It's time to go Vertical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: It's time to go Vertical

Started day two fires, the dome was at 125F this morning. Still working on the door, so only had a cement block in front.
    The fire I have going now is smaller that yesterdays, but the dome has heated up quickly. floor is at 250, back wall 320 and dome 400-450 with air temp about 160.
    RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
    Oven Thread

Comment

I'm thinking that that WFO is drawing fans, I'm not sure if the picture will show all the birds lining up for dinner. NOPE just kidding, fronts are going thru here so no WFO activity going on.
      Our kids in dallas are getting snow but just rain here. Not complaining our lake is down 18" and I remember two years ago it was down 11'. We need our March rains!
      RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

Just looked at the photos while you were doing the curing fire...I agree with George in that it looks like the oven is breathing just as it should...I don't think you will have any issues at all with your flue design...matter of fact I might use a variation in the next oven I build!
        Dutch
        "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
        "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

So far I pretty happy with it all. I will place the other 2' section on it later to see the difference. I'm thinking I may cut that in half and add it to the flue and then cut the rest lengthwise on the diagonal and use that as a rain cap. The place I got the flue didn't have rain caps for this size.
          Last edited by RCLake; 03-07-2008, 03:20 PM.
          RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

First pass at a door, I've attached 3" of insul. board to the back of a wood oak frame that I've added a couple of handles. I attached it using construction adhesive so I'll be interested how that holds up with the heat. Since the pics, I've added small pieces of ins. on top to seal the entire opening, small pieces are brittle and hard to work with.
            RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

I see that the first picture is a little dark, sorry.

As you can see, I've started the fires again. I'm staying in the 350-375F range. With the doom at 350 the outside of the dome was 225, however the inside of the flue is 120. the winds are perpendicular to the opening so that's a part of it.

As always, I'm getting ahead of myself but I took out a brisket from the freezer to thaw in the fridge. I know Dave has a thread on it so I'll look it up tomorrow.

You've heard about eau d' cologne, well around me it's the eau d' SMOKE.
              RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

Originally posted by RCLake View Post
                You've heard about eau d' cologne, well around me it's the eau d' SMOKE.
                Only kind of perfume that goes with true oven builders' apparel...
                "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

I like the door! As for the brisket, sound like a good way to christen your oven - can't wait to hear - or see - how it turns out. Have fun!

Comment

We've been enjoying two fires tonight, the wfo has been doing good. It hasn't needed much wood and I'll shut it done soon. I will use my new door and see what happens.

The other fire we enjoy at this time of the year is in our great room, we call it that because we included the kitchen with the living room. We are very infomal here.

We cheated a little bit tonight by doing chicken and shank steak for some fajitas. There's heat there, why not.

Doesn't count in my opinon. It was good.
                    RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

Nice door RC,
                      You won't loose much heat out of the dome with all that insulation in there.

Keep us posted on the curing.
                      GJBingham
                      -----------------------------------
                      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Removed the door this morning and the dome was over 200 and the floor was over 150, that's with outdoor temp of 30F. It's on to day 3 of the fires with a target of 500.
                        RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

RC, does it appear to you that moisture is being driven out more productively than the old method used by others?

Do you check the inside dome for cracks each morning before fresh firing?
                          An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Acoma, really can't compare to the other process. I like this approach, it has been tending to the fire during the day. I've got the dome at 500F and the outside is 300, the outside of the blanket is 70F. The bottom of the blanket seems a little damp, either because of driving the moisture out of the bricks or because of the 3" of rain we have gotten this week, some may have between the two tarps.

I've checked for cracks in the morning, today I notice lines in the soot on one brick on the second row. Could be because a log rubbed against it. We'll see.

I may take the blanket off during some of tomorrows firing to see if I notice any steam escaping.
                            RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

Robert, you got me thinking, why put off till tomorrow what you can do today. So I pulled off the tarp and the blanket and checked around. I do have a crack on the outside starting at my top left part of my arch and goes up the mortar line for 4 bricks. It doesn't seem bad and until that oven goes white I'm not crawling in there to look.

I also noticed on the inside of the blanket 4-5 places with soot. I must have a gap in the mortar joint there, not noticeable from the outside though.

All in all, in look like the dome before firing. I don't know why I thought I was going to see steam coming thru the bricks, but no.

I've put the blanket back on but not the tarp. When I took the tarp off there was moisture there so I'm letting it dry.
                              RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

Originally posted by RCLake View Post
                                The bottom of the blanket seems a little damp, either because of driving the moisture out of the bricks or because of the 3" of rain we have gotten this week, some may have between the two tarps.
                                I think you are driving moisture out. I have been putting tent back in place overnight so blanket hasn't been exposed to any rain/snow and my blankets are damp as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X