• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asudavew
    replied
    Re: Dave's Pics of Progress

Originally posted by Les View Post
    I think we have all bled a little on our project... but you're getting busted up pretty bad

Les...
    Yeah, hopefully that will be the last of my blood.

It sure is hard work building an oven. When I first began looking at pictures, I knew it would be a difficult project, but I didn't think it would be as physically demanding as it is! But I know the real truth now, as I am sure you and everyone else knows!

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
    and what role did that Cooler in the background play in all this???
    Unfortunately, it has been empty since our last camping adventure!

Leave a comment:

• Kemo
    replied

and what role did that Cooler in the background play in all this???

glad you are ok. a project isnt worthy unless there is some blood sacrifice along the way...

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

I think we have all bled a little on our project... but you're getting busted up pretty bad

Les...

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

My thigh, and my shin.....

OUCH!

My advice - Use your step stool people.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

The fall...........

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Another lesson for everyone. First was the glove lesson, then a back lesson, and now the chair lesson.

I have been using a step ladder to climb onto my hearth.
    My daughter Harley and my wife Deborah will usually stand on a chair to look at the oven and to take pictures.

Well, toward the end of my brick laying that evening, after taking photos, company stopped by. Harley let me know they were at the front door, so in an effort to get off my hearth quickly I stepped on the chair to get down.....

The rest, as they say, is history.

**Although the injuries to myself and the chair are real, the fall is a complete reenactment.**
    Last edited by asudavew; 10-17-2007, 10:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

I didn't get much done on the last course. (further on that soon)

But I tried to capture the steep angle involved. I did have to prop up one brick with a piece of wood.

But the others did pretty well.

Leave a comment:

• Kemo
    replied

looks like thats going to cook some mighty fine pizza! only a few more courses to go huh? It seems the most head scratchin' goes on durning the last few courses

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Here is a series of pics showing the inside of the arch.

Unfortunately, the brick, to the left of center, is really out of place.......

Fortunately, I covered it the next day!

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Here are a couple of shots of inside the dome.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

I forgot to post a couple pics from above.

It shows the dome... a bit out of round, but it's close enough.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
    Dave, are you seeing the light at the end of the tunnel (or the top of your dome)? Kinda cool how with the upper courses it really starts to close in fast.
    Yeah it is really neat. But I keep looking at the dome completed so far and my form... And think to myself, "No Way!" It just doesn't look like it will turn that fast. But so far so good. I meant to take a picture from inside looking up, like Balty's pics. I think that would be neat.

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
    Keep up the good work. It's looking great!
    So far so good. Thanks!

Let me know how that 8th course goes... laying wise.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
    there seems to be a fine line between to stiff and to wet. I try to get it just wet enough to "stick" to bricks that I have soaked.
    I just started laying course 8 this morning. The bricks are just a bit beyond the 45-50 deg. angle, so it's getting fun! I too discovered that mortar consistency is absolutely critical at this point. When it's just right you can give the brick a few taps, hold it in place for a minute and it's good to go.

Dave, are you seeing the light at the end of the tunnel (or the top of your dome)? Kinda cool how with the upper courses it really starts to close in fast.

Keep up the good work. It's looking great!

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by Les View Post
    Dave - how are you supporting the upper courses? Gravity is wanting to take over on 5th to 6th course.

Les...
    Les,

The first few I laid on the last course I had to prop with a stick. I had made the mortar a bit wet. I was much more careful with water for the next batch of mortar, there seems to be a fine line between to stiff and to wet. I try to get it just wet enough to "stick" to bricks that I have soaked. I've found that dry bricks don't work well for me, they just suck the moisture right out of the mortar.
    But when I do get the mixture just right, they seem to hold just fine.
    Tonight should be interesting on the next layer, I bet I will need a bunch of sticks!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X