Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 36" oven

Hi
    I have been working on this for a while, I am up to the 6th chain but have not had time to post so I thought I would start with some area prep pictures for those who might be interested. The first picture is an area as it it looked when I bought this property . The second is a view from above looking down. I removed much of the concrete and opened up the area. the third picture is after the demo and when I first poured a slab to build on. I will post more pictures tomorrow
    Bill

Re: My 36" oven

Welcome Bill - looks like you are off and running. The site looks like a good spot for an oven. Have you decided what style of oven you are going to put there?

Look forward to following your build.
    Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

welcome!

looking forward to your pics since you are on the 6th chain already.

Texman
      Texman Kitchen
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Hi all
        The first picture here shows the insulating concrete diameter and some more of the demo I did in this area, that wall behind the oven location is a retaining wall I could not go back any further my property is terraced as it goes up to the ridge line, To the left if you can see are some steps, that is an easement thru my property that is also the start of an eight mile hiking trail that follows the ridge-line. I also poured those two slabs on top of the retaining wall that comes forward from the oven slab to have some prep space and seating. In the second picture I have finished the back of the retaining wall and below the slab and added some faux rocks my inspector looks pleased. The third picture I have added two inches of calsil board on top of the vermiculite concrete I wanted this part to be elevated as much as possible so in the end I will not have exposure to rain as we get allot here. I am using 2" 12x18" hearth bricks which I had waterjet cut.

Comment

One more picture of the progress at this point, I have replaced the old plywood fence with ceder planks, To The right of the staircase and I will get a better picture I removed that column that was in a previous picture that column hid a rainwater connection that diverted water from the roof and back of the property from the right to the left below the floor you can see the grating at the botton step. I opened it up and made it a waterfall so when it rains the water fall down and into a catch basin and continues on it's way. It's pretty nice to sit out there when it's raining. I hope I explained it well It's hard with out a good picture.
          Bill

Comment

Hi Steve
            I am going to stucco, I think that would look best in this setting
            Bill

Comment

Great start, Bill! What a wonderful resource you will have when you're finished! Your oven will be perfect for making kahlua pork and lau lau.

Keep the pics coming.

John

Comment

Thanks John
                That pork would have to be cooked first underground, but your right it will be a great resource this is my second oven, built the first many years ago.

Bill

Comment

Hi
                  The first picture is an expanded view of the area, it shows what I was referring to in my last post about the waterfall, you can see the roof line when it rains the water flows behind the house and is channeled into that vertical drop then under the floor. there is also a pond I made higher up, you can see a little of it, when done it will also have a waterfall but end before the bottom. The next picture is the sixth chain, sorry no in between pictures was working on this after work and always seemed to get dark when I finished. The next picture is from the roof looking down you can see at the top of the retaining wall I rebuilt I added a small area to grow herbs should be nice when cooking. As I finished the sixth chain I saw I was going to start that tear drop shape that I have read about, either the IT pivot being elevated or not locating my arch properly any way I corrected it by cutting those small wedge bricks over the arch to finish the sixth chain now I am perfectly round, the seventh chain when in with no problems as you can see in the last picture my inspector and her kitty say it looks good
                  thanks for your interest
                  Bill

Comment

Looks like a great setting Bill. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
                    "Half of the lies the tell about me aren't true!"

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Hi
                      My weekend progress getting closer to closing it up
                      Bill

Comment

Hi
                        I am getting to the point were I am going to do a good cleaning of the brick inside the oven, I was wondering what others have done for cleaning mortar residue from the brick I wiped them down as I was building but some days it was too dark to do a good job. I know this home brew mortar is not as tenacious as regular mortar. any tricks out there.
                        Bill

Comment

If it is just a film "residual", it will release after a good burn out. But, worry about that later, after a good curing and drying .
                          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

A couple of questions, I am getting ready to start my entry arch and chimney and was wondering about mortar transitions since the chimney and outer arches are exposed to the weather and also heat is the homebrew mix good for exposed joints or is a traditional mortar a better choice. MY other question is cutting tapered bricks, I would like a slightly tapered brick for the arch and have a 10" wet saw at my shop but with 4-1/2" bricks I can't make the full angle cut any good posts about jigs that can be made for doing this
                            Thanks Bill

Comment

Hi
                              Have closed the dome and I am ready to start the entry arch, I have ask this in a former post, Is the homebrew mortar good for the exterior arch or can or should I use regular mortar. This part will be exposed the weather.
                              Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X