36" Pompeii Build, West Lafayette, IN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 36" Pompeii Build, West Lafayette, IN

Next time? I like the way your thinking...

Good job sticking with it. The fun is about to begin.
    The cost of living continues to skyrocket, and yet it remains a popular choice.

Comment

Originally posted by dakzaag View Post
      Next time? I like the way your thinking...

Good job sticking with it. The fun is about to begin.
      Thanks. I'm enjoying the build. I just hope as things have moved towards the oven building, that I'm not screwing anything up.

The front of the insulation mold was designed to allow insulation under the vent landing, yet allow space for the metal track for the wall studs. I sure hope it is wide enough - 24". I took 11" for the oven opening (between 10-12 from the guide) + 9(brick) and bumped it up.

Also, I set it back enough to allow for a landing or an extended arched landing. We still haven't set it in stone (pun?) yet.

I know this is one of those projects where you kind of go with the flow and must be flexible, but it's the engineer in me that want's everything set up and completely predictable.
      "Half of the lies the tell about me aren't true!"

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Originally posted by Cubslover View Post
        Well, the perlcrete is easy to mix and easy to work with, BUT...

I had to use the crap I bought from Amazon for a terrible deal (which was also extremely coarse) AND everything the local Menards had.

Next time will be CF board for sure.
        Actually, it's the coarse stuff that is preferred, as opposed to the fine stuff, which is made small for insulating block work, etc. Your stuff will work, it just does not insulate nearly as well as the coarse material.
        Last edited by NCMan; 04-05-2015, 07:35 AM.
        My Build:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Originally posted by NCMan View Post
          Actually, it's the coarse stuff that is preferred, as opposed to the fine stuff, which is made small for insulating block work, etc. Your stuff will work, it just does not insulate as well as the coarse material.
          That makes sense. Had I known I was going to use it all, I would have blended it all.

Poop. I did try to blend it in the 2nd half of the pour, where the first batches were still workable.

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Your sketch program is very helpful in playing what if... and will this work? or how much work is this?

Comment

Originally posted by NCMan View Post
              Actually, it's the coarse stuff that is preferred, as opposed to the fine stuff, which is made small for insulating block work, etc. Your stuff will work, it just does not insulate nearly as well as the coarse material.
              Now I'm beginning to worry. Should I scrap this and start anew??

I may check my place in Indy to if they have 1" CFBoard. Maybe I can add a layer of it to help and provide a smoother surface. I'm still worried about the quality of the surface of the insulating layer in regards to laying a flat and level floor. Will the Fireclay/sand paste I trowel down help level things out?

As far as an update: I'm glad I poured the insulation layer this weekend, rain all week will force me to allow it to cure. Everything is tented and covered for the week.

I noticed yesterday that the insulation layer was "crumbly". The coarse Perlite was easily removed from the surface. I believe this is normal from what I have read...after a few days it'll be rock hard?

Since I didn't have anything else to do on it yesterday, I finished the edges of my hearth's poor pour (see what I did there?), filling gaps and air pockets. I know it was of no significant need but it makes me feel better.
              Last edited by Cubslover; 04-06-2015, 06:00 AM.

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Here is a quick search of Industrial Insulation Supply in Indiana. I found Calcium Silicate board, and Perlite board under a couple of them. You may even find Ceramic Fiber board in your area, with a little searching, and maybe just a few phone calls.

If you have any remaining perlite or vermiculite, it can easily be ground to a smaller particle while it is dry. You can mix a slurry that is a little stonger with the portland to add a skim coat over the top of your v/pcrete layer. That will fill the voids, smooth, and firm things up.
                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

The insulation mix will never be rock hard in my opinion, not enough aggregate and cement to really get where you think it should. Remember it is an insulation layer, and by definition, it should be mostly air. It will not compress under the weight of the oven, but you will be able to abrade it until it is covered and that is why we say leave the forms on as long as possible because the build process will shred the edges of the insulation.

I built an oven last summer that has 3" mix of perlite, zonalite,portland. I cooked a turkey in the oven on Sunday, it was fantastic. Pizza Saturday night, and fired hard til about 10 pm then at noon on Sunday we put the bird in and it was done by 2:30. About 8:30 last night I checked the temp of the oven and it was around 300. I checked the bottom of the slab (top of the wood storage area) and it was over 100. That tells me I need more insulation under the oven because I am bleeding heat there. The dome never got warm once.

I would say if you have 3.5" of pericrete, another inch of board will be a good idea.

There is no need to have a layer of anything between the floor and the insulating layer, but if you need to level it out some then a little clay, fine sand mix will work.

Comment

Thanks for the reassurance. I will try to find a good price on the 1" board. Still waiting on some quotes.

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

• Re: 36" Pompeii Build, West Lafayette, IN

We've been looking at different finishes for this oven.

Strongly considering reclaimed brick, I'me not a fan of the bright red bricks. Hopefully I can find something faded or tan.

Still no deals on insulating board. Still looking and waiting on a couple quotes.

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Mohawk Klinkers by Colonial Brick Corporation in Cayuga IN. They have a lot of rustic stuff, check out their smoketone.
                        Don't get them confused with a Colonial Brick out of Chicago, different animal.

Comment

Originally posted by dakzaag View Post
                          Mohawk Klinkers by Colonial Brick Corporation in Cayuga IN. They have a lot of rustic stuff, check out their smoketone.
                          Don't get them confused with a Colonial Brick out of Chicago, different animal.
                          Thanks for the lead.

I sent them an email asking for pricing and information.

I also thought of salvaging old brick from demos and piecing them together as I begin to finish the oven.

Our original plan was for a fancy mortarless stone veneer, but I like the old brick more and more. Maybe we will leave it for a bit and give us more time to make up our minds.

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Once you start cooking you may find that the finishing up jobs take a back seat.

Pita bread is real good in the oven.

David

Comment

Let me see if I can post a few pics.

Colonial Brick Corp

I have pics of actual projects with these brick, I did a pizza joint in the clinkers, it turned out great.
                              If they sell to you direct, and I don't know if the will, you can buy brick from colonial cheaper than any other brick anywhere. I am not sure they will sell direct, because you live in a county where they have a distributor.

Comment

Looks like the pics didn't quite work right. If you try the 'go advanced', go for the paper clip and take it from there it should work provided your pics are not too big.
                                Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Working...
                                X