• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteelandStone
    replied
    Re: Just North of Nashville 42" Build

Originally posted by rand18m View Post
    Thanks for your help, my dome will be not quite 1" high so I'm not too concerned with extra height, looking through the forum here I've found many questions about a slightly higher dome and I haven't seen anyone that has claimed it made much difference in performance of the oven, if that's not the case or it would create a problem it's an easy fix. Simply shim the angle using different thickness, probably would only be a few but overall slightly higher likely not a problem. If that's not correct someone please let me know.
    I the big scheme of things I don't know how much of a difference it makes, probably not much. Only the pizza can answer that.

Leave a comment:

• rand18m
    replied

Thanks for your help, my dome will be not quite 1" high so I'm not too concerned with extra height, looking through the forum here I've found many questions about a slightly higher dome and I haven't seen anyone that has claimed it made much difference in performance of the oven, if that's not the case or it would create a problem it's an easy fix. Simply shim the angle using different thickness, probably would only be a few but overall slightly higher likely not a problem. If that's not correct someone please let me know.

Leave a comment:

• SteelandStone
    replied

I cannot take credit for this and I could not find the thread I got it from on here but it is the style I used and it worked great. I know someone on here knows you originally posted this.

The only thing I did not use is the clamp feature, I found I did not need it.

Leave a comment:

• SteelandStone
    replied

[ATTACH]44938[/ATTACH]

Let's see if this works!

Here is the tool without the angle iron attached. I will weld the socket and angle together but for those without a welder epoxy would work fine, something like JB weld would do the trick.

I'll post this soon in a new thread for this build when I get fully started. Right now trying to find materials, not having much luck with calsil board. If anyone knows where you can buy calsil board in the Dallas Fort Worth area please let me know.
    Well so much for a lunch, figures just when you think you will have an easy day everything decides to break and of course needs to be fixed right now.

Back to the matter at hand;
    That is an interesting IT design, the are a few things to keep in mind, seeing it is set up as a fixed length IT 38-3/8" horizontally it is not what it will be when you start going up at an arch toward the apex of your dome. When your IT is completely vertical it will be taller because of the OSB, socket and Swivel. The height added will be what ever the distance is from your floor to the point of pivot Which will result in a dome that is not a true Hemisphere. This is the reason most go with an adjustable IT, this way as you go up you can turn in the IT to get as close to a perfect hemisphere as possible. Mine is 42" and I ended up at approx. 21-1/8" tall inside. Here is a pic of the IT I used; very similar to many others only real difference was how I attached it to the floor.

As for the arch bricks, the size of them will depend on where your arch supports are in relationship to your dome (IE further forward or backward) I placed mine so when the dome came around I would still have about an 1-1/2" sticking out so I could notch the inner vent arch bricks and have a space for the heat break. (Pics Attached)

Hope this helps

Leave a comment:

• SteelandStone
    replied

Thanks so much for the reply, I think I will cut them 5.5 leaving me an inch at the bottom, and I can see how cutting the angle in the arch joints would make it much easier than the complicated cuts trying to tie in the chains to the arch. Do you recall off hand how long your middle or longest pieces were in the arch? As in the keystone piece? Don't go to any trouble, just curious, I'll be able to figure it out when I lay them out and mark with IT.

I'll have to post some pics of my IT, my oven will be 38-3/8" as dictated by the IT. I made it with a 3/8 drive 18" extension and a 3/8 drive swivel. I will attach a socket to my angle iron piece and I set an 11/16" socket into the wood for the bearing, fits the swivel perfectly. Just bought some cheap sockets from Harbor Freight, and the extension and swivel I can always use. Actually only sacrifice the one cheap socket, and I can make other tools to fit the end using sockets as the attachment to the extension. If I can figure out how to post a pic I'll do so soon! LOL!

There are several things that will determine the length of those bricks. I will post some more info on my lunch break.

Leave a comment:

• rand18m
    replied

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0011.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	676.8 KB
ID:	306179

Let's see if this works!

Here is the tool without the angle iron attached. I will weld the socket and angle together but for those without a welder epoxy would work fine, something like JB weld would do the trick.

I'll post this soon in a new thread for this build when I get fully started. Right now trying to find materials, not having much luck with calsil board. If anyone knows where you can buy calsil board in the Dallas Fort Worth area please let me know.
    Last edited by rand18m; 10-08-2014, 06:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rand18m
    replied

Thanks so much for the reply, I think I will cut them 5.5 leaving me an inch at the bottom, and I can see how cutting the angle in the arch joints would make it much easier than the complicated cuts trying to tie in the chains to the arch. Do you recall off hand how long your middle or longest pieces were in the arch? As in the keystone piece? Don't go to any trouble, just curious, I'll be able to figure it out when I lay them out and mark with IT.

I'll have to post some pics of my IT, my oven will be 38-3/8" as dictated by the IT. I made it with a 3/8 drive 18" extension and a 3/8 drive swivel. I will attach a socket to my angle iron piece and I set an 11/16" socket into the wood for the bearing, fits the swivel perfectly. Just bought some cheap sockets from Harbor Freight, and the extension and swivel I can always use. Actually only sacrifice the one cheap socket, and I can make other tools to fit the end using sockets as the attachment to the extension. If I can figure out how to post a pic I'll do so soon! LOL!

Leave a comment:

• SteelandStone
    replied

I'm getting ready to start my oven and I do like your layout and kudos on the craftsmanship. I am wondering how long the oven arch upright pieces are you placed to support the arch. I'm guessing about 5 to 5-1/2" (towards the vent area, how long those brick were cut in length) but just curious. I plan to lay out the oven and vent arch just like that, like a fireplace arch. My oven will be in an indoor type wall so I have to decide the vent landing and final decorative arch before setting hearth. Again very nice work, it's been inspirational.
    Rand18m
    Thank you and I am glad I could contribute something to this great forum, there is a lot of great information on here.
    As for the bricks that make up the arch support, I measured them today and they are just short of 5 inches. The bricks that make up the arch itself are longer than that of course so they could be cut and angled to accept the dome bricks without having the funky cuts. They are a little bit of a pain to figure out but they make it super easy when you get to the chains of your dome that intersect it.
    Last edited by SteelandStone; 10-07-2014, 07:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SteelandStone
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    G'day
    Well its to be a "brick " oven, well why not, your pretty practiced with that dome so why not operate in your "area of expertise" brickwork.
    Like the Greenman has said that's a pretty impressive level of insulation, I'm impressed as well
    Regards dave
    Dave,
    Thank you for the vote of confidence, but no expertise here. I have done a lot of construction related things but brick laying is not one of them.

On the insulation I figured why not, I had not planned on putting the rock wool and other insulation in there but in the end i decided it sure won't hurt.

Leave a comment:

• rand18m
    replied

I'm getting ready to start my oven and I do like your layout and kudos on the craftsmanship. I am wondering how long the oven arch upright pieces are you placed to support the arch. I'm guessing about 5 to 5-1/2" (towards the vent area, how long those brick were cut in length) but just curious. I plan to lay out the oven and vent arch just like that, like a fireplace arch. My oven will be in an indoor type wall so I have to decide the vent landing and final decorative arch before setting hearth. Again very nice work, it's been inspirational.

Leave a comment:

• SteelandStone
    replied

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
    Steelandstone,

Your enclosure is coming along nicely Looking Good!

Looks like your vent pipe is working great. I had my doubts about a 8" vent being large enough. I lucked out on my vent, the transition is the same size as the flue 9" by 18" I contributed the good draw of my vent to flu size. Novaslo Is correct a large transition is the key.

Good job Novaslo pointing that out. Have you tried grinding on your vent area to smooth out the transition?

We need to try to get the word out.
    KB,
    Thank you, and you and Novaslo are 100% correct. The larger flue / transition area is the only way to go, not only for no stain on the front, but it draws like a mad bull. Mine ended up being 8" deep x 20" wide and 12" tall before it goes into the 8" dura pipe. The bricks leading up to the pipe are all tapered also. In one of the pictures below, you can see there is almost no smoke stain on the inside of the outer arch

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by Novaslo View Post
    I wish that I would have seen your build before I did my vent. The mistake I made was to small of a transition to the 8in Duravent. I thought the pipe was large enough to draw everything to it. I was wrong. I get smoke out the front, it is ok, but not the way I would do number 2 if I ever build one or help someone do one.

In your case, you will likely not get any smoke out the front. Nice job. Great quality build and you will be totally thrilled with your results.
    Steelandstone,

Your enclosure is coming along nicely Looking Good!

Looks like your vent pipe is working great. I had my doubts about a 8" vent being large enough. I lucked out on my vent, the transition is the same size as the flue 9" by 18" I contributed the good draw of my vent to flu size. Novaslo Is correct a large transition is the key.

Good job Novaslo pointing that out. Have you tried grinding on your vent area to smooth out the transition?

We need to try to get the word out.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by SteelandStone View Post
    Today I spent some time laying out how we want the brick work to go and what kind of accent or feature we want on the front above the oven opening. After sort of getting that figured out I started laying the brick. I am using regular brick but I am cutting them down to "thin" brick. So now I will try to get a batch or two slapped on every night after work and cut more of them down to size.
    G'day
    Well its to be a "brick " oven, well why not, your pretty practiced with that dome so why not operate in your "area of expertise" brickwork.
    Like the Greenman has said that's a pretty impressive level of insulation, I'm impressed as well
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Looks good. Plenty of insulation there.

Leave a comment:

• SteelandStone
    replied

Today I spent some time laying out how we want the brick work to go and what kind of accent or feature we want on the front above the oven opening. After sort of getting that figured out I started laying the brick. I am using regular brick but I am cutting them down to "thin" brick. So now I will try to get a batch or two slapped on every night after work and cut more of them down to size.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X