Pompei oven progress from Carlo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting bricks technique

Today I started cutting bricks with my HF wet saw and I noticed that often the last corner of the brick would chip and because I want to use the cutting side to face the internal part of the oven I want them to be clean and clear. So I decided to cut only 1/2 inch the brick and then flip it over and finish the cut, it worked very well and all the bricks came out nice. I put some pictures so you can see.

Click image for larger version

Name:	chip1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	270457 Click image for larger version

Name:	chip2.jpg
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	270458 Click image for larger version

Name:	chip3.jpg
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	270459
    Ciao Carlo

Cost spreadsheet updated 4/22/08

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

Re: Pompei oven progress from Carlo

I mostly used the cut side of the brick towards the interior as well - they were smoother than the original end of most of the bricks. In hindsight, it might be a bad idea. Apparently, the bricks have something of a glaze on the outside that makes the original face of the brick stronger than the newly exposed cut surface. I encourage comments from others on this as this is just derived from my readings.
      GJBingham
      -----------------------------------
      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Carlo, I'm posting this a bit late in the game, but I like the way you wired your hearth supports to the rebar. It seems like a good way to hold the forms in place against the concrete. I'm curious if there are any drawbacks to this, since the wire reaches the outer edge of the hearth, or is this a widely accepted method? And since the "o-ring" screws in the forms are now embedded in concrete, does that make it hard to remove the forms? Anyone?
        Picasa web album
        Oven-building thread

Comment

Originally posted by dbhansen View Post
          Carlo, I'm posting this a bit late in the game, but I like the way you wired your hearth supports to the rebar. It seems like a good way to hold the forms in place against the concrete. I'm curious if there are any drawbacks to this, since the wire reaches the outer edge of the hearth, or is this a widely accepted method? And since the "o-ring" screws in the forms are now embedded in concrete, does that make it hard to remove the forms? Anyone?
          dbhansen,
          the nails were finish nails with no head so the forms came out very easily, I bended them insternally to make the o-ring. The planks were 1x6 so very soft. I needed just to trim the nails with the grinder after I removed the forms...just yesterday. I don't know if this is an accepted methodology, but I think it should also help to keep the slab all together...if not we'll see later
          Carlo
          Last edited by biondoli; 04-07-2008, 11:22 AM.
          Ciao Carlo

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

Heart slab finished...starting the real work! hopefully the weather will cooperate...
            Ciao Carlo

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

Floor

Nice today, 34 degree sunny and worked all day out.
              Laied down the floor and started the first row.
              Ciao Carlo

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

Go Carlo, go! Good times comin'!
                GJBingham

-

Comment

cement and brick cuts powder?

I remember reading on some posts a while ago that portland cement has been mixed with the powder recuperated from the cut of the fire bricks.
                  Can I use it to mortar the dome? If so, are there suggested percentages? I'd like to use it as it should be a very good bonding heat resistant right? Thanks
                  Ciao Carlo

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

My guess (a complete guess) is yes, you should be able to substitute the cuttings from the bricks for the sand in the mortar. You may have trouble getting enough for the 3 parts sand, one part cement, one part lime, one part fire clay mix.
                    GJBingham

-

Comment

You can make a workable mortar with fireclay, sand and portland, but if there's anyway you can afford proper refractory mortar, it makes for an easier build and better results.

I think cutting tray sludge would be too inconsistent and hard to work with as a fireclay substitute.
                      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Laied down soldiers and started 2nd row

I decided to level the floor as there were some bricks not very well leveled...used first the grinding wheel by hand then a little bit the grinder.
                        Covered the floor with the brick powder recup from the cuts...so it should fill in the gaps and protect the floor from cement drips.
                        Then I started the 2nd row...
                        The plan was to tapering the bricks...the reality is that it will remain in my dreams...I decided to go the classical way and use shims. I didn't want a big head ache!
                        I am surprised how much refractory mortar is gone...am I supposed to fill all the gaps between the bricks right? or am I doing something wrong?
                        Then I also tried the paste version of the refractory cement, it's ready to use and very easy to work, I installed only a couple of bricks with this as I want to see how it works; it might also be cheaper as 1/2 gallon is $10 only...anybody knows about this product? The label says it can be used to repair oven, bricks, etc etc. I'll let you know...
                        Ciao Carlo

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

Carlo,

It's looking great. Yep, the method you are using (not trimming every brick to fit) will eat up a lot of mortar due to the big gaps on the outside of the dome. I would definitely fill the gaps. Nothing wrong with that, just uses more mortar (but also uses a lot less bricks).

When I trimmed all my bricks, I was amazed at how many extra trips to the brickyard I had to make. The brick estimates on the FB plans go out the window when you trim-to-fit.

Keep up the great work!
                          Ken H. - Kentucky
                          42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                          Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

The word on the street about the pre-mixed refractory mortar in mostly negative. It seems that it doesn't cure to a waterproof mortar. I don't know what product you're using, but half-a-gallon isn't going to fill many joints at all.
                            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Good week end for working, finished 2nd row and started the arch.
                              I poured a 2-3 inch concrete around the ceramic boards for keeping water away and to avoid any movement. I also added some bended nails in the concrete and left the heads out so I can attach the chicken wire that will go on top of the blanket after the dome is finished.
                              Ciao Carlo

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

Door measure MISTAKE! Question

While I was starting the arch I realized that my door opening was smaller than the suggested size. It is 16.8 inch....it is a result of 2 mistakes:
                                1- I assumed 18" as start instead of 19" (was reading the Neapolitan measures...)
                                2- Then I realized I needed the border for the door closure and moved the another inch or more closer.
                                I am already at the second row....how big this mistake is? Should I dismantel and start again?
                                Personally I am fine to live with it...but I need to know from the experts if this is not technically accepted for some reasons...thanks
                                Ciao Carlo

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

Working...
                                X