• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cobblerdave
    replied
    Re: 42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia

Gudday
    Build your oven entranceway bigger than the oven door and you will always have a "lip" to seal an oven door ...and you'll have a greater opening to operate your oven through. It doesn't matter how deep its about how wide.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

Les, your reveal cuts are the same as Dino's, whose plan I'm following.

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

KB thanks...I am anxious to get into the arch. I should get to cement the rest of the entryway bricks this morning.

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

Jon, the build looks great! I haven't heard of any cons to it. Seems like the right place to fit the door.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

I don't think many I have seen have been built with a cut like your photo, Les. Most people finish the inner arch and then build the entry a bit bigger to create the reveal You have to build it that way if you want a heat break between the dome and entry

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Originally posted by mirassou View Post
    So I've been studying this transition and don't see where anyone has cut a 1" reveal on the outside of the arch bricks to accommodate the door.
    I thought most of us had cut the reveal.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Mirassou,
    Your build is coming along nicely. Look forward to watching your progress.

Leave a comment:

• kanoer54
    replied

i had read early on my quest for the WFO build there were pros and cons about the reveal for the door. i decided to go ahead and cut one in the inner arch bricks, just in case. thought it might help with the door sealing. i am just wrapping up building the inner arch door and will be using a tadpole gasket to help seal against the inner arch reveal.

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

With showers on and off, cemented most of the rest of course 3 above the soldier course today, as well as two courses on the left side of the entryway.

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

I'll have to try a few cuts.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

There has been a few but I have to think a little on who the builders were.

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

So I've been studying this transition and don't see where anyone has cut a 1" reveal on the outside of the arch bricks to accommodate the door.

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

I didn't get to cement the entrance today, will try tomorrow morning. Then, as Faith said...it'll be brick by brick.

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

...and thank you everyone for your comments. They are of significant help!

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

LOL...I wish I had a "paint by numbers" procedure, but what help from all of you it's slowly coming together in my mind. I'm going to cement the structural entrance tomorrow if it doesn't rain to get some kind of commitment to the process. Then we'll see how the arch support that I've made will fit in. I'm also considering how I'm going to make a further arch support for the expansion of the entryway. Dino didn't use arch supports for that, but I'm going to need to do that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X