rock solid, and I'm going to be pointing all of it anyway so I think it'll look fine at the end.

One thing I have changed my mind about is how to build the chimney so that's what I've done since taking the tarp off. To make it easier on myself I've taken the top bricks off of the arch and one brick at each layer on both sides of the dome so that when I finish the chimney I can tie it all together a bit more neatly. It's a dirty mess at the moment.

I've not fired it yet so I want to get the chimney done ASAP.

Comment

Forgot to post some progress

Comment

The problem I've had with the chimney stack is that the vent opening on the inner-arch is too far back. I forgot to compensate for the thickness of the outer brickwork when I positioned it. It has made this whole part much harder than it needed to be because means squishing a square box into the side of the dome. My brickwork isn't very pretty, but I hope it'll be functional in keeping the rain out of the oven.

I cast a chimney crown which is currently curing, then tomorrow or the day after I'll get it mortared on top of the stack with the chimney pot and then I can finally think about firing this thing.

After I've fired it a good few times I'm going to complete the dome, then clean all the brickwork and point the joints.
                    Last edited by jms; 06-17-2014, 12:00 PM.

Comment

G'day
                      Impressed with that dome and chimney transition, it's turned out quite neat.
                      The overall look of the is great and I think that chimney setback is quite a feature. Can't wait to see the chimney pot I situ
                      Regards dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once
                      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                      My Door
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

jms,

I flicked through the pictures of your build. The whole project looks one of a professional. I was inspired by your simple IT and your elegant brick finishing for the dome. I'll be learning lots from this thread. I've just added it to my favorite.
                        Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
                        I forgot who said that.

Comment

Removed the concrete form after a couple of days and I think it turned out as well as it could.

Comment

I wanted to let the concrete cure for a few more days so in the meantime I cleaned the brickwork of the arch and chimney.

Today I placed the chimney crown. It was pretty heavy, requiring two to lift it, so manoeuvring from ladders was going to be awkward. I set up a scaffold to make things easier.

Comment

It took two attempts to place the crown because the mortar dried too quickly on the first (thankfully the scaffold made undoing it easy), but eventually I got it situated and then mortared the chimney pot on top.

Comment

Nice solution for the cap. You could slurry coat the top of the cap for a smoother finish.
                                Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                                John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
                                X