Ryan's 42

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ryan's 42

I could see enough to be able to say it looks great!
    Congrats too on your first fire - that first pizza shouldn't be too far behind it.

Comment

Ryan's 42

Thanks everyone. The first Pizza will be sometime this weekend. I will be sure to send photos. I was thinking about doing a live roof. Has anyone tried this? I found this website and I like the idea. Here is the link. My roof is only 70'' X 72''. LiveRoof Green Roof System.

Ryan

Comment

I only did a quick scan of the site but didn't see a pic of an actual roof. I think I've seen them though. Pretty cool idea. I love the look of homes built into the ground with sod roofs etc.

Make sure you insulate the heck out of your oven. 100 degrees F of heat (thats what mine reads on the outside after 6 hours) over several hours may have detrimental effects on you living roof.
        GJBingham
        -----------------------------------
        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

The pioneering pompeii builder Paulages built a planted soil roof on his oven:

Last edited by dmun; 04-28-2008, 07:32 PM. Reason: image format
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I hope that takes root.

Thanks,

Ryan

Comment

My father-in-law's neighbor in Benidoleg (near Javea Jim) was a retired German businessman, whose company installed living roofs on commercial buildings in Frankfort.

He drove a nice car. :-)

James
              Last edited by james; 05-02-2008, 05:25 PM.
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

That is such a cool idea! Make sure to post pics!

Is there one of Paulage's oven with the greenery growing anywhere?
                "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

These living roofs are catching on here in the Western U.S. We noticed the increased interest on Earth Day.
                  An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Ryan's 42

The live roofs look fairly easy to install and I like the idea. I hired a mason to do the brick and stone on the exterior of the oven. I tried but really, this is out of my league. It cost more than I thought but will be worth it in the end. So by next weekend the oven will be complete and finished. We have had 60-80 MPH winds the past 2 days so that has delayed things a bit. We went from 80 degrees on Wed to 30 yesterday.

Comment

Ryan's 42

I finished the roof yesterday. My mason suggested I put on a gradual slope. Here it is. I used asphalt shingles and underneath I put on a rubber pond liner (which cost more than the bundle of shingles!). My mason also suggested I square everything up with plywood on top of the cement board. This will save in labor cost and the mason will not have to put up lath. I think the cement board and the insulation on the oven will provide a sufficient fire barrier. Once the stone and brick is up I am not sure how a fire could penetrate.

Thanks,

Ryan

Comment

Ryan's 42

Most of the brick is up. Here are some photos. It is starting to come together.

Enjoy!

Ryan

Comment

Ryan's 42

DONE!!!!!!!!!!! Finito! Ya se termino! The oven is now complete. I am very happy how the brick and stone turned out. The oven is bigger than I ever thought it would be but it fills the space well. Here are some photos. The cost to pay a professional to lay the brick and stone was worth every penny. My son insisted on posing for all photos.

James, Does my title change to Master Builder now!

Thanks,

Ryan

Comment

More photos! I used a Brick called English pub and the stone is called Adirondack. I got the materials from Robinson Brick.

Enjoy!

Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                              The oven is bigger than I ever thought it would be
                              They do that, don't they? I think mine grows in the night...

Congratulations! Lovely bricks, lovely oven! You sound very pleased... so how does it feel to be finished?

Did you go with the live roof in the end? I can't see from the photos...
                              "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

I may still do the live roof but for now I put up asphalt shingles. The live roof rep here in town is not so good at calling me back so I am in no rush either.

Thanks,

Ryan

Comment

Working...
                                X