42" Idaho spud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42" Idaho spud

Like many people on here, I have been lurking for some time all the while scheming about building my own WFO. Last summer I was able to pour the pad and then an unfortunate ankle injury took me out of commission. Well, it's spring and the ankle is mostly better so I thought I'd give it a go. This is my first attempt at posting photos so I'll have to see how it works out.

Here's the pad and the first course lay out of the CMUs:

Next I framed up the lintels and incorporated 4 pieces of rebar. The pic only shows 2 but the other 2 hold some vertical pieces that you'll see in the third pic:

Here's the front lintel with the forms removed:
    Last edited by sharptailhunter; 04-09-2015, 08:23 PM.

Re: 42" Idaho spud

Hey! it looks like the pics showed up. Not sure if people like the embedded format or the thumbnail approach. Not sure I know how to do thumbnails anyway.

I know some may have noticed that I have 2 lintels. That's because I want a storage area in the back for the fire pit I made last summer that's in the background. It will hold all the trashy wood that we burn just for fun. The front compartment will hold the nicer hardwoods for the oven.

Also, I'm sure some will point out the vinyl fence to the left of my oven stand. I checked with the local fire dept. After a huge run around and no clear answer, the fire marshal said that he's heard of people putting these things inside their homes so proceed at my own risk. We haven't had a single issue with the fires from the fire pit. Nonetheless, if I get too concerned about it, I can build some sort of non combustible fence as the fence is entirely on my property.

I'm looking forward to building this and I hope to garner the insight and help from so many a great craftsman on here. Was hoping to get the hearth slab poured this weekend but looks like high winds and rains are in store and I'd rather not risk it. Oh, incidentally, I failed to mention that the lintels were also poured using Quickrete High Strength (5k psi) concrete. I've used it before with good results and plan to use it for the hearth. All that being said, I really don't have any brick experience and will essentially be making this up as I go and hopefully learning a few things while I'm at it.

Thanks, Alex

Comment

Looking good, Alex! As you know, there are lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks on here that are more than willing to help you if and when you need it. Best of luck to you. You'll do fine.
      My Build:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Welcome, and great start, Alex.

A great many builders here never laid a brick a before and ended up with beautiful, top-performing ovens. It will help if you plan your oven out first, especially the entryway and flue gallery, as this will define your insulation and brick footprint. Easier to fix on paper than otherwise, I say.

And there is no penalty for borrowing any and all good ideas you find in others' builds here. Lean towards over-insulating and post lotsa pics.

John

Comment

Hey NC and John, thanks for the replies and assurance. Of all the builds to steal ideas from, yours -John - ranks supreme!

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
          Lean towards over-insulating and post lotsa pics
          I plan on at least 3" of insublock 19 under the floor, more likely I'll do 4". The dome will have ceramic blanket and loose vermiculite all inside a framed enclosure. That should be sufficient, yes/no?
          Last edited by sharptailhunter; 03-27-2015, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Sounds good to me, Alex. Of course I live in sunny SoCAl where it never gets below 34F, but a lot of builders in the midwest (MN, MI, WI etc) have reported great results from exactly what you plan. I have read reports from outsiders who feel our ovens are grossly over-insulated, and they very well may be. But you can't argue with your plan to enclose and fill the void with.... more insulation.

You may be happier with 4" of floor insulation than 3", JMO.

John

Comment

Not sure if there is such a thing as an 'over insulated oven'. One of the things where more is better.
              Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Anything worth doing is worth over doing. At least that is my thought.

Randy

Comment

Congrats on finally getting started! I can only echo what the others have already said. The insulation will protect it just fine and the fence is fine where it stands. The problem I experienced from the city was set back lines because of the size of my structure but if you don't have that issue or they will never know about it... then go for it.

We are definitely willing to help however we can with any of your questions.

Can't wait to see how your build progresses.
                  Loren

My Build - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...ney-19648.html

SLOB - Salt Lake Oven Builders - For WFO builders in Utah - Join here http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/grou...-builders.html

Comment

Got to work some more on the stand. Will pour the concrete tomorrow. Here is some of the framing.

Here is the rebar installed.

I'm pouring the structural hearth and the decorative concrete at the same time so I had to make this:

The stop sign looking form is to allow a void for 4" of Insublok19 that I will build the oven proper on. It will sit level with the top of the perimeter forms and will be centered in the middle of the stand, more or less. Not sure if any of that makes sense... I'll post some pics of the concrete after the pour tomorrow. I know, how bout some time-lapse photography of the concrete curing?! Doesn't get more exciting than that! ;-)

Comment

Phew! That was a lot of work. 35 80# bags of concrete loaded into the trailer, take home, unload into wheel barrow, take to backyard. When I saw the stack of bags, sorry no photo, I thought, "There is no way I'm going to use all this." Sho 'nuff, I did. It went rather swell. The weather was beautiful today!

Here's placing the octagon form thing-a-ma-bob on top of 4" of wet concrete that constitutes the structural hearth. Checking for level.

Once I got it level, I employed the "Stay put 5000" devices, aka rocks, to help hold it in place while I filled in around it with what will be the decorative hearth/counter top/trim concrete.

Here's the what the slab looks like after all 2,800 pounds of concrete were placed where they were supposed to go.

The plan now is to keep misting the surface reguraly and leave the forms in place for a good 5-7 days. My neighbor two doors down is a refractory dealer so I'm gonna place my order for the Insublock19, fire brick, ceramic blanket, and fire clay through him. Just wanted to clarify, most people recommend using medium-duty fire brick, right??

Thanks, Alex
                      Last edited by sharptailhunter; 04-11-2015, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Low duty is preferred.
                        My Build:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Did you put any release on the form boards?
                          Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                          John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                            Did you put any release on the form boards?
                            Yeah. I couldn't find any commercial stuff so I sprayed em with silicone and let it absorb into the wood and fully dry before pouring. Hope that works :-/

Comment

After you remove your form work it would be a good idea to drill some drain holes in the bottom of that basin to help moisture escape from the porous floor insulation. It is probably too late now, but it is also helpful to slope your concrete slightly away from the basin so water is less inclined to enter it. (This is more important if you are building an igloo than if you are doing a dog kennel.
                              Last edited by david s; 04-11-2015, 08:37 AM.
                              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                              X