half brick igloo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: half brick igloo

Hi gulf sorry I'm no good at putting links out it's just brick face dome I like of the oven. Yes this does help 7 years of reading about these ovens and I've never come across this but it makes great sense think I need to do even more research what did you cap it off with
    link to my effort http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/7...art-20707.html

"95% reading this forum 5% building"

Comment

Originally posted by leetheldc View Post
      Hi gulf sorry I'm no good at putting links out it's just brick face dome I like of the oven. Yes this does help 7 years of reading about these ovens and I've never come across this but it makes great sense think I need to do even more research what did you cap it off with
      No problem Leetheldc,

I actually have two vent caps. They are industrial type breathers for crank cases and hydraulic reservors.. Mine were made by Donaldson.

The pic in Donalson's link shows the various sizes. Then first one I installed was one of the larger ones in the pic. It think that it was a little bit of an overkill. I used it when I was drying out my oven in the first few fires after the vcrete and stucco layers were applied. I don't think that it was really necesasry. But, after I was sure that my oven was dry, I switched to the smallest one that is pictured as standing up in their link by bushining down from a 1" to a 3/8ths inch.

You can see it in my pic below. It ain't nearly as noticeable. The pic below shows it on my oven. I still plan to add a little touch to it which will make it look like a decoration, rather that a functional piece .

Click image for larger version

Name:	drawer 007.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	562.3 KB
ID:	304376
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

gulf thats a lovely looking dome you built there very tidy brickwork. i reasearched the donaldson and found a supplier in england he was just worried on the air presure he qoted me ?45 for a poxy coted steel 3 and a quarter inch with an airflow of 25cfm part no. p566037 do you think this would be suffice or should the air flow be larger the next size up is 45cfm hope this link works Zeus HydraTech Ltd - Donaldson Hydraulic T.R.A.P. Breathers

Comment

Get the smallest one that you can get from them. The one that is on my "dry oven" now has only a 1 and 1/2" cowling size. The connection is 3/8ths of an inch. The larger one, that I used to begin with, had a cowling size of 4" and a connection size of 1".

A large opening is great when drying a new oven. But, you don't need the large breather. You can install a 3/4" to 1" PVC hex type fitting flush with the outside of your finish. Buy a cheap plug to fit that size opening. For an uncovered Igloo style oven, you should be doing your curing (dying) fires on "pretty days" when there is no rain. Just unplug the opening and "fire away". You can place a clear plastic sheet over the opening. When you have "cured"/"dried" your oven, no water condensation will appear under the plastic. Then you can bushing down to fit the smaller (less conspicuous) looking breather .

Note: If you don't design your oven's weather/storm door, shell, and chimney cap to repell water, you will repeat this process every season .
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

thanks for this info gulf it is now stored in my locker for when i reach that point ive had time to look at your build pure art i must say as many must have said its fantastic i will defenetly be using your thread for insperastion throught my build i have now started a thread on my progress under the name 7 years in the waiting i get to start my 42" pompeii i would love your feedback and to tell me where im going wrong thanks again gulf lee

Comment

Thank's for the complments Lee,
              I am looking forward to following your build. I love following them all. I can't build another one right now, so I have to "get my kicks" by proxy .

Joe

Comment

haha good one, well if had the money i would pay for you and your family to come here to england for a wfo building holiday for you looking at them photos of yours then you could build another!!! im a great cook so you would get well fed! im terrible for wanting everything perfect i could do with borrowing you for a month or so ha! suppose il just keep on picking your brains on here. i thought it was all easy untill i dug deep and found the ikes of thermal break chiney insulation and what strenghth matarial to pace it on the list goes on which make all the better challenge

Comment

Working...
                X