No announcement yet.

How high to start curve of entry arch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How high to start curve of entry arch?

I was originally going to make a straight entrance, with angle iron across the top. I've been convinced by my brothers in ovens to not do this, and make an arch, as it seems the heating/cooling can degrade the iron over the years.

So...a this point, the bricks on the side of my opening are straight, up to a height of 9.5" (I started with a course of splits). I think (without checking the plans) that the ovening is supposed to be 12.5". So I'll have to take out a brick or two to create an arch that doesn't go over 12.5".

The question is: how high up can I start the curve of the arch? It seems some people start the curve on the second brick, some lay a couple down flat, then start the arch. I'd prefer to take out as few as possible.
    Last edited by jimkramer; 08-31-2013, 11:11 AM. Reason: clarity of post title
    Here's mine:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...man-15992.html

Re: How high to start curve of entry arch?

You can make a shallow arch work as you have it. Here is one:

Comment

bunch of comments for you
      1. rather than starting a new thread for each question you have - I suggest you ask them on your "Build for the common man" thread. Everybody who has commented there is subscribed and will see your questions - makes it easier to follow along and review relevant details like...
      2. ...the size of your oven. Your arch height should be ~63% of your dome height. So if your dome is going to be 20-21 inches high, you should be fine building a shallow arch. You may need to buttress your entry to make it strong enough
      3. Looking at your picture, I don't think your IT is designed correctly. The center of the pivot arm needs to hit the center of the brick course. Yours is set up so that it's hitting about 1/2" from the top of the brick. What will happen is that each course will be off axis a bit the courses will be staggered back by a bit. you need to put a spacer between the pivot arm and the wood that hits the top of your brick so that the center of the arm is @ 1.25" from the top of the brick.
      Last edited by deejayoh; 08-31-2013, 12:35 PM.
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

On the IT - here's a picture of the problem I see
        Click image for larger version

Name:	29790d1338376921-trouble-setback-brick-courses-need-advice-photo0528.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	824.4 KB
ID:	296999

And the solution
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IT_fix.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	297000

Pictures gratuitously stolen from other threads and posters
        My build progress

Comment

Tscar-
          Thanks for the shallow arch shot. I Very glad to hear I don't have to knock out lots of bricks to do it. Whose build is that from?

Deejayoh-

You can't see it in the other picture I posted, but the second piece of wood slides on top of the lower piece to make it adjustable, and then there's a metal bracket at the end, to hold the brick. I think you can see it better in this pic. I'll check again, but I'm pretty sure the center of the brick is in line with the pivot point. Please check this pic to see if it looks okay, as I'm very glad to have many second sets of eyes out there.

I'll try posting future questions in my build thread, to see how it goes. I just figured more would see my question if I posted it separately.
          Here's mine:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...man-15992.html

Comment

Here is a better pic of it. It is an oven I built for a friend.

Comment

Note that it is buttressed, both by the concrete band and the pilasters, because that is required for a shallow arch.

Comment

Originally posted by jimkramer View Post
                Deejayoh-

You can't see it in the other picture I posted, but the second piece of wood slides on top of the lower piece to make it adjustable, and then there's a metal bracket at the end, to hold the brick. I think you can see it better in this pic. I'll check again, but I'm pretty sure the center of the brick is in line with the pivot point. Please check this pic to see if it looks okay, as I'm very glad to have many second sets of eyes out there.
                Ah, I could not see that bracket - looks great. I've seen a few of the other types of IT so just commented to be on the safe side.
                My build progress

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                  Here is a better pic of it. It is an oven I built for a friend.

Layout solution :

Four corners on the left of the entry floor is off pattern to avoid a small triangle on the outside corner.
                  Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                  John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
                  X