My UK build is out of the ground!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My UK build is out of the ground!

Yeah true, that's an option. I think 2/3's height up the arch is the rule o thumb if I remember correctly!

Thanks for the Info!

Allan

Comment

Or, build a pointed ( gothic) arch, it wouldn't require buttressing at all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pointed vault.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	302304
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by vincentvega_uk View Post
        Yeah true, that's an option. I think 2/3's height up the arch is the rule o thumb if I remember correctly!

Thanks for the Info!

Allan
        Most welcome...

Kinda sorta...the span between the buttresses is more important. But for WFO surrounds, you can get away with waaaaaay more than you can with large masonry buildings and walls.
        Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

I really doubt that you really need to buttress your arch Allan, unless your going to build a full brick chimney.

Comment

You can render directly over the wired blanket, but i may be slightly harder and require an extra layer first, as its not as stable a background as Vermicrete.

Comment

Cheers Bookemdanno,

Don't mind doing an extra coat, just could do without buying another 4 bags of vermiculite if its not needed.

Yeah, im beginning to rethink the buttressing. I think I will just create a platform for a chimney anchor plate directly on the arch.
              I am going to have a section of twin wall flue, so no great weight as you say.

Didn't you do a k-rend finish? how did you find the application? never tried it myself?

Cheers

Allan

Comment

Yeah, im beginning to rethink the buttressing. I think I will just create a platform for a chimney anchor plate directly on the arch.
                I am going to have a section of twin wall flue, so no great weight as you say.
                I want to clarify my earlier posts about buttressing. My posts were directed towards you stating that you were building a vault in post #24 and then vault arch in post #43....I misunderstood what you were doing, and thought you were building a vault surround over your dome......my bad. Correct, you do not need to buttress a semi arch that is only carrying a couple flues.

As a point of reference, a vault is longer than it's diameter... so what you are doing over the vent is technically not a vault. If it is, you will have a long reach into the oven!
                Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Probably my awful terminology Stonecutter.

Anyway, its a lot clearer now, no matter what its called!

Cheers

Allan

Comment

Brilliant, thanks. Will save me a few ???!

Also what kind of depth coverage with my ceramic fibre blanket do people think I need to do without the vermiculite concrete?
                    If I have enough fire blanket I intend to chicken wire it then put a base coat of render on before my finished coat.

Cheers

Allan
                    Gudday Allan
                    V-Crete V ceramic. Ceramic is roughly twice as efficient as V Crete ie 1 in of ceramic equals the same as 2 in of V-Crete. So if go 3 ins of ceramic you have roughly the insulation value of 6 ins of V-Crete. And no water to dry out!
                    I used dry insulation and rendered over the top of a chick wire layer. I have used Pearl-Crete before and its a real pain to put on,much harder the rendering away a few lumps and bumps. And you don't have get ride of a huge amount of water furtherest from the heat.
                    If money was tight and I had the time, and patience V-Crete is the obvious choice.
                    If I had 3 ins of ceramic I would not waste any time or effort into V-Crete
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once
                    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                    My Door
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

K-rend...

I actually liked it, as it was a similar finish to my original Lime render. Its very granular and coarse, but following the mixing instructions and going for a two stage mix made a very workable mix. I didn't go for the usual scarified finish, as i used my curved trowel and the wooden float still gave an open texture. Using a gauging trowel to apply the render first. It goes off pretty quickly so i'd advocate mixing up at a half bag a time. It comes in many colours, and is a reasonable price. The silicone within the render makes any rainfall just bead up and roll off with very little sight of soaking in.
                      I have to admit that i haven't fired my oven since rendering it, and with winter now closing its grip, i expect i'll leave it until spring rather than risk cracks, no time to fix and another winters rainfall, snow, etc soaking into my lovely dry dome. For safety, i'd always say to set in a heat break between any render and chimneys, etc. There are plenty of heat proof mastics to fill in the heat breaks to weatherproof everything up again.

Comment

Thanks Cobblerdave, hopefully I will have enough cover of ceramic blanket,( I already have it), I think I will.
                        Then I can just do a course base coat of render before I apply my final base coat and top coat.

Cheers

Comment

Cheers Bookemdanno,

So with the two coat, is that using the k rend base coat they make before the final k rend finish?
                          With the silicone in the k rend, I take it you don't add an integral waterproofer?
                          Also what scratch coat mix did you use? 4:1 plastering sand-cement?
                          I intend on the scarified finish myself.
                          I also take your advice on the heartbreaks. Would that also be needed in my 'vault' area between the brickwork and render? Bearing in mind I have built a heartbreak out of insulation brick in the hearth between the oven and vault, and also between the oven arch and the vault arch.
                          It would be interesting to know how hot the vault area and chimney gets with the get breaks installed.

Many thanks

Allan

Comment

Any advice on flue length and diameter for a 40 inch oven anyone?

Thanks again

Allan

Comment

8 inch diameter, at least 3 feet tall.
                              My build progress
                              My WFO Journal on Facebook
                              My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                                8 inch diameter, at least 3 feet tall.