• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cobblerdave
    replied
    Re: 42" build in Central Texas

Originally posted by GarnerAC View Post
    Back from Amsterdam,,,,, and no I wasnt there for the Hookers and Pot! I saw them but didnt partake lol!
    Insulated the Dome today. 2-4" of Ceramic Blanket and another 2-4" of fiberglass roll insulation that I had laying around my shop. Any reason not to do the Fiberglass???? I do plan on filling the enclosure with Perlite

[ATTACH]39584[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]39585[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]39586[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]39587[/ATTACH]
    Gudday
    I have " domestic insulation" over 2 in of ceramic insulation. The 2 in of ceramic more than drops the heat before it gets to that layer . You should be good to go with 3 ins. Forget the pearlite cement layer now and drying should be easy.
    For anyone reading this rockwool fiberglass domestic insulation can not be used as the primary insulation in an oven . But as a secondary it works but it must have a high temp insulation layer to protect it
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Get something like a fence paling and hammer half a dozen nails through the end so they protrude about 1/4 " then slap that foil silly. I've tried the foil on my oven between the insulation and the outer shell. I only perforated the foil in two patches about 3" in diam. Now when the oven gets really wet and I'm drying it out the outer shell gets quite hot at those points, indicating that steam is passing through there. It is a pain and makes the oven harder to dry out. I have not used foil since.
    If you are doing an enclosure there will be less of a problem removing water and the foil will work better as an insulation layer because it is not in direct contact with a conductive surface, but I think you should still give it the perforation treatment.
    Last edited by david s; 10-18-2013, 04:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

Ha. Mushrooms are good too, assuming you like them. My neighbor is big on adding lemon oil to the water as well as the ice trick you used. I've never noticed a difference. I like adding Zatarrain's boil in the bag to the water especially for shrimp and crabs.

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

We always do sausage. No idea why it didn't show up in the video. Artichokes may get a try next year. Green beans? ?? Let me think about that,,,,,,,,,,,,,, no!

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

The crawfish looked good. Ever try thowing smoked sausage in with the boil? I like greenbeans and artichokes too.

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Garner AC,

The gang on the Forum ganged up on me about using foil encased insulation due to the potential of trapping moisture underneath so I ended up punching hundred of holes in the foil as a means for any moisture to move through.
    Mine has plenty of breathability I believe. The seams arent taped, just stapled using these staples and there are inherent small gaps but i may poke some holes too!:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20131017_172049.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	297912

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

You guys might like this: 15th Annual Garner Crawfish Boil - May 11, 2013 - YouTube
    My buddy is a videographer and we shot this short video at our 15th annual Crawfish Boil last May. Next year we will do a Pizza Party too.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Garner AC,

The gang on the Forum ganged up on me about using foil encased insulation due to the potential of trapping moisture underneath so I ended up punching hundred of holes in the foil as a means for any moisture to move through.

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

Back from Amsterdam,,,,, and no I wasnt there for the Hookers and Pot! I saw them but didnt partake lol!
    Insulated the Dome today. 2-4" of Ceramic Blanket and another 2-4" of fiberglass roll insulation that I had laying around my shop. Any reason not to do the Fiberglass???? I do plan on filling the enclosure with Perlite

Name:	20131017_150035.jpg
Size:	804.4 KB
ID:	297907

Name:	20131017_150056.jpg
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	297908

Name:	20131017_171846.jpg
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	297909

Name:	20131017_172152.jpg
Size:	1,002.8 KB
ID:	297910
    Last edited by GarnerAC; 10-17-2013, 04:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Like a frightened Turtle!

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

He said "Shrinkage"

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Those are shrinkage cracks and are meaningless.

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
    Those look fine to me, KB.

On my oven, before I closed everything in, I did a final mix of slurry to cover all visible cracks. Now that it is closed I neither know nor care if there are any hairline cracks!

If I strain I think I can see some small cracks inside - but after several months of firings nothing is getting worse so I also put those in the "don't care" category!
    I thought about that but it just seems that it would crack again right there where there movement is. Im going to Insulate the dog out of it and not give it much more thought.

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

Those look fine to me, KB.

On my oven, before I closed everything in, I did a final mix of slurry to cover all visible cracks. Now that it is closed I neither know nor care if there are any hairline cracks!

If I strain I think I can see some small cracks inside - but after several months of firings nothing is getting worse so I also put those in the "don't care" category!

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

Cracks
    I know that cracks are normal and its practically impossible to heat a masonry product up to 500-900, and have it not crack. Just want to describe mine and see if it seems normal.
    Looking from the outside: There is one hairline crack that goes almost all the way around the dome on a plane even with the base of the chimney and a couple of verticals that go up to the circular one. I can see a couple places where it "zigs" around a brick or two. They get slightly larger than a human hair at the highest heat level Ive been to, which is about 500. Higher Im sure when the flame was near a wall. Ive move the fire around to spread heat out. I dont see anything on the inside yet but will examine closer today.

Name:	Cracks.jpg
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	297703

Leave a comment:

Working...
X