X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mirassou
    replied
    Re: 42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia

Cemented the 4th course above the soldier and half the 5th course today--committed to the angle bricks for the start of the arch at 35 degrees, as well as the arch brick cuts done the other day...doing them each side one at a time and I'm not re-cutting the arch bricks like I previously indicated. They'll do fine. It's starting to get steep now!

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

Now that I think of it, I'm still either going to need to notch the bricks on each row that covers the arch, or I may need to re-cut all of the bricks in the arch in order to get 4.5" of depth in the slope to carry each of the bricks on the rows.

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

Finally cut the bricks for the arch today...I fussed with it for ages...I still have an issue in that the depth of the slope does not equal 4.5", so I'm going to have to figure that one out.

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

OK, I understand, will go for the larger one

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by mirassou View Post
    Allied has 12 x 12 and 8.5 x 12 pipes, but they also have an 8" inside diameter thimble which is 18" in height. I think I'll get a couple of these. With the roofline, I may need three.
    Mirassou,
    Don't cut yourself short most the ovens I've seen with the 8" flues mostly have smoke stains on the decorative arch. I went with a 8" x 17" glad I did, it also work out great transitioning the outer arch to vent/chimney. The smaller 8" depth worked to my advantage keeping the vent area depth to a minimum. Just my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

Cemented the rest of the third course above the soldier and more than half the fourth course today, as well as the entryway...tomorrow I'll try to tackle the angle cuts on the dreaded arch!

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

Allied has 12 x 12 and 8.5 x 12 pipes, but they also have an 8" inside diameter thimble which is 18" in height. I think I'll get a couple of these. With the roofline, I may need three.

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

Thanks! I'll see what they have and go 10" square if they have it, 8" round otherwise

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

To calculate the effective size of a flue, the I.D. is used for a round flue, for a square flue a circle is drawn inside and that is considered the effective area of the flue, so a 10" square flue is 78.54, a round 8" is 50.265. What is the inner arch opening size, that is the guiding dimension, not the size of the oven.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Round flues are more efficient, but that is more important for inside fireboxes and chambers ....outside, larger flues are better.
    Last edited by stonecutter; 10-18-2013, 10:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

I know that I thought I read somewhere, however, that the efficiency of a round flue was greater than that of a square or rectangular flue.

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

err... no!

10" square has a flue area of 100 square inches, 8" round has only 50 square inches. Almost exactly half!
    Last edited by boerwarrior; 10-18-2013, 09:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

Thanks Stonecutter! Oh, the other question that I had was whether an 8" round was equivalent to a 10" square/rectangle? I'd see if Allied Concrete has a precast square to round transition.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

10"....you can't over flue an oven..

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

I saw flue liners when I went to buy more bricks yesterday and I think I bought the wrong clay flue liner. I bought 8.5x8.5 and I'm seeing 10" on here for a 42" oven. Correct?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X