Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks

I have lurked here for a couple of years, and just recently started asking some questions, and I started my build a month ago. I feel that I have made good progress. I think I have attached a couple photos from last month.

Re: Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks

Good my photos attached. I'll post a few more. These are from the weekend of Sept 7. This is not the interesting part of the build, but I thought I might as well start at the beginning.

Comment

Bob

Thanks for posting and congrats on the base. Nice looking arch on the base too.

Texman
      Texman Kitchen
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Hi Bob, Looks good so far.... One thing I have noticed. Most people start a build, and and then fight the weather....me included. With fall, and rain coming, I would sugest you think about a roof over your build....before the " my insulation got wet, or its been raining for days and I".....I really hated fooling with tarps" Just a thought....4 posts and some barn tin ...Where are you at? I am between the Bostons and the Ouachita's . Not many Ozarkers on the forum...
        " Life is art, live a masterpiece"

Comment

Truman, thanks for the complement on the arch. My plan is to cover the base with a stone veneer hopefully I can do that and accent the arch with the stones.
          Thickstrings, I'm sure the weather will interfere with my building plans. My main passion is designing and building furniture. If I can not work outside on my oven I will spend the time in my shop until the weather gets agreeable. I always have more than one project going. Your right I haven't seen many Ozarkers on the forum. I am located just outside of Springfield, MO.

Comment

Bob, from the looks of your progress, you just might be done by winter.....been through Springfield about a million times on my way, or back north...nice country up there....plenty of natural resources for wooden furniture, and scraps for the oven...I've made a few guitars, and a few rifle stocks. I'd liked to try my hand at furniture. I admire this guys work...... Kerry Vesper Sculpture & Design Studio
            " Life is art, live a masterpiece"

Comment

I'm trying to get caught up on posting photos of my progress. Here are a few more pics. I liked the idea of using cement board under the hearth slab, I read that on somebody's thread. I think it is a little less messing around than trying to fit a plywood sheet inside the base to be removed at a later date. I made my slab 1/2" thicker to account for the 1/2" cement board. I did use some shoring under the cement board just to be sure. I don't know if I needed it or not, but it was just a few 2x4 pieces. The weather has been perfect here for working outside so my wife and I have been making good progress.

Comment

Thickstrings,
                That guy does some interesting studio work. Here is my last project in the style of Greene and Greene. Not one of my original designs a take off from a photo I found online.

Comment

Bob,

Nice start. Just a tip, run a strip of blue tape or duct tape between the floor and your first course. This will keep mortar from dropping down the gap and minimize potential cracking from mortar that fills up your expansion gap.
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

UtahBeehiver,
                    Thank you for the reminder. I read somewhere on the forum that someone used strips of cardboard to fill the space. That seemed like a good idea as they could just be left in place, and will burn up at some point. That's what I did, I had plenty of cardboard from the insulation board shipping box. I need to lay some of it on the hearth floor too. So far I haven't had any issues with spilled mortar, but as my bricks get more vertical I'm expecting to make more of a mess.

I should be giving credit to the people who posted the ideas that I am using, but I have done so much reading on this forum that I can't remember who posted what.

Comment

Excellent weather for working outside this past weekend. Highs in the mid 70s and I'm in the shade to boot. We made the best of the good weather and got several courses of bricks up. I'm still a little confused about the dome arch intersection, but it is working out I guess I don't have to understand it, just do it.

Comment

I had to post a photo of my number one brick cutter at the brick saw. She has cut at least 90% of the bricks so far. It's great to have help with a project this big. The harbor freight brick saw is working out great. I'm still using the first blade. I purchased the blade from Lowe's. The diamond edge is getting smaller and smaller, I suspect that I will need to get another one soon.
                        Gravity is no longer my friend with this project. Time to go to the wood shop and make some adjustable braces to hold the bricks for a few moments while the mortar sets up.

Comment

Here's a tip I learned from Tu, the last thing you do is set a brick on the next course, back center and let it sit overnight, then you have something to set the next course against the next day.
                          Russell
                          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Russell, Thank you for that tip. The simplest ideas are usually the best. I'll definitely try that on my next course.

Comment

I made a couple of adjustable sticks to hold the bricks for a few minutes until the mortar grabs tight. Not a perfect solution, but they are working. I offset the ends to avoid conflict where they cross in the center of the oven.

Comment

Working...
                              X