• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re: My first attempt for 42" oven / changed to 36"

Wow!!
    Beautful oven!!
    Very glad to meet you here guys!
    Today i found lot of building materials for the base.
    I need to buy cement and sand only and i will start shortly.

Comment

Hi,
      I bought cement,sand,gravel and now i will focus on foundation dimensions.
      Becasune of change the construcion place to another i have limited space,i don't know which is the acceptable size of foundation.
      From other contstructions i saw that made 82"x76" but i think is too much.

If i make the concrete blocks base 4x3 than 5x3 is it small for 42" oven?

I don't make enclosure over the oven,so i don't need much space from right and left of the oven.

Comment

Hi George,

If you use half bricks (4.5") and 3-4" of ceramic blanket for insulation plus some sort of coating over the blanket you will need to add approximately 18" to the width of the inner dimension to calculate the total outside dimension of the oven. So a 42" oven will be roughly 60" in diameter. If you are planning to use a different insulation then the insulation layer would be even thicker. You could maybe make it a bit thinner on the brick and less insulation but you will reduce the heat holding capacity for using the residual heat to cook with. For example, 4" bricks and 2" ceramic insulation plus 1" for coating over blanket would reduce the added width to 14". If you plan to cook mostly with an active fire then this is not as big a deal.
        Tony

Link to my oven build thread:
        40 inch indoor pompeii in NNY

Comment

I would think the smallest you would want to try would be 5' wide x 6' deep......which gives you a little over a 1' landing

42 + 9 ( brick) + 6 (insulation) + scratch coat or Vcrete or whatever, not sure what others are doing here. A lot of different things I think

I don't know how big these guys are making their landings, mines like 18" but I'm building a 54"
          Build
          http://dudecaves.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6

Comment

My last thoughts is to make a 36" oven,so i don't take the risk to go to limits for a 42" oven.

A 36" oven need less space and i think will be the best choise for my space.

My plan for the base is to make 1,40mX1,20m (55"X 47") and the foundation dimensions will be 1,50mX1,30m (59"X51")
            I think this size will be good for 36" oven.
            Which is your opinion?
            Also i can go to 1,40mX1,40m (55"X55") for the base if it's better,but i prefer the 1,40mX1,20m (55"X 47").

Comment

Hi George,

How much space are you planning for with oven wall thickness and insulation thickness as well as coating on the outside of the insulation? Typically you need more depth front to back than width because the landing takes up more distance than the insulation and outer coating on the side.

The 47" is a bit short in my opinion. 55" wide would allow for 9.5" on each side to accommodate brick insulation and outer coating. 4.5" brick would leave 5" for insulation and outer coating which should be doable. (36" + 9.5 +9.5 = 55")

55" for depth is a bit short when you add in the wall thickness (including insulation and outer coating) at the back of the oven plus the oven brick thickness at the front. 36" oven, 9.5" back wall, 4.5" front brick thickness brings you to 50". Then you need to add in the front entry/landing/flue area distance with outer arch etc.

Tony
              Last edited by Tonyp; 11-09-2014, 07:07 PM.
              Tony

Comment

Hi Tony,
                As other members pics,i saw that used 4 cement bricks horizontal and 3 in vertical and others used 4x4.
                So, this base is almost 55"x55" for 4x4 cement bricks and i think it hasn't got any problem with the space.

60" in depth is good size for 36" oven?

Thanks

Comment

Hi George,

I think 55" wide x 60" deep would be excellent for your 36" oven! You would have good space to properly insulate and finish the oven and build your entry/landing/flue.

Tony
                  Tony

Comment

Hi,
                    I start to prepare my foundation today.

The size is 1.60mX1.50m (almost 63"X60") so i will go for 55"x60" base as Tony suggest me.

You can see my mom's small tree,i uproot it
                    Last edited by George_M; 11-10-2014, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Hi,
                      Some updates from today.
                      I finished the frame and i am ready for the concrete.
                      Maybe tomorrow i will fill it.

Which is the concrete ratio for a strong foundation?(cement-sand-gravel)

Comment

Hi,
                        Today i plan to make the concrete for the foundation.
                        The ratio 1 cement-2 sand-1 gravel is acceptable for strong concrete?

Comment

Originally posted by George_M View Post
                          Hi,
                          I think you can use more gravel, based on my quick browsing of the internet but I don't personally mix concrete from scratch. Maybe one of the more experienced members can give you better advice.
                          Tony

Comment

Hi,
                            I go by weight, not volume because the 3-4 components have completed different weights so convert this to whatever measurements you use.

In the U.S we call mixes 5 sack, 6 sack etc. I usually try for a 6 sack mix

Mixing ratio to make 1 yard of concrete

To produce a 3000 psi cubic yard of concrete (27 cubic feet) the concrete mixture ratio is:

1. 517 pounds of cement

2. 1560 pounds of sand

3. 1600 pounds of stone

4. 32 - 34 gallons of water

This mixing ratio will give you a concrete mix that is strong, durable, and good for most concrete projects. A cubic yard of concrete will fill an area 8 feet wide by 10 feet long by 4 inches thick, or 80 square feet @ 4 inches thick.

At 6 inches thick a cubic yard of concrete will fill an area 52 square feet and at 5 inches thick, it will fill an area that's 65 square feet.

To produce a cubic yard of 4000 psi concrete, you have to adjust the concrete mixing ratio to:

1. 611 pounds of cement

2. 1450 pounds of sand

3. 1600 pounds of stone

4. 33- 35 gallons of water
                            Build
                            http://dudecaves.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6

Comment

Hi,
                              A generic ratio is 1:2:3, one part portland cement, two parts sand, and three parts stone. The stone is roughly 2cm in size.

I recommend you remove all organic materials from where the slab will be poured. Roots, top soil, etc. If the slab is poured over topsoil, the organic material in the top soil will break down and decompose over time, resulting in voids under the slab. Voids can cause the slab to settle in an uneven fashion. That can result in cracking.
                              Mongo

My Build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-42-ct-build

Comment

Thanks all for the replies.
                                My foundation completed!!
                                I go for the next step!

Comment

Working...
                                X