Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My first attempt for 42" oven / changed to 36"

Hi,
    I plan to put the floor plates like the first photo.
    I think that will be ok.

I need more space to put the bricks on the floor (second photo),so i think to put bricks at high arch distance, like the third photo,so the bricks will build on it.
    Which is your opinion?

Also,in the floor corners,i have free space.Can i leave it as they are to avoid cutting in arch?

In my last photo you can see the compare of insulation layer fro the first day and today. I think is dry.Can i put the floor on Saturday or i need to leave it more days to dry?

Comment

Originally posted by George_M View Post
      Hi,
      I plan to put the floor plates like the first photo.
      I think that will be ok.

I need more space to put the bricks on the floor (second photo),so i think to put bricks at high arch distance, like the third photo,so the bricks will build on it.
      Which is your opinion?

Also,in the floor corners,i have free space.Can i leave it as they are to avoid cutting in arch?

In my last photo you can see the compare of insulation layer fro the first day and today. I think is dry.Can i put the floor on Saturday or i need to leave it more days to dry?
      You can build on the hearth brick. Setting the floor on the inside of the dome would make changing hearth brick easier, but firebrick is pretty much a lifetime install on occasional use home ovens.

It's hard to say if your insulation is dry based on a picture, because of the variables involved. If you really want that layer to dry faster, take the forms off.
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

Hi George,

You can trace the wood outline on the floor bricks and then cut them to fit inside the dome and entry. You can then build the dome and entry on top of the perlcrete.

The alternative would be to extend the floor bricks a little bit so the dome sitting on top doesn't overhang the floor. When you build in this method typically you trim the floor bricks so they don't stick out too much beyond the dome, but a little bit won't hurt and you won't see it once the outside of the oven is insulated and finished.
        Tony

Link to my oven build thread:
        40 inch indoor pompeii in NNY

Comment

I want to avoid to cut in arch the floor plates because i haven't any other tools except the angle grinder and i don't know how easy will be.

The other solution is to cut the plates like the photo.

Comment

I want to avoid to cut in arch the floor plates because i haven't any other tools except the angle grinder and i don't know how easy will be.

The other solution is to cut the plates like the photo.
            To repeat, you CAN build your dome right on top of your hearth brick. It's not an inferior method....unless you're using soft biscotti tile or junky brick.

Build away.
            Last edited by stonecutter; 12-19-2014, 06:11 AM. Reason: Sp
            Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
            John Ruskin

Comment

Thanks stonecutter!

I will build on the hearth brick and i will cut the floor plates like the photo.

It will be better for the insulation with ceramic blanket because will enclose it inside.

If i don't cut the edges will be outside from the ceramic blanket.Bad idea..

Comment

Hi,
                Today i removed the wood frame from the perlcrete to fast the dry proccess.
                I will put it again if i start the floor to avoid any damages in the perlcrete.

Also,i try to cut two bricks to test the blade.It cuts very nice but i have problem to cut straight.
                I made a base to align the blade while i cut the bricks.I didn't test it yet but i think will help me to cut straight the bricks.

Comment

Hi George,
                  Did you download and study the Pompeii plans, and are you modifying as you build? I thing by trying to reattach your frame probably do more damage than your building the oven on it.

Comment

Hi,
                    Today i removed the wood frame from the perlcrete to fast the dry proccess.
                    I will put it again if i start the floor to avoid any damages in the perlcrete.

Also,i try to cut two bricks to test the blade.It cuts very nice but i have problem to cut straight.
                    I made a base to align the blade while i cut the bricks.I didn't test it yet but i think will help me to cut straight the bricks.
                    George,
                    Try to allow that vermicrete to dry really well (I'm talking weeks not days) before building over it. Removing the water from an under floor vermicrete slab takes a long time to do it with fires.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
                      Hi George,
                      Did you download and study the Pompeii plans, and are you modifying as you build? I thing by trying to reattach your frame probably do more damage than your building the oven on it.
                      Yes,but i missed something?
                      If you mean for the frame,i didn't remove it permanently yet.Just for drying.
                      Also,i disassembly it in the two corners to avoid damages when i put it again.It is looks like two "L"
                      Originally posted by david s View Post
                      George,
                      Try to allow that vermicrete to dry really well (I'm talking weeks not days) before building over it. Removing the water from an under floor vermicrete slab takes a long time to do it with fires.
                      David i will let it dry more of course,i didn't start the floor yet.
                      Last edited by George_M; 12-21-2014, 04:09 AM.

Comment

Hi,
                        Today i try to cut the bricks in the frame which i made for straight cutting.
                        I cut the bricks much better than without it.
                        I soaked first in water and i cut it very easy.

Also,two weeks now,the weather is sunny and the temperature almost 20 oC!
                        It helps to dry the perlcrete.

Comment

Woo looks like you are just about ready to start construction! The cutting looks fine to me. It sure helps to soak the bricks first for sure!
                          Tony

Comment

I wait for this time.hehehe

I see photos from other ovens and i have a question.
                            In the first row did you put mortar between floor and brick?(or under the brick and up to the floor)
                            Or need only left and right of the bricks?
                            Look my attachment what i mean.

Comment

I wait for this time.hehehe

I see photos from other ovens and i have a question.
                              In the first row did you put mortar between floor and brick?(or under the brick and up to the floor)
                              Or need only left and right of the bricks?
                              Look my attachment what i mean.
                              Hi George,

The floor is not mortared to the first row, so only mortar on the sides.
                              Tony

Comment

Hi,
                                Do you know the perlite durability in high temperautres?
                                Is it strong enough when the temperature is high?

Comment

Working...
                                X