Northwest PA 36" oven build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Northwest PA 36" oven build

Thanks for the offer UtahBeehiver. I'll be sending you a PM soon.

More progress on the rock work (only about an hour a night).

I will be grouting between the rocks (hopefully this weekend if time permits)

I'm also going to darken/age the cedar shingles on the side with a coat of Van Dyck Crystals followed by an iron oxide solution (vinegar and steel wool).

Comment

Finally getting closer to a completed oven. Its been getting dark so early I have only been getting an hour or so after work if the weather permits.

Stonework is all finished.
      Cedar roof and walls finished.

Working on door, roof cap and stain/acid etch the base.

latest pizza picture.

thanks for the advice on the sauce! The last pizza attempt was just about perfection

Comment

Awesome build!! How did you know what angle to put the bricks as you were building the dome if you didn't use an IT or shims??

Comment

Thanks TPD.

I figured that the size of shim I would need was about the size of my pinky finger and just eyeballed it. I am a commercial photographer by trade (not that you could tell from my crappy cell phone pictures, I'll take some good ones when I'm all finished) and build arts and crafts furniture as a hobby. My eyes and hands have become very accurate instruments

Comment

Finally got a chance to weld up an insulated door. Door is 14 gage steel with 3 inches of ceramic fiber blanket inside. Handles are just simple tube steel. Painted in hi-temp paint. Fits just about perfect. Thermometer is a bit of overkill as it goes to 1000 degrees. Wish it had a stop post for the measuring hand.... but should work just fine.

Comment

Also make a simple roof cone out of thin aluminum sheet. riveted it together and used silicon to seal up the edge. Might not be fancy but gets the job done. Still want to stain / acid etch the pillars and hearth slab but it might have to wait until spring at this point. Weather is turning to crap fast! We had some snow flakes fall last night.

I have no complaints about the oven at this point. It is performing better every time I fire it up. I think I had a fair amount of moisture under the floor.

Now that I have a door I'm planning on using my oven much more often. First up 100% whole wheat sourdough. Just need my starter to wake up a bit more

Comment

Hello, neat build. If you were starting over would you build the flue differently or is it working ok now? Did you taper cut the bricks for the dome at all or just use the mortar to make up the difference? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X