• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 42" build in Central Texas

He said "Shrinkage"
    My build documentary page:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1011587...iredOvenBuild#

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

Like a frightened Turtle!
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Back from Amsterdam,,,,, and no I wasnt there for the Hookers and Pot! I saw them but didnt partake lol!
        Insulated the Dome today. 2-4" of Ceramic Blanket and another 2-4" of fiberglass roll insulation that I had laying around my shop. Any reason not to do the Fiberglass???? I do plan on filling the enclosure with Perlite

Click image for larger version

Name:	20131017_150035.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	804.4 KB
ID:	297907

Name:	20131017_150056.jpg
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	297908

Name:	20131017_171846.jpg
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	297909

Name:	20131017_172152.jpg
Size:	1,002.8 KB
ID:	297910
        Last edited by GarnerAC; 10-17-2013, 04:11 PM.

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

Garner AC,

The gang on the Forum ganged up on me about using foil encased insulation due to the potential of trapping moisture underneath so I ended up punching hundred of holes in the foil as a means for any moisture to move through.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

You guys might like this: 15th Annual Garner Crawfish Boil - May 11, 2013 - YouTube
            My buddy is a videographer and we shot this short video at our 15th annual Crawfish Boil last May. Next year we will do a Pizza Party too.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
              Garner AC,

The gang on the Forum ganged up on me about using foil encased insulation due to the potential of trapping moisture underneath so I ended up punching hundred of holes in the foil as a means for any moisture to move through.
              Mine has plenty of breathability I believe. The seams arent taped, just stapled using these staples and there are inherent small gaps but i may poke some holes too!:

Name:	20131017_172049.jpg
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	297912

Comment

The crawfish looked good. Ever try thowing smoked sausage in with the boil? I like greenbeans and artichokes too.

Comment

We always do sausage. No idea why it didn't show up in the video. Artichokes may get a try next year. Green beans? ?? Let me think about that,,,,,,,,,,,,,, no!

Comment

Ha. Mushrooms are good too, assuming you like them. My neighbor is big on adding lemon oil to the water as well as the ice trick you used. I've never noticed a difference. I like adding Zatarrain's boil in the bag to the water especially for shrimp and crabs.

Comment

Get something like a fence paling and hammer half a dozen nails through the end so they protrude about 1/4 " then slap that foil silly. I've tried the foil on my oven between the insulation and the outer shell. I only perforated the foil in two patches about 3" in diam. Now when the oven gets really wet and I'm drying it out the outer shell gets quite hot at those points, indicating that steam is passing through there. It is a pain and makes the oven harder to dry out. I have not used foil since.
                      If you are doing an enclosure there will be less of a problem removing water and the foil will work better as an insulation layer because it is not in direct contact with a conductive surface, but I think you should still give it the perforation treatment.
                      Last edited by david s; 10-18-2013, 04:50 AM.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by GarnerAC View Post
                        Back from Amsterdam,,,,, and no I wasnt there for the Hookers and Pot! I saw them but didnt partake lol!
                        Insulated the Dome today. 2-4" of Ceramic Blanket and another 2-4" of fiberglass roll insulation that I had laying around my shop. Any reason not to do the Fiberglass???? I do plan on filling the enclosure with Perlite

[ATTACH]39584[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]39585[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]39586[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]39587[/ATTACH]
                        Gudday
                        I have " domestic insulation" over 2 in of ceramic insulation. The 2 in of ceramic more than drops the heat before it gets to that layer . You should be good to go with 3 ins. Forget the pearlite cement layer now and drying should be easy.
                        For anyone reading this rockwool fiberglass domestic insulation can not be used as the primary insulation in an oven . But as a secondary it works but it must have a high temp insulation layer to protect it
                        Regards dave
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once
                        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                        My Door
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Dave, rockwool (mineral wool) is different than fiberglass and works great. It is made from basalt, a very hard igneous stone and mineral wool can withstand temperatures exceeding 2000*.
                          Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                          John Ruskin

Comment

I dont plan on this getting wet other than humidity from normal Texas days. The enclosure will be sealed up so where would any moisture go anyway?? Am I supposed to vent the enclosure?

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                              Dave, rockwool (mineral wool) is different than fiberglass and works great. It is made from basalt, a very hard igneous stone and mineral wool can withstand temperatures exceeding 2000*.
                              Gudday stonecutter
                              Yes I know (now) what rockwool is but what I have is fiberglass insulation sold under the name of rockwool . Different parts of the world do have differing names
                              At first , of course I was worried, but I cut a section out of the oven dome and took some temp readings.
                              It was cool enough for the Fiberglass.
                              If you go to the " introductions" section "Hi new Aussie" you will find my investigations. They really show have effective ceramic insulation is.
                              For my money I would now use "rockwool" insulation it's local available and cheaper than ceramic .
                              I would also rate it above pearlite/cement in ease to use and not introducing more water to dry out of your build.
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once
                              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                              My Door
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Garner..dry out the oven before enclosing..no vent needed.

Dave..I use mineral wool for all my builds except one. Very pleased with it. Strange they call fiberglass insulation rockwool, since only mineral wool is the one made from basalt.
                                Last edited by stonecutter; 10-18-2013, 07:45 AM.
                                Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                                John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
                                X