36" Pompeii Build, West Lafayette, IN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 36" Pompeii Build, West Lafayette, IN

One pour is fine. Don't let the odd size block throw you off, some times they need an attitude adjustment.
    The cost of living continues to skyrocket, and yet it remains a popular choice.

Comment

Originally posted by dakzaag View Post
      One pour is fine. Don't let the odd size block throw you off, some times they need an attitude adjustment.
      I guess my question was, is it MORE beneficial to pour all in one? It's more prep work and for this, I'll just be using a wheelbarrow for mixing. Maybe, givin efficiency of the hand mix, I should just pour cores this weekend and frame up the hearth for pouring next weekend.

My stand will be 64x80, requiring only 8x8x16 and 8x8x8 block. Hopefully it won't require anything special...
      "Half of the lies the tell about me aren't true!"

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Originally posted by Cubslover View Post
        I guess my question was, is it MORE beneficial to pour all in one? It's more prep work and for this, I'll just be using a wheelbarrow for mixing. Maybe, givin efficiency of the hand mix, I should just pour cores this weekend and frame up the hearth for pouring next weekend.

My stand will be 64x80, requiring only 8x8x16 and 8x8x8 block. Hopefully it won't require anything special...
        It can be done either way. Neither way will effect your stand or hearth strength. Since you are mixing by hand, I would definately break it up in to two separate pours. I poured all of my cores, though.

Here is a tip for filling those cores. Over the course of my build, I made a couple of home made scoops. The flexible plastic forms easily to the openings for filling without spilling. It also forms to the bottom contours of the wheel barrow, to quickly scoop the last of the concete out. It also worked great for mixing and placing vecrete.

Click image for larger version

Name:	014 (2).JPG
Views:	2
Size:	1,007.8 KB
ID:	307823

I did not want the bent rebar in the way of forming the hearth. So, I bent and tied the rebar later.

Click image for larger version

Name:	648.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	307824
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Good info. Those scoops are a great idea! Thanks.

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Brother in law is here for the weekend, block is set. I have one more day of vacation to burn up so I'm using it Monday. I'll be filling the cores then if tomorrow's forecast turns out to be right.

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Cores have been poured. I poured every-other one and a couple blocks had a bit of a wobble to them, so I poured their other core.

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Nice job getting it done before the rain. Hope it is covered now. Next week looks like a good week to get stuff done.

Comment

I didn't cover it. It hasn't rained but for a couple minutes here. Do you think it is necessary?i was afraid that, with the wind, the rebar would tear some holes in my tarp.

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Do you have any plastic on hand? Or run to menards quick and get a small roll. let the rebar poke through and that will keep it in place. I don't know how much rain we are going to get, but it could wash out between the block if it really comes down. 10 bucks will save a days labor plus the mess plus buying the material again. Cheap insurance.

Comment

Keep the plastic around, even with holes in it, you will be using it to cover something up before this is done.

Comment

Ok. I do have plastic around. I will do this now. Good call, better safe than sorry.
                        Last edited by Cubslover; 03-29-2015, 12:33 PM.

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

We cover every night, just in case.

I have heard the weatherman can be wrong sometimes...

Comment

He is wrong quite a bit, remember Wednesday?

Lazily watching the Duke/Gonzaga game, vegging on the couch. I decided to let Home Depot do the work for me today. Ordered the last of my concrete, Durock, Lumber, and rebar for me to pick up in the morning.

I plan to have to hearth form ready and rebar ready tomorrow. I have Friday off as well, I believe I will pour the hearth then, if I can wait that long!

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

I believe I'm going to go the way of Homebrew.

Is this the proper lime to purchase? It just happens to be local...

Type S Hydrated Mason's Lime

thanks!

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

It will work, I use something different, but only because I stock it for restoration work. For the purpose of an oven that will do fine.
                                I was hoping you would get enamored by the refractory mortar they carry in there. I have no idea what it is, but at $50 per bag, I am going to let someone else experiment and learn the hard way.

Comment

Working...
                                X