Somewhere in the slumering suburbs of Stockholm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somewhere in the slumering suburbs of Stockholm

Buonasera a tutti gli amanti della pizza! (At least it?s Evening for me)

I'm here to contribute with my build of a Pompeii type oven and hopefully get som questions answered, and advices. And yeah, my english sometimes leaves a lot to be desired. Anyway, the oven i'm building is a pretty small one (Only ~26 inches inner diameter) so don't start making fun of me, not yet. I wanted to build a bigger one but that wasn't all that popular. I'm building it at my parent's house. When i first presented the idea of making the foundation and slab 1 x 1 meter (Sorry for the European messurements) this was not popular. So i started to draw and learned the 3D program Sketchup on the way, formerly known as google Sketchup i think, really easy to use and learn. This time reducing the messurements to 750 mm, just to find how ridiculous it was with no space for a serviceable dome. Not knowing or thinking of any kind of insulation. But then i started to search for all kind of information on the internet and eventually ended up here, and im really glad i did. By this time i had changed the size to 850mm, allright... 33.4645669 inches. Parents was pleased with this, but still not me. By now i was reading about thermal conductivity, fire blankets and vermicrete, vermicrete WTF is this ? i thought... the more i read about all this it just got more and more interesting, i was hooked, I could feel the ancient gods of Pompeii and the modern physicists of heat keeping endorsement was talking to me in tongues.
    After long debates and emphasizing the critical points of having a good insulation of the oven, my father finally agreed to the 1 x 1 meter measurements. Everything good, everyone satisfied. Actually it's a little longer on one side with a cantilever now in front, and he actually liked the idea, allthough he makes witty comments of the oven getting bigger and bigger for every day, then planned. Let the old man have some fun! if it's the least I can offer. More about my fathers wittyness another time. Oh damn, i guess the time has runned away from me again. More in depth description of the build another day if someone shows an intresset in it, im more than glad to share what i have done so far.

Later
    Karl

Re: Somewhere in the slumering suburbs of Stockholm

Well, First of all. It's spelled slumbering.

Second, That's a lot of gibberisch. Don't you think that introduction is a little to long ?

Less talk, More Action. Or at least some pictures...
    Then maybe someone will show an interest.

Best regards
    / The litte red guy on your shoulder.

Comment

Trolls speaking to themselves, how bizarre.....
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Actually, trolls are common in these part of the world,
        although im sure you didn't mean that kind of troll.
        Is it a good thing to be called a Troll on the first reply by the way ?
        I hope i didn't scare you all away.

This is actually my first time ever writing in a forum (or second). So this will be both interesting and instructive.

Hi Al, good to have you here. Your oven looks fantastic by the way!

Anyway, It all started by sheer chance, I had built me my own forge and needed a place where I could put it to use. My parents had a free spot in their backyard (I live in a condo). Then i got the idea i could build a housing for the forge to consentrate the heat. And at a dinner at their house we came up with the idea to combine the forge and a pizza oven (an odd idea at first) having the forge underneath to burn wood. But i later realised that this wasn't a good idea. And i got the fire bricks really cheap from a guy who had worked at - Gustavsberg - famus swedish porcelain factory. They had put some of the kilns out of business and he got a great amount of bricks for free.

I'll post some pictures of the forge.

/Karl the troll

Comment

You look too relaxed, arhum, sitting by the forge, I built a gas forge with forced air and there is no time at all for sitting.....

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Well i would build one out of a jet engine if i could, and there would be no time for sitting or standing. I'd call it Air Forced One
            But that was all the material i could find at work.
            And I'm only gonna use it for small jobs such as knife forgery at my free time.

I guess everything i build is small. One good point is that i will have the space for it under the Pizza oven when not in use.

Comment

Welcome to FB Forum Karl.
              Looking forward to your build.

Texman
              Texman Kitchen
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Thank you Texman.

I'll be posting my progress at late evening. Time zone is UTC/GMT +1 hour over here.

The first picture is my progress so far. The top boards are light AAC blocks. Much Like these: http://picklemedia1.scrippsnetworks....3_medium.jpg?0
                Nice dog house by the way.

I think it's thermal conductivity is around 0.19W/mK. The boards or blocks are 50 mm thick. That's around 2 inches. Underneath that is a 50 mm thick insulating mineral fiber board.

The stand is made out of LECA (Light Expanded Clay Aggregate) blocks witch also has good thermal conductivity features, not that this matters in this regard, but because thats the thing they sell over here, concrete blocks are not that common over here. Not for the consumer market anyway. I read a thread, i think it was here on FB. A russian guy using these, he said it was because of the cold climate. And that's also true for Sweden.

Another good thing about these is that they can carry a great load of weight, although it's leightweight properties. The cons are maybe that they take up water really easy. Claydite witch is what these blocks are made of is often used in agriculture. I read somewere that they are not that usual over in the U.S and actually more expensive than vermiculite. Correct me if im wrong. Another good thing is that i can saw them with a type of hand saw specially made for leightweight concrete, easier than sawing wood.

Long post again, but i think i covered most of the details.

Comment

I'll actually have some time off today so i will post some pictures. I'll also post dates for the pictures. I will randomly jump in time and space. I'll try to not make it harder then the time line of these movies: Looper, Primer.

Yesterday when i was about to start working on the oven i discovered that some of the top boards hadn't cured well with the masonry, they were actually loose. Not good. I used a refactory masonry bought from the market. I should have firmly established them one by one but i wanted it leveled as well as possible. And while putting them in place, one of them broke. So i had to go and get a new one. And before putting them together i had moved them around to much. I only got two of them fixated.

So, back to the market looking for som heat resistance structural adhesives.
                  But then i found something even better: Soudal Calofer. I think this is for the industrial market. This is a discription i found on the net ( the sealant is not with me right now, but it said something about the use in ovens, Perfect!) "Calofer or Fire Cement HT is high quality, very high temperature resistant sealant, withstanding temperatures of up to 1500?c!" Good, more then plenty enough.

I will also use this to get the outer cast iron door fixated. It said something in the description about this, being suitible against iron. The iron door is probably from the first half of the last century. You may notice that i put little pieces of ACC-blocks underneath and around the mineral board (I just cut out square cavites for this) to support the ones on top. The pictures are from yesterday. Except the one of the door, it's dated June 4.

Comment

I like the door , what part of the oven is it going to go on...dome or arch? If its going on the arch way, with a chininey in between, I suggest you take a look at "Brickie's" build....His damper[flue] is quite a deal....Same for Gulf's "Mississippi Queen"...If its going on the dome, your going to have to make your arch wide enough to swing it...and it should probably have a thermal break around the frame.... Looks large for a 26" dome.
                    Last edited by thickstrings; 08-23-2013, 02:17 PM.
                    " Life is art, live a masterpiece"

Comment

Hi Thickstrings.

It's going to be on the outer arch. And then it will be tapered.
                      I'll post my plans and the dimensions tomorrow. I'll look up the threads you mentioned, thanks.

I have caught some kind of flu, All i see is pizza ovens every where, Brick wall's and archways, and building materials. It's not that serious, it's more of inspiring. I hope it will stay that way. On my way home from my parents i am passing this place where the A-team houses. They never bother anyone but them self, and they seem to have it quite nice. The municipality has arranged so they have a barbecue, outdoor toilet and benches.
                      Yesterday when I passed, it was this very drunk man on all fours crawling out of a ditch. I asked if he needed help to get up, but he refused the offer. He just wanted to know witch way he should take. That i couldn't help him with thought. I hope he found what he was looking for. And i think they need a pizza oven, that could be my next project. If the municipality could sponsor me.

1#: The place 2#: Is that a spartan helmet ? 3#: If you read this Al, is this what you drink over there ? I have tried that wine, i think i remember it as a pretty decent wine, cheap and all. If this build goes all wrong, this is where i might end up. At least they got cheap Aussie wine

Good night, and good luck everyone.
                      Last edited by Southboom; 08-23-2013, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Southboom View Post
                        If you read this Al, is this what you drink over there ?
                        Never heard of it?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

The wine looks like an export package. There are some quite reasonable wines packaged this way. Probably Chateau Comalco or Chateau Cardboard.
                          Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
                            Chateau Cardboard.
                            Never heard that one before, but i like what i'm hearing.

Nights are getting colder, air is clear. Still we had the best weather in late summer for years. It's still typical summer temperatures for this region being around 69.8 Farenheit on the days. Could be the last week. I have decided to not work at weekends. Next week will be my last on vacation. And tomorrow i will go fishing, hopefully i'll get some fish. And if so, i'll post some pictures. it will also darken faster in the evenings, and it goes pretty fast from now on. So tomorrow i will buy a better light that i can hang in the top of the tent im building under.

I'll post some pictures of the plan as i said. 62% of 335 is 207. So i think the inner arch height is ok, but how about the width ?
                            And is the beginning of the flue wide enough ?

Last picture: While the amount of light is more then enough i need one in the roof top. I found a good cordless one with led's. I might have some pictures of it tomorrow.

Thanks in advance, and good night.
                            Last edited by Southboom; 08-24-2013, 05:06 PM.

Comment

I forgot to tell you,

I got the flue, im feverish and smoke are coming from my ears...

Ok, that was an awkwardly embarrassing atempt to make a joke.

I also forgot one picture.

Comment

Working...
                              X