X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 38" build in Slovenia

Originally posted by gorazdr View Post
    I cut those arch bricks.
    Keys? Do you mean black bars on top? They are brick markings.

Gorazd
    In your second picture, a couple voussoirs appear to be notched, looking at them from the top. I was wondering if you keyed them together. That is called a joggle, in the case of your arch, it would be called a secret joggle...because it would not be visible once your dome is complete.

Edit: for anyone interested, a joggle is added to provide lateral strength to an arch.
    Last edited by stonecutter; 05-24-2014, 05:46 PM.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Re: My DIY brick cutter

That is really thinking outside the box on making your own wet saw. Your build is very interesting to watch. A small rubber mallet helps you with setting the bricks, looks good from what I can see.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

That home made brick cutter is seriously impressive. And so is the 3inches of AAC and 5 inches of vermicrete. Safe to say there will be no heat loss through your floor.

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
          In your second picture, a couple voussoirs appear to be notched, looking at them from the top. I was wondering if you keyed them together. That is called a joggle, in the case of your arch, it would be called a secret joggle...because it would not be visible once your dome is complete.
          I never thought of that but I think that would be a bit of overkill.

Comment

I am glad you all like my brick cutter. I did it because I am trying to keep costs down. It really works better than expected but a word of caution: don't buy cheap diamond blades!!!! I have a professional grade diamond blade for about 8 years and it cuts those bricks like cheese. I saw cheap 15? diamond blade that looked exactly the same so I thought I would give it a try. After 15 cut bricks the diameter of the blade was smaller by 2 mm.

Comment

I never thought of that but I think that would be a bit of overkill.
              It would be, but that's what it looked like.
              Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
              John Ruskin

Comment

I am glad you all like my brick cutter. I did it because I am trying to keep costs down. It really works better than expected but a word of caution: don't buy cheap diamond blades!!!! I have a professional grade diamond blade for about 8 years and it cuts those bricks like cheese. I saw cheap 15? diamond blade that looked exactly the same so I thought I would give it a try. After 15 cut bricks the diameter of the blade was smaller by 2 mm.
                My 2 cents: I bought the cheapest blade there was on ebay and made at least 200 cuts with it and there is no visible wear, I've seen sparks come of it when I didn't sprinkle water while cutting so of course there has been some wear.
                Let's keep it metric

Comment

Hi,

nice progress,

what mortar do you use?

by

Comment

Hi artman, I used the same mortar you used (961).

Comment

Hi guys I need your advice.

I am starting row 6 and and I need best way to support freshly laid bricks. Today I mortared single brick of row 6 to help me stabilizing new bricks but I will need to skip after 5 or so bricks to avoid joints lining up.

Single brick stays put but gets dislodged when I press new brick against it.

Gorazdr

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post

Edit: for anyone interested, a joggle is added to provide lateral strength to an arch.
                        Cool! Thanks for the info!
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                        [/CENTER]

Comment

Hi guys I need your advice.

I am starting row 6 and and I need best way to support freshly laid bricks. Today I mortared single brick of row 6 to help me stabilizing new bricks but I will need to skip after 5 or so bricks to avoid joints lining up.

Single brick stays put but gets dislodged when I press new brick against it.

Gorazdr

There's a cool DIY tool that a lot of the guys use. I'll see if I can find the link to the thread.

EDIT: Found it!

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...heme-2985.html
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

Archena thanks for you link. I am already using IT tool and I have no problems while brick is supported by IT, problems start when I move IT to lay next brick.

Comment

Ah, gotcha.

[/CENTER]

Comment

Archena thanks for you link. I am already using IT tool and I have no problems while brick is supported by IT, problems start when I move IT to lay next brick.
                                G'day
                                Set the IT up with a slim shim of wood at the brick end. When you have the brick in position remove the shim and you should find the IT should be able to clear the brick and not knock it out of position
                                Regards dave
                                Measure twice
                                Cut once
                                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                                My Door
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Working...
                                X