Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 36" Pompeii Build, West Lafayette, IN

Originally posted by dakzaag View Post
    The stucco is really not that hard. The big thing with stucco is getting it flat. Since you are applying stucco to a dome, the flat part is pretty subjective. I can get a scratch coat of stucco on in less than thirty minutes and that usually includes 2-3 passes over the whole thing.
    I think you will be surprised by how much you like the Igloo look.
    While I'll agree that igloo ovens are lovely - stuccoing an oven requires 3 coats (scratch/brown/final) that need to be put on ~ a day apart. Plus there is the rather nit-picky task of trying to form a half sphere out of wire mesh. So, while each coat doesn't take that long - it still takes 3+ days and at the end of it, you don't have a coating that's even close to waterproof. So you need another coat of some specialty product for that.

All of that makes sense an igloo shape is your final goal. I just wouldn't look at it as any sort of stop gap.

One other thing I will note is that in my time on the forum - I think just about every post of someone complaining about a wet oven has been an igloo. Doing it right is tough!

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f16/wet-oven-19807.html
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f16/wet-oven-16047.html
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Question for those who have been in similar situations:

Once this oven is complete, I will have a young (8 year old) Maple tree about 6-8' from the back of my oven pad.

The tree is of decent height (15') and provides the patio (faces West) a bit of shade from the afternoon/evening sun. I'm worried about roots near the surface of the ground, possibly causing issues with my oven.

3 possibilities:
      1 - Remove the Tree
      2 - Go on with the tree as is, keep an eye on the roots and take it down if necessary (Could be too late by that time)
      3 - Keep the tree trimmed so as to keep the root growth to a minimum.

Can you see any problems with this tree's roots? I'd like to keep it, but will take it down should there be chance of any issues.

I don't even know if #3 is an option (I will talk to a local greenhouse and possibly a Purdue Horticulturist about this).

thanks!
      "Half of the lies the tell about me aren't true!"

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Stop and think about that tree as a 30-40 footer for a minute. At that point the oven is right under the tree. You risk a limb coming down on the oven, air currents causing smoke to spill all over the patio, and roots that tip the oven. In the fall you are surrounded by dry leaves and then you might be worried about firing up the oven.

You could make a plan to replace the tree. Lets face it the world needs more trees, not less. Plant new trees now in a plan that makes sense for your yard. The Arbor foundation will give you 10 trees for joining the organization. (bare root little twigs, but for 10$ you get 10 trees)

Ten years from now when the little guys have started to show some growth, take out the nearby tree and breath easier.
        The cost of living continues to skyrocket, and yet it remains a popular choice.

Comment

Cubslover,

Now is the perfect time to find out just how much frost your likely to get in the back yard. Dig down at the oven location and see what if any the frost depth is now.
          I was told there is 2' frost out in the fields today. Probably not that much under sod, but it might be good to know what your enemy has the ability to do. We won't have many years as cold as this one, so you have an idea what the worst case scenario is.

You can drive a rod or fence post down through the frost to determine the depth, or just dig a hole and see how it is right next to your existing pad. If you have frost right up against the existing pad, you might want to know just how deep it is.

Comment

Good idea. Although I may not have time at the moment with projects at work.

Looking into a tree transplant service for this maple. Decent bit of shade I'll lose. If'n it isn't too expensive.

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

You won't regret saving a tree later. No idea what it costs.

If you take a shovel out to the edge of the existing slab and dig down, you will know really quick how much frost is there. Might not be much if snow piled there and lots of sod. Frost will take all week to come out even with the warm temps so even Sat. will still tell you something.

Comment

I did a bit of measuring and layout and this tree is going to be 2' behind the oven, too close. I think I will take down the tree and plant a few to replace it (We planted a few HoneyCrisp apples last spring) further back in the yard around my daughter's playhouse/playset.

I'll try take some pictures this week when the ground dries up a bit.

I'll also try to get an idea of the frost thickness.

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Took the tree down today. Just could not risk it. I checkedthe depth of some roots, less than 2" deep about 3' from my patio. It was destined to mess things up.

10" diameter. About the biggest I'd ever want to tear out.
                  Last edited by Cubslover; 03-19-2015, 05:15 AM.

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Picked up more materials today.

Rebar
                    4 - 1/2" x 20'
                    3 - 3/8" x 20'
                    More block, 8x8 half
                    2x10s for framing.

Spent a bit of time getting the frame squared up and properly set to the patio.
                    Painted the ground and will start the dig tomorrow. It's supposed to be 71 here and I have a few days of vacay to burn, perfect opportunity.

A friend is planning on bringing his bobcat in a couple weeks, but I can't wait that long!
                    Last edited by Cubslover; 03-19-2015, 05:15 AM.

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Well, I guess you've got some wood for your first fires!
                      My build progress
                      My WFO Journal on Facebook
                      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I think it'd only be right to christen it by burning the wood of the tree that gave itself up.

Plan may change a bit, trying to figure out the best wel to lop off the existing patio corner and bring the structure closer to the patio.

I think a pass with a masonry blade on my circular saw and a couple smacks with a sledgehammer might do the trick.

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

I will be working in W. Laf. this week, I got a demo saw you can use if needed.
                          Dave

Comment

Wow, really? That would be amazing! As is now, I don't have an option outside of a rental saw. I will give you a ring tomorrow. If you're in for a few brews, name your favorite and I'll have em cold.

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Wow. Great day. It was 70 degrees so I took the day off to get going.

An enormous shout out to dakzaag. He offered to help cut a corner of my patio as I mentioned earlier. He came out today, cut the piece and would not accept anything for payment. I believe in karma and paying it forward. I hope he gets his 10 fold. Super nice guy, it was a pleasure to meet you sir.

As an update, we've cut out a significant portion of the existing patio to pull the oven structure closer to the patio space. Using an edger/trencher, I cut the sod into squares and cut them out. I've dug down about 9" and will need to clear out a couple more before bringing in the base stone.

Once again, I want to thank Dave. I've only been a member here for a month and a half and the support and help I've alteady received has been amazing. What a great forum to me a member of!
                              Last edited by Cubslover; 03-19-2015, 05:14 AM.

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Finished the dig, leveled my frame and brought in pea gravel. I still need to add a ripped board across the front. Pad will sit about 2" above the existing patio.

Rebar will go on tonight. Planning on 4 rings. 4", 8", 16", 24" inside of the perimeter, along with remesh. More is better right?

I do have a question, maybe someone can help:

Hoping to pour Saturday, but it is supposed to get down to 30 degrees Saturday night. Anyone have any issues pouring standard Quikrete at 60 degrees if it's going to cool down to 30? I can cover with blankets, a tarp (Keep wind off) and add a warming blanket as well, if needed.

OR>...Maybe I should wait a couple weeks? (I have a hard time waiting!!)

Here is the forecast:

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/47906:4:US

Also, as a design update, I've decided to scratch the 12" landing as the original drawings show. A flush opening is now in the plans.
                                Last edited by Cubslover; 03-19-2015, 05:39 AM.

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Working...
                                X