X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Kemo's South Austin Pizza Oven

Originally posted by Frances View Post
    When's the curing fire due?
    I would like to start a small fire on Tuesday night...really small most likely, I will start after Thanksgiving. I think it makes more sense. im still torn between insulating before or after curing.
    Last edited by Kemo; 11-20-2007, 08:30 AM. Reason: I cant spell worth a damn.
    Steve Kennemer
    Austin, TX

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
      I would like to start a small fire on Tuesday night...really small most likely, I will start after thanks giving. I think it makes more since. im still torn between insulating before or after curing.
      Same here... Small fire tonight and/or tomorrow night, then probably throw the blankets on after turkey.
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Congratulations! Doesn't it feel great when you reach this point? Your dome and vent look great and I like the colour contrast!

By Tuesday, you mean next, right??

Sarah

Comment

To you Kemo, Ken, Dave, Sarah, etc...that have done such an impressive level of sharing with details and photos. I ended up getting hit with a 3 day bug, setting me back. As for all of you at this state (Wow). I believe James should take all your photos of the completed ovens and have those be the December (Christmas) special for voting (Best of Month). There will be a group of us likely finishing in early spring.
          An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Congrats Kemo!

I love it!

Take your time on the curing fires, and start your search for firewood!!
            It seems to take a bunch to drive the moisture out.

If you already have your insulating blanket, then I would throw it on.. If not go for it!

Once again, Congrats! I enjoyed watching your progress.

BTW - Did you have the happy/sad feeling at the end?

DAve
            My thread:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
            My costs:
            http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
            My pics:
            http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Gongrads Kemo! Looks fantastic. Must be very exciting, I can hardly wait.
              I am starting to think though, judging by the insightful posts of this semesters "graduating class" that ovens to be cured this time of year may take a bit longer ( more smaller fires) than ones finished in the drier, sunny months. Everyone seems to be following protocall, but all seem to say the oven is still wet and some have reported cracks. Maybe that happens any time of year - I'm new here so I don't know.
              Keep us posted and enjoy!

dusty

Comment

Nice job Kemo. Nice looking vent arches.

After having read all the discussion as to whether a dome should be insulated for the curing fires to minimize shock to the exterior mortart joints, I'm feeling pretty secure that it isn't really an issue. Both Sarah and I found that the bricks warm very very slowly externally. It takes nearly an hour after the curing fire is started for the heat to transfer out to the external surface of the dome.

I say, go with your gut.

George
                GJBingham
                -----------------------------------
                Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
                  Congrats Kemo!

BTW - Did you have the happy/sad feeling at the end?

DAve
                  thanks Dave,

I cant say that I had a happy sad feeling but I did feel pretty damn good after I got the last stone in place. Like I did when I graduated highschool I will say that I was a bit scared climbing inside the dome once it was closed to fill in the gaps on the inside. SCARRY! I wasnt sure if it was gonna fall or what!
                  Steve Kennemer
                  Austin, TX

Comment

Originally posted by sarah h View Post
                    Congratulations! Doesn't it feel great when you reach this point? Your dome and vent look great and I like the colour contrast!

By Tuesday, you mean next, right??

Sarah
                    I was toying with the idea of lighting a nice fire tonight...but i reconsidered. It will probably be on Friday morning and Ill try to follow protocol untill the following weekend...then its pizza time!

I still have to get the blanket and cover with vermiculite...let me check to see how much room I have left on my Visa
                    Steve Kennemer
                    Austin, TX

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
                      Nice job Kemo. Nice looking vent arches.

After having read all the discussion as to whether a dome should be insulated for the curing fires to minimize shock to the exterior mortart joints, I'm feeling pretty secure that it isn't really an issue. Both Sarah and I found that the bricks warm very very slowly externally. It takes nearly an hour after the curing fire is started for the heat to transfer out to the external surface of the dome.

I say, go with your gut.

George
                      glad to hear this...i dont have a blanket and I have an itchy match finger.

as far as "going with my GUT", here is what happened last night in my regular old "kitchen oven". Im Ironing out a few recipes for when it comes time to do the REAL DEAL in the wood fired oven.

1. Hand tossed dough via cool video i got from US Pizza team homemade, San Marzano Tomato Sauce (thanks dave on the HEB tip)

2. Mozzarella with Pecorino Romano

3. Baby Spinach with Roasted Red Peppers

4. Fresh Basil from a LIVE plant in my backyard

5. The finished product with a drizzle of Olive Oil

Now...note how "uncooked" the middle of the pizza looks. I think the new oven will make this good pizza GREAT. It took 9 minutes in my oven at 500 deg F. I think we can beat that time and beat that taste
                      Steve Kennemer
                      Austin, TX

Comment

After filling my gut with Pizza, I was renewed to the point of mocking up a vent to go on top of my arch and transition to standard chimney hardware. Then I hustled over to a really good friend with whom I help restore really old rusty cars. He just happens to have a really neat cutting torch and a very expensive welding unit. We will have to finish up tonight, but here is the progress.
                        Steve Kennemer
                        Austin, TX

Comment

Originally posted by dusty View Post
                          I am starting to think though, judging by the insightful posts of this semesters "graduating class" that ovens to be cured this time of year may take a bit longer ( more smaller fires) than ones finished in the drier, sunny months.
                          Dusty,

Im hoping that we get some good weather here in Texas over the next week. We are expecting a cold front this week which should drop the temps down to 50's during the day and dip into the high 30's at night. As long as its not raining, I hope to get a few fires rolling. Given that it is a bit colder, maybe i will build the fires up slower. Like make a small fire to start, let it stablize for a while, then build the fire up to the temp of the day. I have accepted the fact that I WILL get cracks. I just want to minimize them.
                          Last edited by Kemo; 11-20-2007, 09:01 AM.
                          Steve Kennemer
                          Austin, TX

Comment

Kemo,
                            That's kind of what I tried to do. Pre-warm the oven prior to hitting it with the big blast. I used an electric heater for an hour or so prior to lighting my fires.
                            I think hardwood is called that because it's hard to find, at least here in the NW. The little I have takes a lot of heat to get it going, so I found it difficult once I lit the kindling, not to go to the big stuff pretty quick. I suppose I could've used the Doug Fir and Cedar that's readily available for the curing fires. Anyway, good luck. No cracks!
                            GJBingham
                            -----------------------------------
                            Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I removed the form on Wednesday of last week and here is what we have
                              Steve Kennemer
                              Austin, TX

Comment

Very nice!

Congrats!

Break out the matches.

Or the venturi burner.

Dave
                                My thread:
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                                My costs:
                                http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                                My pics:
                                http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Working...
                                X