Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Acoma 42" Tuscan

Forget it. 60 hours, no thank you.
    An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

I am playing it safe, 5 bags of Refmix now available for floor, arch, dome and cladding work. Also have blanket insulation on the way. Today, I picked up my second brick batch (144) which were in excellant shape. As planned, I will get the floor bricks in place tomorrow, right after I put my thermocouples in. Just got those delivered yesterday.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Robert,
        I hear ya, I was overuled by a higher power when it came to the tile. MY plan was to use premade tile sheets and fill in where needed to compensate for the dome curviture. The flames around the entry I knew would be tedious, but I expected to fly accross the dome.
        My wife didn't like it when we laid it out, and insisted on a "random" look. I agree with her, it looks much better than my plan. It took three entire weekends plus an hour or two each day during the weekdays.
        I think it looks cool, but I would choose a different route if I had to do it over.

RT

Comment

RTFlorida: Once again, I am in awe!

Robert: Keep uploading those pics. Have fun with the floor!

George
          GJBingham
          -----------------------------------
          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

So Robert, the real fun is about to begin - cool! I'm looking forward to seeing your dome take shape!

Sarah

Comment

Well, today I finished mortaring half the floor down. I will do a photo once the entire floor is down, more entertaining for you all. I had to stop at 2pm today because I do not have my tent until Monday, and I did not want to work in shade with the temp going down quickly. I have a dence painters tarp doubled over the bricks, followed by two layers of thin outside tarp. This for the top, followed by heater below for the hearth is doing great. I do hope to have the oven done tomorrow morning, with a children's b-day going on in the afternoon, I must be swift. Monday through Thursday is intermintant snow and rain showers. Would have been great getting the tent Friday, since now I see set up in unpleasant weather.
              I will continue until done.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

James, I just got the 3 bags of Refmix to go with my other 2. Also, just got the pizza cutter, nice blade! I will test it out tonight with pizza from Papa Murphy's. I want to thank you too for kindly offering these great gifts as a result of our contributions to the forum.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
                  I will test it out tonight with pizza from Papa Murphy's.
                  Gotta Love Papa Murphy. He's come to our family's rescue on many busy nights!
                  Ken H. - Kentucky
                  42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                  Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I also received another shipment for the oven, this time from Jim (JC). I was highly interested in his tool which helped with the method which produced accurate and timely building of the dome. He was very kind to build and ship to me another one. I will taper the pieces for snug fits with each piece, but will utilize the tool for holding each brick up as I prepare for the next. I believe I can double the pace by doing so. Each row of bricks will be cut and sized on a dry run, then I will mortar. I believe this is the best method for cold temperature days. Jim, thank you making the tool and shipping it to me. I will also use the template via the thumbnail to produce a nice looking arch.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

I finished the floor bricks today. Next I plan to sand the surface lightly for a smooth top. Waiting for the tent tomorrow. Area is now covered, storm moving in, and children's party to prepare for.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Your floor looks great - nice job!

Comment

Agreed! Now comes the fun part! Finally going to go upwards.....
                          Hope your weatherr holds out.
                          G.
                          GJBingham
                          -----------------------------------
                          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Well, it took lots of work sanding the floor bricks. I finally have my template for the transition bricks (arch to dome). Next is the template for the flame at the front of the arch. I keep thinking I can do a lot quickly, only to find out that due to the crazy weather and tent around the dome, that I must slow down the process and do each step SLOW and CAREFULLY. I will not be posting a photo until I have my arch started and solder course done. this part may not be done until end of weekend. Sorry. I know that once the dome gets going, I will move quickly, it is so important that the stage I am on right now is done to the best of my ability.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Im looking forward to the pics. Working under the tent wasnt so bad till I got closer to the top...then I had a few issues
                              Steve Kennemer
                              Austin, TX

Comment

Today I finished the solder course and the arch wall row, which is flush with the entry floor. Tommorow I will cut more of the arch wall. The hard part will be the flair I will utilize for the front of the entry. I may not get this part finished since I only have a little time to work on it. Once done I will move on to the first course, hopefully finishing two courses by end of next Sunday. Hopefully. I will get a pic once the arch wall is up.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Working...
                                X