36" Pompeii Build, West Lafayette, IN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 36" Pompeii Build, West Lafayette, IN

I agree that both ways will work. But, I would go with option 2. Set all four corners. level the plate line, and custom cut each stud. There won't be but a hand full of studs between each corner on the sides and back. The front will be mostly custom cuts, anyway .

Edit: Dakzaag brings up another good point. The sooner that you drill the holes for those tapcons, the easier it will be.
    Last edited by Gulf; 04-02-2015, 05:04 AM.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks fellas! What size metal studs are recommended for stone veneer? I could grab them now and lay out so I can drill ahead of time. Is 3 5/8" x 18ga too much or too little? Other options are 16ga. and 20ga.
      "Half of the lies the tell about me aren't true!"

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

20 ga is probably enough and easier to cut. you can lower your spacing if you think you need more strength Those thicker ga are hard to cut and get the screws to penetrate-just harder to work.

Texman
        Texman Kitchen
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Last time I used metal studs was 15 years ago and I went with the light gauge. Medium should be fine, not a bunch of stress going on here. Maybe someone else who works with the stuff can chime in.
          The cost of living continues to skyrocket, and yet it remains a popular choice.

Comment

Thanks guys, the wife is starting to like the stucco igloo look now so I may not drill until I know for sure that we will be building the "house".

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Originally posted by Cubslover View Post
              Thanks guys, the wife is starting to like the stucco igloo look now so I may not drill until I know for sure that we will be building the "house".
              Sounds like you might now be contemplating an Option 3.
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

swmbo rules still.
                Texman Kitchen
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Ok, we are proceeding on with the "House" gabled or squared, I don't know yet, but this means I'm also moving on with the rectangular pour for my insulating layer.

I pulled my top form off today and it is apparent I didn't do a very good job of working the edges and getting air bubbles out. Pretty upsetting, but I know it will be finished over when it's all said and done. Can I trowel some mortar over the edges to clean them up a bit and fill the pockets?

Dave, Lafayette Masonry hooked me up with two big bags of perlite. It's supposed to get below freezing tonight so I will pour tomorrow.

As far as the insulation layer, will 3 1/2" suffice or should I frame up a bit to 5"?

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

You might need more perilite before its done. Never too much insulation, but how is your floor height coming out?
                    You can fill the honeycomb with portland/water slurry. If the holes are big, add some sand. Since it gets covered up, really no big deal.

Comment

I have the two bags from Amazon that turned out to be a bad deal. I'll open them if needed.

Height is at 36" now. 3.5" insulation puts it at 39.5+2.5" for the brick=42 as the cooking floor height.

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

What is your elbow height?

Comment

My elbows are at 44"

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

It is official, and I have suspected this for some time...

You're a knuckle dragging neanderthal.

You should be fine at that height.

Comment

Originally posted by dakzaag View Post
                              It is official, and I have suspected this for some time...

You're a knuckle dragging neanderthal.

You should be fine at that height.

Haha. Thanks (?).

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Well, the perlcrete is easy to mix and easy to work with, BUT...

The stuff I got from the masonry place was very fine, it was a breeze to work with. I just didn't have enough. I had to use the crap I bought from Amazon for a terrible deal (which was also extremely coarse) AND everything the local Menards had. By the time the wife got back with more, the front had begun setting up and I had a very hard time feathering them in. The screed board was of no help after a short period of time with this thicker mix. I had to float and level by hand.

I just put a 48" level on it 4 places each way and it's level, remarkably.

Next time will be CF board for sure.

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Working...
                                X