Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Siporex as insulation?

Hi guys,
    Has anyone heard of using Siporex as insulation under the oven floor? I am an English speaker in a French/German speaking country so finding it difficult to find some materials.

On a French forum I saw oven builders (pizza and bread ovens) use a product called Siporex, which appears to be an insulating concrete with air pockets.

What I can find out about the product is below. How would this compare/perform when compared to Calsil board?
    "Thermal Conductivity: The thermal conductivity (?k? value) for completely dry Siporex of density 550kg/m3 is 0.144 W/m?C. The air bubbles trapped in Siporex are giving10 times better insulation properties compared with conventional dense concrete. This is reflected in considerable savings of electricity consumption and improved indoor comfort."

Re: Siporex as insulation?

Originally posted by Mullins View Post
    Hi guys,
    Has anyone heard of using Siporex as insulation under the oven floor? I am an English speaker in a French/German speaking country so finding it difficult to find some materials.

On a French forum I saw oven builders (pizza and bread ovens) use a product called Siporex, which appears to be an insulating concrete with air pockets.

What I can find out about the product is below. How would this compare/perform when compared to Calsil board?
    "Thermal Conductivity: The thermal conductivity (?k? value) for completely dry Siporex of density 550kg/m3 is 0.144 W/m?C. The air bubbles trapped in Siporex are giving10 times better insulation properties compared with conventional dense concrete. This is reflected in considerable savings of electricity consumption and improved indoor comfort."
    "10 times better insulation properties Compared with conventional dense concrete", has no merits as a thermal insulator! You can not compare them in your oven building, they have nothing in common!

Comment

You can compare the thermal conductivity of the two materials here

Calcium Silicate Insulation
      It shows Cal sil is around twice as good.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
        You can compare the thermal conductivity of the two materials here

Calcium Silicate Insulation
        It shows Cal sil is around twice as good.
        Thanks Daviid,

Can you explain it to me? the lower the K value the better the insulator is?
        From what I have seen also the CalSil can get compressed from the weight of the oven on top of it. Is vermicrete the best option to have a hard/solid under floor insulator?

Mullins

Comment

Originally posted by Mullins View Post
          Thanks Daviid,

Can you explain it to me? the lower the K value the better the insulator is?
          From what I have seen also the CalSil can get compressed from the weight of the oven on top of it. Is vermicrete the best option to have a hard/solid under floor insulator?

Mullins
          Correct, lower k value= better insulator.T cal sil will not compress because the load is spread. Same applies with 5:1 vermicrete.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
          X