• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteelandStone
    replied
    Re: Just North of Nashville 42" Build

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

I can officially say I now below to C.D.A.
    Cracked Domes Anonymous

Hi, My name is Phil and my dome cracked. (I can hear the crowd now)

Did the first of the curing fires and sure enough I got a few cracks. One that goes right down the front into the arch and another one that runs horizontal for about 8". Nothing out of the norm and not real concerned about it.

Now if the weather would just shape up I can get the two vent arches mortared in and away we go.

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Sweet build. I love your attention to detail and the beautiful grout lines that come with precision-cutting smaller bricks. Takes hand-made to another level.

John

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Very nice completion of the dome.

Leave a comment:

• SteelandStone
    replied

Thank you Gulf,
    The wine is just something I play around with, no vineyard yet. This batch makes my 6th batch and I have three more going. We drink a bottle a night between the wife and I so this is a good way to get some decent wine cheap. The main problem is letting it age, it sure is harder than it sounds. One thing I do not do with the wine is add any sulfites so you can only let it age for so long.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Congratulations on the dome closing. Very nice looking bonds on the dome brick. It looks like you celebrated the right way . You should post some of the outlets for the Pond Water. I would like to chech it out the next time I head to the mountains .

Leave a comment:

• SteelandStone
    replied

This weekend went much better,, well as far as the oven is concerned anyway, no wine bottled but a little bit was consumed in celebration of the dome being completed. The last two courses did not come out as perfect as I would have liked but the key stone turned out centered and perfectly round, the final height of dome was 21-1/16". I started turning in the IT tool about course 5 one turn each course and ended up really close to the 21". Finished up any pointing and small fill in's that were needed so it is on to the vent landing and outer isolated arches.

Leave a comment:

• SteelandStone
    replied

Well last weekend I did not get much done on the oven, worked on it Friday and got another course and a half done , then Saturday we spent all day running around Nashville, and Sunday it rained like Noah was coming, at least I got some time to bottle some wine.

Leave a comment:

• Novaslo
    replied

You and your friends are going to admire the look of the inside of your oven. It is so cool to watch it get completely black and then soon when it gets to temp, your brick will clear and your oven will say...."Take a picture of me"

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Nice work are almost there. Agree with GF, take you time to finish out with the same quality work as the rest of the dome.

Leave a comment:

• SteelandStone
    replied

Originally posted by GIANLUCA View Post
    sometimes a small grout line just looks beautiful!! Great job. Don't rush it pizza is on its way b4 you know it
    Thank you and I agree. It is hard not to "Rush" it but I know pizza will be coming out soon enough. On the plus side I just received all my GI Metal peels and oven tools yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• GIANLUCA
    replied

sometimes a small grout line just looks beautiful!! Great job. Don't rush it pizza is on its way b4 you know it

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Nice. Very neat and tidy. Congratulations.

Leave a comment:

• SteelandStone
    replied

Here are just a few more pics of the progress from this weekend, I hope to close the dome this Sunday weather and work permitting.

Leave a comment:

• SteelandStone
    replied

Got some more work on the oven done this past weekend. I started getting into the chains where gravity is no longer a friend of mine. I fabricated up these simple and easy to make brick holders out of truss straps that are adjustable so you can "fine tune" the brick setting. After I bent them, I drilled the holes out so I could run a 1/4-20 tap in them. They work great and hold the brick in place until the FB mortar can take hold.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

S and S,

The GooGoo clusters never lasted the week, the SWMBO sniped them one day for lunch. LOL

Leave a comment:

Working...
X