Ryan's 42

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ryan's 42

Thanks all. On the question of the slope. All the area around the oven is sloped and drains down to the grass. I had a concrete patio poured, colored, and stamped in the fall. The grade drains water away so the wood storage should be fine. The foundation under the oven slopes a bit as well. I plan on putting an elevated shelf in anyways as the snow can blow in and stack up. That way the would can stay off the floor and stay dry. I will still keep some in the garage just in case! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

Comment

You lost me Ryan. Suggestions for - ??? I read back a page and didn't see any outstanding questions. Maybe I missed something.
      GJBingham
      -----------------------------------
      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

George, I had asked him about slope of his foundation and drainage. He was answering this above.
        An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Ahhh, sorry to slow things down. Thanks Robert!
          GJBingham

-

Comment

Ryan's 42

I was able to cover the dome with the insulating blanket and secure with chicken wire this past weekend. I started framig around the dome with metal studs. I decided to go with the Stone House for the exterior look. I will post some photos this week. Things are all set to start the oven cure. I had to go out of town suddenly on business so, I hope to start the curing process tomorrow. I did have a question?

Can the roof be flat on top or do I need to slightly angle the roof for proper drainage? I don't want to do a gabled roof.

Thanks,

Ryan

Comment

Flat roof, as in no slope at all? Where in Colorado are you? A slope for rain water or snow sounds advisable.
              GJBingham

-

Comment

I went with a flat roof after a brief discussion with Cannuck Jim. I put a rubber pond liner down over my durarock but under the flat flagstone stuff I used for the roofing, just in case they do let water in...I was going to do a moderate slope but was afraid that it might just look slightly off...

Drake
                My Oven Thread:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Ryan's 42

Thanks. I think I might do a flat roof with a slight slope. This would be hidden as I can use a decorative mansard approach. The pond liner is a good idea. I will use that as well.

Thanks,

Ryan

Comment

Ryan's 42

Here are the photos of the progress I made last Friday and Saturday. I put on the ceramic blanket on Friday. Then went and bought metal studs. I was able to frame up most everything in those 2 days. The photos were taken prior to adding some additional support and bracing with the studs. I was able to apply 3 sides of cement board tonight. It was too dark to take photos as I stopped at 10:15 . There will be more photos tomorrow. Does anyone have a suggestions for a good IR Thermometer? I have been looking online and there are way too many choices.

Thanks,

Ryan

Comment

Looking good! Alway surprising how fast the framework goes up... what are your plans for the outside then?

If I were you, I'd go with the FB thermometer - after all, if the plans work as well as they do, I'm sure the thermometer will, too.
                      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Ryan's 42

I plan on using a combination of stone and stucco. I have flagstone for the base and some decorative trim. I've never attempted stucco myself but I thought I would give it a try. Maybe there is an easier alternative?

Thanks,

Ryan

Comment

Ryan's 42

Ladies and Gentlemen...We have fire! I was able to finish putting up the cement board. I will mud and tape next week. I lit the first fire today of 1 newspaper. I couldn't find my camera so the photos from the phone will have to do. Enjoy!

Have a Great Weekend All!

Ryan

Comment

The first fire is always exciting...you have certainly crossed over the threshold...you've done a nice job!
                            Dutch
                            "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                            "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Ryan, when I opened a pic, it was only about three times as large as the thumbnail. Try a little less reduction. Makes it easier for my tired eyes to enjoy.
                              GJBingham

-

Comment

I think it's because he is using his camera phone. My wife had taken a bunch of photos of our son on her new phone, but when I downloaded them they were 640x480. The phone had defaulted to the smallest size instead of the bigger 2 MP mode. If it's an older phone, 640x480 may be the max.

Comment

Working...
                                X