Is the home depot vermiculite good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is the home depot vermiculite good?

The difference is not small, David, it is almost double for open VS closed cell foams.

Comment

You can't compare R values of foam to perlite. I could easily use that surface area reasoning to say a cavity filled with sand is a better insulator than course gravel...and I doubt that.

What I'm saying is that R-vaule is determined not just by size of the material but what the material is made of. A perlcrete slab made with fine perlite is closer to a solid mass than a slab that is made with course perlite.....period. So in my mind, fine grains will not insulate as well as course grains, because of the conductivity of the cement in the slab.

I find it impossible to see how fine grade perlite will have a higher R-value because of this. Air is a poor heat conductor compared to solid material.
      However, I am not so stubborn that I can't see the possibility that fine grade may have an edge over course...simply by functioning by trapping more heat by not having the larger cavities.

Conversely, do the finer particles conduct and transmit more heat because they are more densely packed? This is a possibility too.

I have a feeling we are splitting hairs. But I can guarantee you one thing....course perlite is not as dusty to work with.
      Last edited by stonecutter; 08-16-2013, 05:48 AM.
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

1 part - Type I/II portland cement ( not pre-mix containing sand or masonry cement)

6 parts perlite or vermiculite.
        I will do that then, but what confused me was the getting started thread, which says concrete mix in the drawing.
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/h...sophy-693.html

Comment

You can't compare R values of foam to perlite. I could easily use that surface area reasoning to say a cavity filled with sand is a better insulator than course gravel...and I doubt that.
          I don't have lots of experience but, I've seen hearts in South America composed by broken glass and salt, or even beer bottles .
          Last edited by martin_80x; 08-14-2013, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by martin_80x View Post
            I've seen hearts in South America composed by broken glass and salt, or even beer bottles .
            I've seen that too, along with clay earth mixed with sawdust.

We do this occasionally...and I love it. A good discussion ( without getting bent out of shape) will just make you a better builder....and a better forum user.
            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by martin_80x View Post
              I will do that then, but what confused me was the getting started thread, which says concrete mix in the drawing.
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/h...sophy-693.html
              Because it has the components of concrete - Portland cement, aggregate and water.
              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                The difference is not small, David, it is almost double for open VS closed cell foams.
                That may be true for open vs closed foam cells which have different surface properties. But small vs large grains of vermiculite have similar surfaces.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I've not seen any published data on the relative insulating values of fine vs coarse vermiculite so it may be up to us to conduct some tests. I don't have any of the fine stuff on hand, but may try to get a bag next time I need more. Then make up some samples and test them. I'd also be quite interested to see the difference between the insulating values of 5:1 vermicrete and 10:1, so could also include samples of eac of these in the test.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                  X