• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stonecutter
    replied
    Re: 42" build in Central Texas

Originally posted by GarnerAC View Post
    A couple days ago Tscar asked me if I had cooked anything yet and I had to pitifully answer no. Well today I was up to 500 while curing so I thought I'd throw down some Salmon! First cook! Happy Happy Happy

[ATTACH]39318[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]39319[/ATTACH]
    Next he'll be nagging you about completing the oven.

Everything looks great BTW!

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

A couple days ago Tscar asked me if I had cooked anything yet and I had to pitifully answer no. Well today I was up to 500 while curing so I thought I'd throw down some Salmon! First cook! Happy Happy Happy

Click image for larger version

Name:	WFO Salmon-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	387.4 KB
ID:	297701

Click image for larger version

Name:	20131003_183619.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	947.5 KB
ID:	297702
    Last edited by GarnerAC; 10-03-2013, 06:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

Looking good. You've made a lot of progress. I am planning a very similar landing to what you are doing, but haven't gotten to it yet. The weather is starting to get iffy so I will probably have to hold off on the pour until spring. My roof extends beyond the front of the oven enough to keep rain off, but blowing snow may cause some problems so I have to do something to keep things dry until spring.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

I think it would look better than caulk ..but it doesn't matter what I think.

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    Sorry...my masonry translator isn't always on.

I'm sure your joint will be fine too...my suggestion had more to do with aesthetics than necessity.
    Yeah it would look good, wouldnt it...... hmmmmm

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

No Comprende "bed joint"
    Im talking about the visible seam between the firebrick and the granite, on the surface.
    Sorry...my masonry translator isn't always on.

I'm sure your joint will be fine too...my suggestion had more to do with aesthetics than necessity.

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

LoL, My brain didnt even go there. Good one!
    "Masonry units"

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

No Comprende "bed joint"
    Its what you smoke if you are having trouble sleeping.

"A horizontal layer of mortar on which masonry units are laid"

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

No Comprende "bed joint"
    Im talking about the visible seam between the firebrick and the granite, on the surface.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Wait a minute...when you say seam, are you referring to the bed joint?

I thought you were talking about the surface seam between the granite and the floor brick of the vent area. Yep, caulk only for a bed joint is fine.

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

I really think that the seam between the granite and floor will be OK. Between my overhang, a small slope on the granite and a good heat resistant silicone/caulk in the 1" seam, i'll be fine. Just fired it up for another day of 300-400

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

Yesterday it ran for 12 hrs at 300 and the inner arch and inside of the chimney base was almost black, the dome is a deep dark brown but the outer arch has no color or staining. I will have a decorative arch that will add another 3/4" or so of depth
    Last edited by GarnerAC; 10-01-2013, 07:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

I had to do that in my oven in CT but not my current one. A couple things I did different are that I made the throat bigger, and I made my outer arch about 1/4" smaller than the vent arch ( which is 1" wider than the oven opening). My oven had no choice but to face the prevailing wind, which is constant here on the lake. This oven has an awesome draw...it has all to do with that flue opening. I never have to preheat this flue like I did in CT. I'll post a video on my thread someday. But I think this is an area that gets undersized a lot. It doesn't matter if the opening is large, because once heat travels past the oven opening, it is lost to the oven whether the flue opening is small or large.
    Last edited by stonecutter; 10-01-2013, 04:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    Oh, and for pre-heating the flue, you can also twist up a roll of burning newspaper and hold it to the flue as you start a small oven fire.....metal flue heats up fast.
    That is pretty much what I do. I would have replied earlier but, TDS.Net went down right after I made the reply . It was still down when I was drinking my coffee before leaving for work at 4:00 am this morning . I saw one of their trucks on the highway at the end of my drive when I was leaving .

I start my fire in the oven. By the time that first little drift of smoke/heat falls low enough to exit the inner arch, it is following an already trained column of rising air upward and not into my face .

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

....... I was thinking the SS channel would ride the other way, all the way between the Granite and Oven channeling the water left or right, a gutter if u will.
    That works too, but it would probably continually build up crud, unless you want to clean it constantly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X