outdoor kitchen and oven base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: outdoor kitchen and oven base

Quick question...if a lot of water somehow gets under your granite vent landing, where is is draining too? You have weeps in the brick?
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by Campmaki View Post
      Ok so now I get your thought. Would you use the ceramic insulation as a thermal break just behind the riser? You mentioned in an earlier post about capping this off with some homebrew or was it something else? The reason as you know, with the water drainage slots is to get it out along with the pitched pan. Something totally solid will make it for water to drain. The drawback is a subsurface that has voids. With that in mind, a dropped log or tool could cause damage to the granite. The slots would need to be narrow. Thinking of maybe cotton rope wicks but these have been proven to be not effective over time. Maybe they could be installed longer and your mix put in place. Then pull them out after everything is hard. I believe we have a plan, thanks S.C.
      Ok. Thermal break goes between the oven hearth and the vent landing. I used ceramic rope to fill the break, then made a slurry of Portland/acryl 60 as a rigidizer, so no fiber contaminates the cooking surfaces.

You work in commercial masonry right? Grab a scrap of drainage mat or mortar net before put down your setting bed. Then you have a drainage plane and a fully bedded granite landing when your done.

Here's a crappy sketch of what I was talking about with the riser......
      Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	305099
      Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Great-looking kitchen and oven, Wayne. You're gonna love cooking in it!

Comment

John thanks for the compliments. I am sure my wife and I will have a great time feeding everyone!!!!! Stonecutter, there are weeps in the brick allowing tne water to pass all the way to the bottom of the precast base panels. Nice sketch, just one thing, the granite slab will be flush all the way out to to the outside edge. In other words all on the same plane from oven entrance to outside edge that hangs over front of brick by 1". So I would not need the 2 3/4 ".Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
            Great-looking kitchen and oven, Wayne. You're gonna love cooking in it!
            John, just wondering why I do not see you posting much, hope all is well.Wayne

Comment

John thanks for the compliments. I am sure my wife and I will have a great time feeding everyone!!!!! Stonecutter, there are weeps in the brick allowing tne water to pass all the way to the bottom of the precast base panels. Nice sketch, just one thing, the granite slab will be flush all the way out to to the outside edge. In other words all on the same plane from oven entrance to outside edge that hangs over front of brick by 1". So I would not need the 2 3/4 ".Wayne
              Ahhh...ok. I should have asked if you were going to do that instead of launching into all that. So what are you doing under the vent landing...brick channels?
              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Stonecutter, that was my thought, would you do it different with the brick channels? Thinking I need a sub base that will not suck up moisture and provide support for the granite. Plus have water raceways to drain.

Comment

Stonecutter, that was my thought, would you do it different with the brick channels? Thinking I need a sub base that will not suck up moisture and provide support for the granite. Plus have water raceways to drain.
                  I don't think I would do the brick channels, mainly because outside of a torrential driving rain falling directly into the vent for hours, I don't see a lot of water getting under the granite. Especially so if your joints are tight and full. With a solid stone for your floor, there is minimal chances for penetration, not like a brick vent landing with many joints..

It's a preference thing for me...to set stone into the solid setting bed. Besides, if your vent landing is a one piece stone ...( I'm assuming ) ....you (should) put a slight fall on it to encourage any driving rain to run away from the oven hearth.

All that said, if you want brick channels I don't see any big issues, as long as water drains freely. Sound like you have that covered.
                  Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Stonecutter, either way will work. Just have to decide which way to go. All said and done two or more heads are better than one, the beauty of this web site. To make things the best they possibly can be. Wayne

Comment

Hey Wayne -

Thanks for the concern. Have been ridiculously busy moving both kids back home from college for the summer, getting my daughter ready to move to Australia, and a steady string of swim meets to attend and announce at. And oh, did I mention I picked up a truckload of wood off Craigslist? After an hour of splitting, my elbow developed a sharp pain and I am unable to pick up even a cast iron pot without wincing. What a wimp I am!

Comment

John, good to hear everything is fine. You must be pretty proud of your children.Again thanks for the nice compliments, I had a good mentor, yourself. Learned a lot from the posts and pictures of your build. Wayne

Comment

Made some more progress this past weekend. Friday afternoon built the outside arch for the brick and cut the brick to used in the arch. Saturday I laid up the arch and courses that run into it.Got crazy and pulled the template at the end of the day, pointed up the joints adjacent to where the template was. Sunday ran the brick up on the other 3 sides to the same height The height I am at now is where the cap of the oven roof will be. Might be some changes to my original thoughts of a flat granite slab over the top. The rest of the build will be masonry chimney with a clay flue liner. Did some buttressing only because the masonry chimney will bear on some of the vent arch. Had bad feelings the previous week about getting the oven too hot last weekend. I was afraid I could have done some damage. So actually the first thing I did was crawl inside the soot covered igloo and looked. Everything looked really good , no cracks, so I lit the bad boy up once again. It holds heat like it should and burns every last bit of wood that is put into it. Made me smile that all was ok, even though I was just a little black from soot. Wayne

Comment

Beautiful work, Wayne. Great addition to the campsite, for sure. Enjoy!!
                            My Build:
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Nice tidy brick work..well done!
                              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Can not wait till Thursday afternoon. Going up to the camper, planning on washing down what I have built thus far. No fires this weekend as I can not chance a crack in the exterior brick arch. Just excited to see what it looks like cleaned up. And maybe that is all I will do this weekend as I have worked every single day I have been there. Time for a break and time to celebrate my wives completion of chemotherapy for cancer. This has been a good way to keep my mind occupied. Thanks to the people who gave me advice and input on my build, much appreciated. Wayne

Comment

Working...
                                X