36" Pompeii Build, West Lafayette, IN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 36" Pompeii Build, West Lafayette, IN

Throw a blanket or tarp on it, it will be fine. If we get some low 20's you might have to be more aggressive, but so far it looks like we are in the clear.
    The cost of living continues to skyrocket, and yet it remains a popular choice.

Comment

Just what I wanted to hear! I tried to order from Purdy just now, but they won't have a truck available until next weekend. IMI was going to hit me at $400 for the 1 yard delivered.

Looking like it's going to be bags then...
      "Half of the lies the tell about me aren't true!"

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Small jobs are a pain. I would love to get a small mixer that could handle about a yard at a time.

Some parts of the country have little tow able carts that can haul a yard, you get to the site and dump it. They look really cool.

Sorry I can't help you out on this one, my spare mixer is waiting for me to get a new motor on it.

Comment

No worries, you've done more that I could ask for! I'm weighing wheelbarrow vs 6cu ft mixer right now. These mixers can only handle a couple bags at a time. If I can line up a couple more wheelbarrows, we'd be golden.

Plastic is down, rebar ready.

Need to cut and install the rubber expansion joint. What's the best way to keep this in place? A little liquid nails?
          Last edited by Cubslover; 03-19-2015, 04:48 PM.

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Your first wheel barrow or whatever goes up against the expansion material to hold it in place, then off you go. Get some friends around if your going to mix by hand.

Comment

Tomorrow is my birthday, we are having friends and family over. I'll be firing up the smoker that morning and once they get here, we will pour.

I'm thinking 2 wheelbarrows and keeping a decent pace. There should be 5-6 able bodied guys here.

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Well, I decided to pony up the money to save my back and the backs of my friends.

Having the concrete (bags) delivered in the morning and rented a tow-behind 9 cu ft. Mixer for the weekend.

Pour happens at noon tomorrow.

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Good call.

Mixing a large pour in a 1 to 2 bag mixer gets old fairly quickly.

David

Comment

Pad is done. Took a couple batches in the mixer to get the hang of it.

My daughter put her handprint in it of course.

In the pic, left to right, my brother, dad, buddy.

I'm in the Orioles Hat helping my daughter.
                    Last edited by Cubslover; 03-22-2015, 06:07 PM.

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Temps got down to 30 last night. 45 and sunny today, kept the pad surface damp and under plastic for the last 24hrs. Wintry weather coming in tomorrow. Pad now has plastic down, a cotton backed plastic blanket, 5 or so inches of straw (tall grasses I cut down around the property), a wool blanket, tarps, and finally a large plastic sheet over it. All protected from the wind (pretty stiff at times).

Low temps are expected to be 25-30 for the next couple evenings. Will this suffice? Do I need to clear off the layers during the day? Should I have allowed the surface to dry before all the insulation? 39 as a high tomorrow.

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

The tarps and insulation that have you installed can provide protection for colder weather than is in your forcast. The curing of the concrete will be generating some heat for the next few days, also. She will be just fine .

Leave every thing in place for the next week. The slab is not a tomatoe plant. You don't have to uncover it, if it warms up during the day time. Your concern for the moment is keeping the concrete moist for the cure and protection from freeze damage. Drying, can come later.

I hope this helps.
                        Last edited by Gulf; 03-22-2015, 05:49 PM.
                        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Great, thanks. It's pretty tightly sealed. I will try to mist a bit of water underneath the bottom plastic layer every 12 hours or so for the next 4-5 days.

On a side not, I just scored 2 rolls of Unitherm CF insulation for $150 with shipping.
                          Retailmenot had a coupon (wife was proud of me!)

UNITHERM Ceramic Insulation, 24 In W, 25 ft. CF8-1-24X25 - G8489634 at Zoro

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

As long as it stays covered, misting is no necessary imo. That is about what I paid for my cf blanket. A couple of years ago..................and, I drove 80 miles to pick it up!
                            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

That should be enough blanket to do 3 layers on your dome with a few feet to spare for the door insulation.

David

Comment

Highs in the mid thirties today. I'll be pulling off the blankets and straw and dry setting block. Filling them with concrete Monday.

Is it beneficial to frame up the hearth and pour the hearth and block cores all in one? I plan on bringing rebar from the cores up and bending them into the hearth slab either way.
                                Last edited by Cubslover; 03-28-2015, 06:21 AM.

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Working...
                                X