My first attempt for 42" oven / changed to 36"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My first attempt for 42" oven / changed to 36"

The next step is to start the cement bricks construction.
    I think that i must use lime.
    Now,which is the ratio?
    Thanks
    Last edited by George_M; 11-13-2014, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Regular mortar? Think it's 1 cement 2 lime and 3 sand.. or something like that. I just buy premixed stuff. For the oven itself I used heatstop 50
      Tony

Link to my oven build thread:
      40 inch indoor pompeii in NNY

Comment

Hi Tony,
        Asked a person who knows about concrete and told me, 1 cement 3 sand 1 lime.
        Thanks!

Comment

Sounds good George. Seems to be quite a bit of variation that are all acceptable for sticking blocks together.
          Tony

Link to my oven build thread:
          40 inch indoor pompeii in NNY

Comment

If all goes well with the weather i will start the contruction tomorrow.
            The weather today is raining and i can't do anything.

Comment

With this not being a high-load structure in my opinion you can use either a Type S or Type N. "S" is stronger, but being above grade, either mix will suffice.

A generic "S" recipe is one part portland cement, one half that amount of hydrated lime, add those two together (1.5 parts) then multiply by three, and the latter is your amount of sand. So a 1 to 0.5 to 4.5, or more commonly and more easily written as 2:1:9, two parts portland cement, one part lime, nine parts sand.

A Type N mix is meant for above grade exterior work. It doesn't have as high a compressive strength as an "S" mix. It's a 1:1:6 ratio of portland, lime, and sand.

As the other guys mentioned, there certainly are a lot of variations out there, they're often tweaked for what you are building and the material you're working with.

Most places sell bags of "portland cement". If you find bags of "Masonry Cement" for sale, they're usually labelled as "Type S" or Type N Masonry Cement". In that case, you'd just add sand to the masonry cement, as the bag already contains the proper portion of portand cement and lime. As well as maybe a few other additives. Mix directions should be on the bag.

If you find bags of "Masonry Mortar", all you have to do is add water. Masonry Mortar contains properly portioned portland cement, lime, and sand.
              Mongo

My Build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-42-ct-build

Comment

In my country i haven't seen before porlant cement,so is difficult to find.
                I will use common cement powder not pre-mixed.

Comment

Basic cement powder should be "Portland Cement". It is only cement, nothing else in the bag.

I agree, the already portioned Masonry Cement and Masonry Mortar might not be available. Good luck!
                  Mongo

Comment

Yes it's only cement but they make it here in Greece. Called Titan or Hercules.
                    Thanks!

Comment

Next step completed!
                      I think i did well because this is the first time who build
                      How do you see my first attempt?

I have a question.

Someone told me that the correct position of the cement bricks is to build with the holes down.

Here, i saw that all who made the stand for the base, build the cement bricks with the holes up.

Can somebody say few words about this

I hope that i don't made a mistake.

Comment

George.....I'd be glad to help, but I'm not sure I understand your question. Are your blocks not hollow all the way through? As far as I can tell by your photos, it looks fine. Blocks here actually do have a top and bottom, but it's more for convenience than structure. The middle webbing is sometimes wider on the top and it's done so it makes it easier to grab and place. If that is what you are referring to, don't worry about it. Do you plan to mortar all your block or drystack the rest?
                        My Build:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Sorry for my bad english,i am Greek.
                          My question is for the cement bricks and how to place.
                          Someone told the that the holes must me look in earth and the bottom on sky.
                          This is correct?
                          I plan to mortar only the corners.

Comment

Your blocks are set correctly.
                            Mongo

Comment

Nice!!
                              Thanks for your help.

Comment

I agree. They will work fine either way for what you are doing. Someone may have been being technical about the way to lay them when they said that, since usually they do have a top and bottom, but you are fine. Looking good!
                                My Build:
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Working...
                                X