web analytics
42" Pompeii in Paso Robles Ca. - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

42" Pompeii in Paso Robles Ca.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Yes to cool to under 100 degrees it will take me 10 days or more. But I make pizza and the next day I will be at 700F if I don't do bread and scrub a bunch of heat out first then day 3 is still 600F plus. I have not done any cooking past this point. But with temps below 0 I am still at 200 degrees now on my 8th day.

    Randy

    Comment


    • Very well done!
      My build documentary page:
      https://picasaweb.google.com/1011587...iredOvenBuild#


      Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

      Comment


      • Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
        Yes to cool to under 100 degrees it will take me 10 days or more. But I make pizza and the next day I will be at 700F if I don't do bread and scrub a bunch of heat out first then day 3 is still 600F plus. I have not done any cooking past this point. But with temps below 0 I am still at 200 degrees now on my 8th day.

        Randy
        Ok well Randy, you are the first guy that I have read about that get's more than 5 days of heat. So now I am on a mission. The one thing I don't have is vermiculite in the enclosure. that could really help it is clear.
        For now I just have the dome inside an empty cavity simply because I thought 5 days was about as good as it got. So here is what I have.
        3 inches Ceramic Blanket
        2 inches Forno Fiber Board
        1 inch stucco or as thin as .5 in - this is covering the blanket.
        4 inch Forno Fiber Board - Sheet metal door.

        The door really changed the game for me. So now I guess I will fill the cavity with perlite etc.
        Do you have any other insulation items to mention? I would love for day two and 3 to be hotter than I am getting.

        Thanks
        Darin
        Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

        Comment


        • Well there are a few things I did slightly different than you.

          1. I did 4"of ceramic board under the oven.

          2. I wanted to be a little higher so I put patio stones under the insulation to raise it a little. I think this might also act as a little heat break.

          I also have 3" of blankets.

          3. I put 36 cf of vermiculite over the top of the insulation. So it is between 6" and 18" thick depending on where you look.

          I also did all the heat breaks. Dome and floor

          Randy

          Comment


          • Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
            Well there are a few things I did slightly different than you.

            1. I did 4"of ceramic board under the oven.

            2. I wanted to be a little higher so I put patio stones under the insulation to raise it a little. I think this might also act as a little heat break.

            I also have 3" of blankets.

            3. I put 36 cf of vermiculite over the top of the insulation. So it is between 6" and 18" thick depending on where you look.

            I also did all the heat breaks. Dome and floor

            Randy
            What did you do for your door?
            Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

            Comment


            • Opps sorry about that. The door is 4" thick filled with ceramic board. 22 gage for the inside and sides, and 16 gage for the outside. I also put a ceramic rope around the edge as a gasket. I painted it with a high temp stove paint. It seamed to be holding up well so far.

              Randy

              Comment


              • Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
                Opps sorry about that. The door is 4" thick filled with ceramic board. 22 gage for the inside and sides, and 16 gage for the outside. I also put a ceramic rope around the edge as a gasket. I painted it with a high temp stove paint. It seamed to be holding up well so far.

                Randy
                Ok so that is the same as mine.
                So the only thing that I cannot do is add 2 inches of insulation to my floor. but If I get a couple more days, that will be a complete success.
                I really want 3 days of solid heat. Sounds like the perlite in the cavity might get me close.

                Thanks
                Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

                Comment


                • If you can try to block off the corners. I did not do that, but bet I could have saved a few bags if I did. It is suprising how much of it it takes to fill the void in the enclosure. Good luck I hope that helps with your heat retention.

                  Randy

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
                    If you can try to block off the corners. I did not do that, but bet I could have saved a few bags if I did. It is suprising how much of it it takes to fill the void in the enclosure. Good luck I hope that helps with your heat retention.

                    Randy
                    Seems like it would be easy to use some styrofoam or cheaper insultation to fill the voids a bit.
                    Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

                    Comment


                    • Yeah something like that. I was going to use cement board to block the corners, but got in a hurry and forgot all about it.

                      Randy

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
                        Opps sorry about that. The door is 4" thick filled with ceramic board. 22 gage for the inside and sides, and 16 gage for the outside. I also put a ceramic rope around the edge as a gasket. I painted it with a high temp stove paint. It seamed to be holding up well so far.

                        Randy
                        Randy how did you hold the rope to the door? And what type of rope? Where did you get it?

                        Comment


                        • I got the ceramic rope from menards in the wood stove area. It was a door seal replacement kit and came with the glue. I think it was about 8$. The paint I used also came from there rated for 1200F and seams to be holding up nicely so far.

                          Randy

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X