Begining dome construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Begining dome construction

You got it! I'll have to grind about a millimeter off the inside of the cast so that the plate will slide right in. My mold was right at 8 inches. If i was smart I would have wrapped tape around the edge until the OD was large enough for the plate.
    Oven Progress
    Bread Photos
    Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Smart enough? Smart enough to come up with a great idea.
      An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Great work.

I have do to something like this.

I may have to ask you some questions down the road.

Let me know how well it draws, my bad WOFO.. not so good yet.
        i.e. Black outside vent.

Dave
        My thread:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
        My costs:
        http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
        My pics:
        http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
          Smart enough? Smart enough to come up with a great idea.
          Yea, hopefully someone else will learn from my hindsight!

Dave

No problem at all. Ask away!
          Oven Progress
          Bread Photos
          Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Well after a 5 month hiatus I'm back on the oven. I probably added a couple courses over the past two weeks. The bad part is I got a bit off course and now each course doesn't line up when you try to connect them after the vent (vent transition is terrible too). So I'm going to try two methods...1) cast the rest of the dome cap with refractory castable and see if a well regulated curing schedule of oven fires will not cause any problems, and 2) make quite a few specially cut bricks to get back on course, and then finish that way. I opted for choice #1, b/c if it works then thats great, and if not then its really not that much wasted work. I had planned on casting the very top of the dome anyway, but I would have been able to cure it in my kitchen oven. The size of the cap now is just too big to fit, so we'll see how this goes...
            Oven Progress
            Bread Photos
            Oven Stand Thread

Comment

I think you can still line up the rows...in the worst case you may need to remove part of the last row and re-allign everything... just more few cuts, that's what I would do. Not sure if casting cement will hold it as it is so big.
              And by the way, whatever you decide sleep on it for a while...
              Ciao Carlo

Cost spreadsheet updated 4/22/08

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

Rlf5,
                forgot to ask you in my previous post...what are you using to align the bricks in terms of distance from the center and tilting? Most of us used a kind of home made compass...are you?
                Ciao Carlo

Cost spreadsheet updated 4/22/08

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

I was using one, and then stopped (real smart, huh?). I got a bit off on the angle for the bricks on the left side, and then tried to correct for it on the next course. Seems the correction is actually the source of my woes! Anyway, unfortunately I already started casting the oven cap. I pondered on it for about a week when it was raining here. Its actually not that big of a piece...just too big to fit into my kitchen oven. Its also reinforced with steel needles so I doubt it would fall apart. The only thing I'm worried about are cracks that would form from single side conduction heating during the curing. I was just really tired of cutting bricks, and the break from doing it didn't make things better. Laying them is actually fun...cutting sucks for me...and specialized cutting sucks even more. If the cast doesn't work I'll be cutting anyway! LOL
                  Oven Progress
                  Bread Photos
                  Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Well the pour went rather well, and came out better than expected. I let it set for about 5 days (highs in the mid 90's here) and then started doing the curing fires. I would use a few pieces of newspaper only. The paper of course burned rather quickly and the oven temperature would be back down in a few hrs, so I did about 3-4 newspaper fires over the course of two days. No problems. Then I switched it up to newspaper and small twigs (between 1/8" up to 3/4" thickness.) That fire of course burned hotter and a bit longer. I kept that fire going for about an hour or so by adding to it so that I could keep a more or less constant temperature in the oven. I found that the newspaper fires would get the dome up to about 120F and the kindling fire up to around 200. I did one last kindling fire yesterday evening for about 2 hrs, which got the dome up to 225F. That last fire actually manifested a few cracks in the thin clad of mortar I applied. I imagine they are in the joints as well, but of course I can't see it. Oddly enough, there were no cracks at all in the cast dome cap. It seems to be curing nicely so far. This morning the dome temperature was down to 95F and the cracks had settled down to just hairline fractures. I'll most likely do one or two more kindling fires before moving up to logs.
                    Oven Progress
                    Bread Photos
                    Oven Stand Thread

Comment

The bottom form removed and first fire.
                      Oven Progress
                      Bread Photos
                      Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Thermocouples installed and second fire. The termocouples on the right and left only go 50% through the floor bricks. The one in the center sits flush with the oven floor. There's also one that goes into the dome and is about 1/4 inch from the inside oven wall.
                        Oven Progress
                        Bread Photos
                        Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Pictures of the crack propagation.
                          Oven Progress
                          Bread Photos
                          Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Originally posted by rlf5 View Post
                            Pictures of the crack propagation.
                            Don't worry...if it is masonry it will crack...early in the curing there is still quite a bit of moisture in the mortar and the steam has a way of creating them...they will stabilize over time...you did a very good job on your oven...continue a nice cure and soon you'll be enjoying the fruits of those labors...I have a brother in Houston, well Katy actually...if I ever go visit him maybe we can meet up
                            Best
                            Dutch
                            "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                            "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Thanks! Feel free to look me up if you're ever around.

I did another fire yesterday with my first log. The floor bricks got to about 200F and the oven dome topped out at 250, if I remember correctly. The dome was back down to 100F this morning (normal day temp here). I'll try to hit 300F on the dome this afternoon...don't want to bring the temp up too much too fast.
                              Oven Progress
                              Bread Photos
                              Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Would it be better if you could build an oven with no mortar. If you could make it stand up! I know its probably not possible, but if you could.....
                                I actually tried dry assembling my geodesic oven on the workshop floor. If it were a full dome it might be stable enough to do that, but that big hole in the side sets up a lot of stresses in the structure. I think mortar is a must.
                                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
                                X