Out of work Pizza Man's 42" Build in NJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of work Pizza Man's 42" Build in NJ

Hi All. I decided to start my build towards the end of the summer. I have been out of work because my family's pizzeria has been closed since the end of June due to a fire that started the next store over. I eventually got frustrated with poor pizza that I attempted to make in my conventional GE gas oven. I needed to build a real pizza oven. I decided to dive in. After spending a great deal of time researching and reading "The Bread Builders" book, I started planing my build. Eventually I got to starting.

Pics:
    Here is the spot that I choose to put the oven.

One of the first tasks was to redirect the sprinkler pipes away from underneath my slab location.

Re: Out of work Pizza Man's 42" Build in NJ

Are you building an oven for bread or pizza?

Comment

There are better-designed ovens (for bread and pizza) than the outdated Alan Scott ovens.

Check out the free Pompeii oven plans on the FB site and the builds contained here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/n...res-15133.html

If it's superior pizza you want, you may as well build what will undoubtedly get you there.

John

Comment

I just used regular Quikrete sack mix for the slab, rented a mixer from HD and went to work. Unfortunately, one of my biggest problems was that I began to run out of daylight at the end of the pour. If I hadn't already rented the mixer, I probably would not have started that late, but knew that it had to be back in the morning. I did get it done, however the finish on the top was not as smooth as I would have liked. The slab is reinforced with 1/2" rebar and I put an isolation layer of polystyrene underneath.

Next after keeping the slab wet for a few days and after it cured pretty well, I set down my block. Nothing fancy here. Joined with standard mortar, poured concrete into the four corners with rebar, used an angle iron above the door and also reinforced with rebar.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
          Are you building an oven for bread or pizza?
          My fault in explaining. I began by reading the book, then found on this forum on why I should not build the barrel oven if I want to make pizza primarily. So I am building a Pompeii dome.

The book was a good starting point in learning the basics.
          Last edited by spiderrinaldi; 10-01-2014, 06:08 PM.

Comment

No problem with a barrel, just don't use the Alan Scott design.

Comment

Pics from before of slab and block walls.

Comment

Next comes the setup of form for the hearth slab and pouring of the slab. I went with Hardiebacker instead of plywood. Seems like it will provide a little more permanent support and is easy to use. In the pics you will see the finished slab which of course is reinforced with rebar.

Comment

I have gathered the materials for the next phase of the project. I got a case of INSBLOK 19 (2" - 12" x 36"). Comes 8 per case. Trying to figure out the best way to maximize the insulation. Has anyone else figured out a configuration for using 8 pieces of INSBLOK? Would love to get 4" of insulation underneath using what I have.

I also have a couple of Fiber Blankets, which should come out to be 3" of insulation for the dome.

It was tough finding firebrick for some reason. All I could get was 8 1/4" size, low duty Whitacre Greer. Paid $1.30 each. No one carries 9" size for some reason. I started by getting 120 pieces. Not sure how many I will need so I will go back to get more once the dome starts rolling.

Going to use the homebrew mix for mortar.

Also bought the HF 10" Wet Saw.

Comment

Nice start! Are you planning to build the dome this fall? I'm guessing you're going to need some sort of cover on it to get it done in NJ.
                    My build progress
                    My WFO Journal on Facebook
                    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Spider,

Looks like you're well on your way. The 8 1/4" bricks will be fine. So what if you use one more half-brick per course? No big deal. I cut my bricks slightly small anyway, in order to get a rounder look and feel to the dome.

I think you'll find the homebrew easy to work with. I went with it and tweaked each batch by adding a bit of fireclay and lime, and reducing the portland percentage a bit. Worked a treat.

I recently switched computers to a Mac and can't find my original Insboard layout, but here's a (marginal) pic. I originally used Sketchup to draw up every configuration I could think of. This one was the most efficient. The diameter of the 'insulation well' was 55".

Oh, and I started out with a HF saw before switching to an MK. You will experience longer blade life if you keep those jets unclogged.

John

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                        Nice start! Are you planning to build the dome this fall? I'm guessing you're going to need some sort of cover on it to get it done in NJ.
                        I am planning on being done this fall. I will be putting a roof over it.

Comment

cool. Keep it as dry as you can while you build it too. You'll have a lot easier time with the curing.
                          My build progress
                          My WFO Journal on Facebook
                          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Is there any reason to secure the Insblok board to the Hearth Slab, or should it just sit on top, held down by the weight of the oven I am about to build?

Comment

I have made some progress. I have the INSBlok-19 board down and the floor laid out. I even started the first soldier course. So far I had to make a few decisions, which I hope I do not regret later:

1. Did not attach board to hearth slab.
                              - I figure, there is no way it's moving

2. I did not use the sand/fireclay paste underneath the hearth floor
                              - The floor is relatively level. I also like the ability to pull out the floor bricks if they ever break or need to be replaced for any reason. I'm also reluctant to put that paste on top of the insulation board. Seems like it will soak up that water from the sand/fireclay slurry. Best to keep it dry if at all possible, IMO.

3. Went with a tall standing soldier course (actually the true meaning of the term "soldier" in bricklaying). I am basing my design off of Pizza Bob's build. TRIED to Cut the tops off at a 20 Deg angle. After I cut them I realized that I made a mistake and they were actually at 25 degrees. I had a brain fart while using the HF Saw's angle cutter attachment. It's too late now, and it doesn't seem like anything to worry about. I would barely see a difference if I went back and recut them all.

Anyway, here are my progress pics.

Comment

Working...
                              X