Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks

Yes, you are definitely right, a low header would have taken care of the issue nicely. I knew when i was doing it that it was wrong, but has been too many decades since i did much framing, and that didn't occur to me.
    Thebigt, Gulfs idea for a low header might help you with your hearth slab decision.

Comment

I am starting the stone work that I hope will cover the entire outside of my oven. For the most part my lack of skill with this project has been covered up by the next phase of the project. Now for the part that shows.

Comment

Making a little more progress on the exterior finish of my oven. This part is going very slow. I am not a stone mason, or any other kind of mason really. I spend more time trying to find the stone to fit a spot than actually mortaring any in place.

Comment

It looks good, but I am curious how you are attaching the stonework to the structure. Do you have any metal lath on the building, or are you mortaring right to the Tyvek?
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

No, nothing would stick to the tyvek. I thought about using some woven wire or something like that, but I'm using brick ties. I can place them so they stick out into the mortar between the stones. I"m just screwing them in where ever I feel that I need them at least one for every stone, more on the big ones. On the stand portion I just mortared right to the cement blocks. The type N mortar is very sticky.

Comment

Originally posted by bobmurphy View Post
              No, nothing would stick to the tyvek.
              That was my concern! I can't really see the brick ties in the pics
              My build progress
              My WFO Journal on Facebook
              My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Bob.....you're doing a fine job. Looks great. You've made alot of progress.
                My Build:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

MCMan, Thank you for the kind words. I thought I would be finished by now, but the harsh winter put a hurt on the schedule. I am still hoping start to finish one year. I started in August of last year so I still think that is possible.

Comment

Did you do two layers of tyvek? Because if your backfill is contacting it, water will wick through it.
                    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                    John Ruskin

Comment

No back fill for me. The finish grade will be at the top of my foundation slab. The use of tyvek may have been a little overkill for me, but I wanted something between the exterior stone work and plywood to slow moisture transfer, but I did not want a vapor barrier.

Comment

Still working on covering my oven with stones. This has been the slowest part of the build for us. It's like a giant jigsaw puzzle with 40 pound pieces. Actually a few of the stones are smaller than 40#, but some are bigger.

Comment

Bob......very nice progress. Love the look it is taking on. I am anxious to see the finished product. Probably not as much as you are though, I reckon.
                          My Build:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

NCMan, I'm happy with the look. I wanted to use local stone for the finish, and I'm glad I did. I'm hoping that it will end up looking like it has been here a long time, not like a new oven.
                            Yes I am really looking forward to no longer working on this project. I love cooking with it. Tired of working on it. : - )

Comment

Originally posted by bobmurphy View Post
                              Yes I am really looking forward to no longer working on this project. I love cooking with it. Tired of working on it. : - )
                              Bob,
                              Oven looks great. I cant agree with you more on your quote! We are both at the same point in our projects and I feel the same way.
                              Chris

Link to my photo album:
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/hodgey...7646087819291/

Link to my build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...nia-19366.html

Comment

Hodgey, It's a long haul, we knew it would be. I am still thinking that I can get this finished before the one year mark. I started in august last year so time is running short.

I really like the slate roof. It looks great. I checked into real slate and the different manufactured products that look like slate. In the end the I couldn't justify the cost of either of those products. It would have added $750 to $1,000 to the build. With the low slope roof and the fact that the oven is slightly up hill from the house we don't see the roof at all. All that being said I still think that slate roof is great.
                                Last edited by bobmurphy; 06-27-2014, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X