• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asudavew
    replied
    Re: Dave's Pics of Progress

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
    Hey Dave,
    I have a question. How did you finally attack the problem of adapting your chimney to your vent? Where did you get that metal work I see in the pics?
    Thanks
    George
    Hey George,

I went to Lowe's and bought the flue and the transition. The transition is 4 1/2" by 12" with a 6" hole. The flue is 6 inches.

I had to tuck it into my vent, because it was too small.
    And I had to use pieces of cut brick on each side to hold it in.
    I really designed my vent to be bigger, but I couldn't find a big enough transition. My opening in the arch is approximately 16" by 4.5".
    I don't think I get enough draw. But I am going to add an extra section of chimney to see if it helps. If it does, I'm gonna go with the setup I have. If not.. I will modify, which I may still do anyways.

I will take some pictures for ya, I'm at home for a bit so I'll post them in a few minutes.

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Hey Dave,
    I have a question. How did you finally attack the problem of adapting your chimney to your vent? Where did you get that metal work I see in the pics?
    Thanks
    George

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Oh yeah, trust you to cut your finger on it....

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Nice peel, Dave. Nice family, too. I'll bet you were pleased!

You will be posting a new thread though, won't you? I'm wondering where the insulation posts should go, with the Pompeii threads or the finishing ones?

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Dave,
    Great peel. I have a smaller version that I bought for bread baking. I'll have to find one of those!

Before I tore anything apart, I'd try adding another, cheap single wall chimney section to your existing setup. It should increase the draw. If it works, you can replace it with a more expensive permanent version in the future.

George

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Would the 8" have been a better way? At opening, and the flue as well? The design seems right. I will discuss my own battles on my thread and I look foreward to your response.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
    Dave, that is great. BTW, what's up with the black smoke remnants on the outer entry arch? Curious since it looks like you have the vent right. Was the flue opening 6"? Looks like the flue round is 6".
    Yeah, it's 6". The draw is poor.

I'm gonna figure something out this weekend.
    I need to make the vent and chimney bigger....

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Dave, that is great. BTW, what's up with the black smoke remnants on the outer entry arch? Curious since it looks like you have the vent right. Was the flue opening 6"? Looks like the flue round is 6".

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

It fit perfectly into my oven.

But, oh my, it was sharp.

I think this is a fitting end to my thread, at least pictures.

May God bless all of you, and fire those WFO's!
    Last edited by asudavew; 11-07-2007, 07:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

and what could it be?

A gift of love from my family.

I can't quite find the words... their support their love.. the help.... awesome!

Thanks to my family !

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

I had to open..

It was tough..

Lots of tape and packing material.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

I got home today.

I found a big box outside.

Here is what I found.

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Dave,
    Two Navy tours in Sicily. 5 years total. Best food in the world in my opinion. Worst drivers though - anything goes, especially in Naples.

Try smoked salmon in a cream sauce over pasta. Mmmmmm. (Cooks.com) It would probably be good on pizza, though I've never seen it.

I'm going to wait for about a week for the first fire. It is really damp out here and supposed to rain for the next 5 or so days. I finished that dome just in time. I'm thinking about putting an electric heater in there to dry it out a bit faster.

I put mortar cladding on the back yesterday and noticed that it wicked right through the mortar joints to the inside of the dome at the level of the soldier and first course. There's still a lot of moisture in there.

Steelhead aren't that easy to come by. Somedays you just get lucky.
    G.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by jwnorris View Post
    In addition to the improvements to your firing that insulation brings, as you drive the last bit of remaining moisture out of you oven, the overall performance of the oven just gets better and better. And just because it looks dry, doesn't mean it is.

J W
    Thanks JW.

I look forward to using less wood!

Leave a comment:

• jwnorris
    replied

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
    I agree with Frances. I think the insulation will cut down your firewood consumption too. <snip> George
    In addition to the improvements to your firing that insulation brings, as you drive the last bit of remaining moisture out of you oven, the overall performance of the oven just gets better and better. And just because it looks dry, doesn't mean it is.

J W

Leave a comment:

Working...
X