X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteelandStone
    replied
    Re: Just North of Nashville 42" Build

Been busy on the roof and enclosure as I am trying to get it bricked and ready for a Thanksgiving weekend party. I got all the roof done last week except for a few pieces of flashing I still need to bend and paint black. Also got the rest of the insulation in and all but the front covered with dura rock. For insulation I ended up with 3"- 4" of ceramic, 7-1/2" of Rock wool and filled in the rest with some regular insulation. For the roof I use the ondura sheets but cut them into tiles and installed it so it would have the appearance of clay tiles.
    Yesterday I finished running the wires for the two wall lanterns that will go on the front, and then finished up the dura rock.

Leave a comment:

• SteelandStone
    replied

Well this past Saturday we finally cooked some pizza. Came out great and did not even burn them to a crisp.

Sunday I fired it back up for approx. 45 mins, cooked some pizzas for lunch and let the oven cool down some then we threw a roaster chicken in. 3hrs later and the fall off the bone chicken was done. Damn it was good.

I am extremely impressed with the heat retention; 12:30 on Sunday the fire was out a make shift door put in the entrance (400 degrees), we roasted the chicken and some veggies, and after that I just put a piece of OSB that was one of the arch forms against the opening and left it. Checked it Monday morning before work and it was at 360 degrees, today when I got home at 4:30pm it is still 195 degrees. Love it!!!!

I ended up with 3" of ceramic over the entire dome and 4" over approx. 50%, then I put 3-1/2" of Roxul Mineral wool over that. Today I stopped by a supply house that had some Thermafiber Rock wool and threw another 3" over that. Winter cooking here I come.

Leave a comment:

• SteelandStone
    replied

Originally posted by Novaslo View Post
    There is a lot to learn about cooking pizza. For what it is worth, I have been trying a number of dough recipe's and have settled on a favorite. First I have been using Peter Rienhardts book and pizza dough recipe which calls for an overnight or up to 3 day cold ferment. Basically you make the dough and form into balls. I wrap em in Saran wrap. Then put them in the fridge for a day or two.

Take them out when you are starting your fire and let them sit for 2 hours while heating up. Also his recipe calls for 1/4 cup olive oil. I purchased some Caputo flour and really like it. But don't use the oil.

Just my two cents. With Caputo flour, you do a 65% mix so 1000g of flour to 650g of water. Add your salt and yeast, whatever the recipe calls for. and No Oil.

Epic...great and tastes fantastic.

If you already know dough, disregard this post. Or just do your own and you will experiment as I did. Olive oil is a preference.

Good luck.
    Darin,

Good post, I have experimented in the past with dough and have also opted to leave the olive oil out of the dough. I purchased 25 lbs of the caputo "00" online and really like it and this past weekend got hooked up with an owner of a Italian market just south of us that will get me any of the Antico Molino flours I need.

I tried a slow rise 3 day dough a few weeks ago but the yeast was old and did not perform well, but I got some practice at balling, and shaping the dough. The batch I made this weekend was just a quick dough and only sat for approx. 8 hrs. Still good but I am going to make a batch on Thursday and let leave it in the fridge till sat.

Leave a comment:

• Novaslo
    replied

There is a lot to learn about cooking pizza. For what it is worth, I have been trying a number of dough recipe's and have settled on a favorite. First I have been using Peter Rienhardts book and pizza dough recipe which calls for an overnight or up to 3 day cold ferment. Basically you make the dough and form into balls. I wrap em in Saran wrap. Then put them in the fridge for a day or two.

Take them out when you are starting your fire and let them sit for 2 hours while heating up. Also his recipe calls for 1/4 cup olive oil. I purchased some Caputo flour and really like it. But don't use the oil.

Just my two cents. With Caputo flour, you do a 65% mix so 1000g of flour to 650g of water. Add your salt and yeast, whatever the recipe calls for. and No Oil.

Epic...great and tastes fantastic.

If you already know dough, disregard this post. Or just do your own and you will experiment as I did. Olive oil is a preference.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

nice job..good vibes too

Leave a comment:

• SteelandStone
    replied

Well I did the last of the curing fires got the dome up to 850-900 and all went well. I only have one spot where some heat is bleeding through to the outside and it is where my "Expansion Joint" is. It happens to be almost top dead center of the arch, other than that it is awesome. I may peel back the insulation in that section and put a little more kaowool moldable just in that area and pour some perlite to fill in any voids in that immediate area but that's it. I hope to finish the framing this weekend and at least get the roof sheathing on. Oh and make some pizza on sunday.

Leave a comment:

• SteelandStone
    replied

I wish that I would have seen your build before I did my vent. The mistake I made was to small of a transition to the 8in Duravent. I thought the pipe was large enough to draw everything to it. I was wrong. I get smoke out the front, it is ok, but not the way I would do number 2 if I ever build one or help someone do one.

In your case, you will likely not get any smoke out the front. Nice job. Great quality build and you will be totally thrilled with your results.
    Hey Darin,

It does draw really well and should draw even better when I take the canopy off the top of the pergola tomorrow as the top of the vent pipe is pretty close to it. I am real happy I spent the extra time to build the transition that way.
    Got her up to 650 today, pizza on sunday.

Leave a comment:

• Novaslo
    replied

I wish that I would have seen your build before I did my vent. The mistake I made was to small of a transition to the 8in Duravent. I thought the pipe was large enough to draw everything to it. I was wrong. I get smoke out the front, it is ok, but not the way I would do number 2 if I ever build one or help someone do one.

In your case, you will likely not get any smoke out the front. Nice job. Great quality build and you will be totally thrilled with your results.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

I copied it from one of my previous post so it does not display, but you get the drift. Their Jack is much cheaper than our Jack..............I was there earlier this year and 30 years ago. Being a dry county you could not even sample Jack back then but my last visit they not only can sell special edition bottles they have a tasting tour but at 9:00 AM in the morning, when I went, was a little too earlier to be sampling your TN brew.

Leave a comment:

• SteelandStone
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Nice brick work, on a roll. You will like this being from TN, This is how Jack Daniels start their fires (really to make charcoal) but they use Jack to start the fire...........
    I tried to click on the picture/link but for some reason it is not working. I don't know if I could bring myself to toss some Jack in the oven as fuel, but I sure do like their smoking chips they sell that are made from the old barrels. I use them all the time.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Nice brick work, on a roll. You will like this being from TN, This is how Jack Daniels start their fires (really to make charcoal) but they use Jack to start the fire...........

Leave a comment:

• SteelandStone
    replied

Well I got some more work done this past weekend despite an all day concert on Saturday. I got the two outer arches up, started the vent box/transition, and even had time on Friday which I took off to go get all the supplies for the enclosure and the brick that will cover it. I went with a rather large vent area so as to try to prevent any smoke from getting out the front and all over the decorative arch. If all goes well I will have the duravent sittin on top Sunday.

Leave a comment:

• SteelandStone
    replied

Well, here is how it goes. After you get it nearly done, you will undoubtedly cook in it. Then you will stop ALL progress and cooking will take over.

You will grill, you will bake, you will tortilla everything in your fridge and cook away. You will do fish and Pizza till your spouse says, NO MORE PIZZA....and then and only then will you finish it the rest of the way.

That's what I think.
    I all ready fear this and realize it will happen. I have made a "deadline" for at least having it enclosed and ready for Thanksgiving. But only time will tell

Leave a comment:

• Steellearning
    replied

Well, here is how it goes. After you get it nearly done, you will undoubtedly cook in it. Then you will stop ALL progress and cooking will take over.

You will grill, you will bake, you will tortilla everything in your fridge and cook away. You will do fish and Pizza till your spouse says, NO MORE PIZZA....and then and only then will you finish it the rest of the way.

That's what I think.
    Thats pretty much where I'm at...

Leave a comment:

• Novaslo
    replied

That's what I think.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X