Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks

I'm so glad to be finished covering and uncovering with tarps. I still have a long way to go, but this is a milestone for me.

Comment

Bob....lookin' good!! Love your chimney cap.
      My Build:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

The weather man threatened rain, and I was pooped out. So I went to the garage and grabbed the first thing that looked big enough. It wasn't big enough, but like I said I was pooped out, and a beer was calling my name, I think it was a chorus of beers actually.
        I'll call it a prototype, might need a little redesign work on that one.

Comment

How can it be that all of those beers from all over the world can know the name of the owner of the fridge.

Amazing but we just have to accept some things that we can not fathom.
          Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

I am not sure how the beers know my name. I'm just happy that they do.

I managed to cobble together a chimney cap after work today. It looks better than the blue tub held on with straps.

Comment

Bob great looking build. What were the dimensions of your hearth slab?

Comment

Big T
                Thank you for the compliment.
                I followed the plans for the 36" Pompeii for the base and hearth slab. If I were to do it over I would go a few inches bigger. In the beginning I planned on using the amount of insulation in the plan, but ended up using more insulation. I will measure the slab tonight and post that for you.

Comment

bigt, I just measured my hearth slab. It is 70"x58". Like I said if I had a better idea of the amount of insulation I was going to use I would have gone probably 4" wider and 2" deeper. But, it really wouldn't have mattered.

Comment

Awesome thanks... I was doing a different plan based on a foam form and now I am planning a 36" build and have been thinking of doing a 60(w)x70(d) but given your advice I may go to 72" and leave the width as I plan on or 3" of insulation

Comment

Originally posted by thebigt View Post
                      Awesome thanks... I was doing a different plan based on a foam form and now I am planning a 36" build and have been thinking of doing a 60(w)x70(d) but given your advice I may go to 72" and leave the width as I plan on or 3" of insulation
                      Bob is right, Bigger is better. Seems to be the norm, to wish one had more room for insulation. I did 64"(w) on my 40" oven, ended up with a 39" to gain as much as I could. I also only ended up 3" inches of insulation and a little vermiculite on the lower part of my dome. Wish I had more. I get some temperature rise in that area on my stucco where the radius of the oven meet my enclosure wall.......... Look forward to following your progress.
                      Last edited by kbartman; 04-30-2014, 03:22 AM.
                      Respectfully,

KB

My build
                      Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

As a result of wanting a little more insulation than my initial plan I ended up having to use non-standard spacing on my studs for the enclosure. I needed to not have a stud where the radius met the wall. As a result of this I could not make the most efficient use of the 4x8 sheet stock for the enclosure. I made more cuts than I would have, and had more scrap. A minor thing I guess, but it's nice when the studs are where they are suppose to be.

Comment

Originally posted by bobmurphy View Post
                          A minor thing I guess, but it's nice when the studs are where they are suppose to be.
                          Having done more than my fair share of sheetrock work, believe me, I know the feeling. Nice progress, by the way.
                          My Build:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

I needed to not have a stud where the radius met the wall. As a result of this I could not make the most efficient use of the 4x8 sheet stock for the enclosure.
                            Running a header between the studs on either side of that point, just a few inches above the hearth level, would have solved the stud placement problem . But, why sheet rock . Even mold and mildew resistant for the enclosure?. Wait, I just looked back at your build, It looks like you used plywood. Did you use sheet rock underneath the plywood far a fire retardant layer?
                            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gulf,
                              I have the same issue, I tend to see what I think should be there. I wrote sheet stock, not rock. No sheet rock anywhere. I did not feel I needed a fire barrier.

Still making some progress. We put on the shingles, and chimney flashing. I have a temp cover over the chimney the finish on the chimney will come when the stone work gets that far up.

Comment

Gulf,
                                I have the same issue, I tend to see what I think should be there. I wrote sheet stock, not rock. No sheet rock anywhere. I did not feel I needed a fire barrier.

Still making some progress. We put on the shingles, and chimney flashing. I have a temp cover over the chimney the finish on the chimney will come when the stone work gets that far up.
                                Sorry! that I misread but, (if, I understood your stud placement delemma correctly) the "header" solution would have worked to get the extra insulation and also allowed you to get the "most efficient use of the 4X8 sheet stock" .
                                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Working...
                                X