Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 30"/760mm Scotland Pompeii

Originally posted by jms View Post
    I'll definitely consider that for the next course.

I got the inner arch up and mortared. 3:1:1:1 is much nicer to work with than the premix. It got dark before I could take a picture. I'm happy with it, but its not particularly seamless compared to many on the forum. I'm more concerned with getting the oven finished before 2059 than complete perfection now
    I spent a lot of time, actually did it twice. And now i look at the oven and not only can no one else see my work, i can't even see it. You are progressing rapidly if you have the inner arch built and from what i have seen so far, your build is definitely a quality one. Glad to hear the homebrew is serving you well. Hang in there, it will be over before you know it.

Texman
    Texman Kitchen
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

I got two courses done today. I decided not to alter the front corner soldiers which weren't in complete alignment, instead just placing the courses in the correct position and getting a 3/4" step at the front corner.

The courses went on pretty easily. The IT worked well but I need to rebuild it tomorrow because one of the pieces of plywood I used has started to separate.

Comment

jms
        That looks really good. And you are fast! I think you will be really happy with your oven. That arch looks great too. I am glad you tapered those and you will be too. keep up the good work.

Texman
        Texman Kitchen

Comment

Looking good, jms!

Don't feel bad about cutting some of the bricks smaller to get better angles and avoid lining up the joints. I have a small oven like you - which means the radii are much tighter than the big oven guys have. Smaller bricks segments make it a little easier to keep nice curves. I use 1/3 bricks from about row 6 and for the top layers I used 1/4 bricks

Comment

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
            Don't feel bad about cutting some of the bricks smaller to get better angles and avoid lining up the joints. I have a small oven like you - which means the radii are much tighter than the big oven guys have. Smaller bricks segments make it a little easier to keep nice curves. I use 1/3 bricks from about row 6 and for the top layers I used 1/4 bricks
            I'm definitely going to look into doing this tomorrow, possibly 1/3 brick from course 4.

On another topic, what does everyone do with their offcuts and saw waste? From the floor+soldiers+courses1&2+inner arch I've got nearly a full bucket of wet firebrick dust and a nearly full 40litre tub of offcuts .

Comment

I had probably 10 gallons of clay and a heaped wheelbarrow of scrap brick. Kept 5 gal of clay and to the trash with rest. you can use the clay in your homebrew.
              Tex
              Texman Kitchen

Comment

Dry out the dust, and sell it on Ebay for the next oven builder?
                Use the offcuts to wedge your bricks further up the dome?

Make a scale model of your oven?

Anyway, best to hoard it until you've definitely finished.

Comment

On another topic, what does everyone do with their offcuts and saw waste? From the floor+soldiers+courses1&2+inner arch I've got nearly a full bucket of wet firebrick dust and a nearly full 40litre tub of offcuts .
                  Yeah, the bane of oven building. I had piles of it too. As Tex recommends, sift out some of the dust for fireclay to use in your home brew. Some of the larger brick cutoff bits may become usable as you get to the top of the dome. The rest is unfortunately landfill bound.
                  My build progress
                  My WFO Journal on Facebook
                  My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

The weather for most of today was pretty crap but it cleared up enough for me to get half of the third course on before dark.

I think I'll start from the back of the oven for future courses, with what I've done today I can see how easy it is to get compounding straight mortar joints rather than a stagger.

Comment

Finished courses 3 and 4. I moved onto 1/3 bricks for course 4, the extra mortaring was a load of fun

Comment

It is looking great. I bet you can almost smell the pizza.
                        Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
                          It is looking great. I bet you can almost smell the pizza.
                          Almost. I'd really like to have the oven watertight within two weeks. Maybe I'll even get a pizza next weekend

Comment

Almost. I'd really like to have the oven watertight within two weeks. Maybe I'll even get a pizza next weekend
                            That would be pushing it, go slow with the curing fires, I think you should plan on 3 -4 weeks minimum. You do not want to put major stress on that nice structure.

Be happily with roasted veggies and or othe medium heat items while curing. You will be happier with minimal cracks, I have cracks but they are very small and oven is performing gerat after almost 2 years.
                            Chip

Comment

Course 5 is on. Just the top of the arch transition to add tomorrow. I think i've avoided a bad droop although the transition is a bit messy.

Comment

Coming along very nicely.
                                Chip

Comment

Working...
                                X