X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas on my measurements?
    Thanks

Comment

• I'm not sure George? Again what is the thickness of the brick and the insulation separately? Your showing a 47" O.D. for your oven. 2.3" for brick and 3.2" for insulation? The reason I'm asking is that 2.3" is a little thin for normal size firebrick. But, then again, I don't know what "normal size" firebrick are in Greece . Aside from all of that, I am a big fan of full size templates. They can be easily made from taping together posterboard or used cardboard boxes. Include the entry and the finish thicknesses of the face of the entry and the render of the dome. You can then orient the template as you want it. From there you can decide what size stand you need. Many have ran into trouble by not leaving enough room for the entry. I've seen a few that left way too much. If I were doing a corner build. I would definately lay this thing out full scale on the ground before I built the stand. Also (referencing your other thread) Are you sure that your roof is built for load bearing?
      Last edited by Gulf; 12-05-2015, 08:29 AM.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

• As for the bricks size http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...-bricks-choise
        In inch the size is: 8.6X4.3X2.3
        Yes, you are right.I will make a template before start the construction that't why i ask first to calculate it correct.

As for the roof,yes can it hold the load.

Comment

• Alright, then you need to change the thickness of your brick on the template to 4.3". If you are going with 3.2" of insulation, I'm coming up with 51" as the OD of your oven without render. And (referencing your brick choice thread) I'm assuming that you can get them both from the same manufacturer. If they are the same density, that sounds like an ok plan to me. But, it will take more brick (more money) if you are going for tight outside joints. That really isn't necessary imo.
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

• Yes,they are the same density from the same manufacturer..
            I will calculate again all the measurements to be sure for the final template.
            Thanks for your help.

Comment

• I agree with Gulf on tight outside joints. I went this route and it takes much time and effort. Focus on tight inside dome joints and let the mortar be your friend.
              Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

• Ok i will use normal bricks not wedges..Thanks for your help!

Comment

• Hi again.
                  I think that i missed something for the insulation calculations.
                  I will put ceramic fiber blanket and i read that need 3 layers.
                  Does anybody know the thickness of the blanket to calculate the total size?

Comment

• The CF blanket is widely available here in 1" and 2" thickness. Most i've seen here use the 1" .
                    It's easier to work with.

Comment

• Nice!
                      So,i will calculate 1"x3 layers and i add 0,2" to have space.
                      After the blanket need to extend for somethning else?

So far my calculations for the total size is:
                      36" the floor + 4,3(x2) the bricks + 3,2"(x2) the blanket = 51"

Comment

• Edit my template.

Click image for larger version

Name:	oven.JPG
Views:	441
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	386329
                        Last edited by George_M; 03-17-2016, 09:17 AM.

Comment

• Area formula of a sphere is 4 X radius Sq X pi so in our case the ovens are one half of a sphere so 2 X 25.5Sq X 3.14 per layer will be calculate to the outer layer which is the max OD. Buy some contingency for waste and as well as other areas on the oven.
                          Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 12-12-2015, 09:49 AM. Reason: correction
                          Russell

Comment

• Thanks for the formula,but you need to know all parameteres for the final O.D.
                            So in my oven,after the blanket does it need to add another layer in my calculation or 51" is the final size?

Comment

• I guess I am confused, in post #160 3 layers of insulation was a total of 3.2 X2 to get you to an outside diameter of 51" this is your max OD with insulation so all the parameters are there. 2 times 25.5 squared times 3.14 pi = abt 28.4 square feet with no contingency.
                              Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 12-12-2015, 08:31 PM. Reason: Fat thumbs on calculator.
                              Russell

Comment

• The insulation will coated with cement or stucco, need to add it in the measurement?

Comment

Working...
                                X