Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 36+ Pompeii in St. Louis

Merk,
    Your work looks great! But, I have to add one word of caution on the entry. I really like seeing the entry completed (front and back). I know that many don't. But, I was taught to test every thing using sort of a dry stack test. By that, I mean, if the mortar failed, the brick cracked, etc............would it still stay in place?

just sayin' .
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
      Merk,
      Your work looks great! But, I have to add one word of caution on the entry. I really like seeing the entry completed (front and back). I know that many don't. But, I was taught to test every thing using sort of a dry stack test. By that, I mean, if the mortar failed, the brick cracked, etc............would it still stay in place?

just sayin' .
      Hey Gulf... I'm not sure I follow. How would I finish the back? Are you saying there is more work I could add to strengthen it? Or too late and roll the dice?

Comment

Originally posted by merk View Post
        Hey Gulf... I'm not sure I follow. How would I finish the back? Are you saying there is more work I could add to strengthen it? Or too late and roll the dice?

The ancients designed arches to fall in on them selves to make a perfect support system. With mortar, or no mortar, they should support theirs, and any weight that is placed from above.

That is why "dry stacking" is important to test this before it is set permanently.

The back of your arch, that which, is against the oven entry arch, is not complete. They will not 'fall in on themselves" to correct for mortar and brick failures. The bricks in the back of the arch will fail "someday". Maybe not in your lifetime, but someday.

To keep the flu exit the same, you can take a little, out of the outer arch and add the same to that next to you oven entry arch.

You can also, do the same, by using the space above your oven entry arch to support the back of your entry. That would mean rebuilding and raising up your entry . A lot of work to redo, I know. But, you could also include a heat break at the same time .
        Last edited by Gulf; 07-01-2014, 06:32 PM.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gulf,

Thanks. I understand. As far as moving the vent opening forward and completing the back arch... i don't have a lot of room to work with. I could complete the back with 2" deep bricks and widen the vent opening.

I was planning to help lock in the back of the arch with the flue base. Planning to recess them a bit so that they sit down within the existing opening that you see now, helping to lock the center/sides of the vent. I'll make sure it has the same area as the flue pipe.

Let me know what you think.

Comment

Originally posted by merk View Post
            Gulf,

Thanks. I understand. As far as moving the vent opening forward and completing the back arch... i don't have a lot of room to work with. I could complete the back with 2" deep bricks and widen the vent opening.

I was planning to help lock in the back of the arch with the flue base. Planning to recess them a bit so that they sit down within the existing opening that you see now, helping to lock the center/sides of the vent. I'll make sure it has the same area as the flue pipe.

Let me know what you think.
            Most, don't allow enough room to close the back of the entry arch. It is the norm to make them as shallow as possible. I'm sure it does help make working the oven easier. Mine is very much deeper than most that you will see on this site. Though, it is even deeper than needed to accomplish that, I don't have a problem working my oven.

I'm not sure how you will "lock it in with the flu base", but many on this site have done similar vents. Theirs are working fine, have, and will probably do so for many years.

But, years to a young person seems like a very long time. For an old person, it is like the blink of an eye.

just sayin'
            Joe

Comment

G'day Gulf
              I agree! make them deep ....... But make the entrance wide and tall so you operate the oven with ease. Mine comes in handy I can draw the coals forward throw on a log and use it as fireplace
              Regards dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once
              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
              My Door
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Forgive me for the large gap in posts. I've been busy!

Today is day 4 of curing fires.

Comment

Working...
                X