dusty's Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dusty's Door

Well...I think that's it for my door. Steel front, FB board in the middle, with a 1/2 inch piece of ceramic "hardybacker" board in back next to the fire. I bolted it together with carriage bolts and bolted a gate sping on there for a handle. Fits like a glove. Now for the test. I'm not possitive about the backer board, but I think it will work just fine. Gotta be better than stackin' and unstackin' those red hot bricks!

dusty

Re: dusty's Door

Dusty,

Nice looking door. I think you should think about a way of sealing the board on its edge. It is an industrial insulating product, and you should keep it sealed to lock in the fibers.

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
      Dusty,

Nice looking door. I think you should think about a way of sealing the board on its edge. It is an industrial insulating product, and you should keep it sealed to lock in the fibers.

James
      Thanks. You are probably right. Thought about that some, but not alot. I was hoping that the steel or the backer board would take most of the big hits. Will the heat cause it to deteriorate?

dusty

Comment

Dusty,

It isn't the heat, but the fibers being in the air where you will breath them and they will come in contact with food.

James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Perfect! It's simple and should work great.
          Nice job.
          Ken H. - Kentucky
          42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
          Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Dusty,

It isn't the heat, but the fibers being in the air where you will breath them and they will come in contact with food.

James
            Oh...I got ya. Could I coat it with something that wouldn't catch on fire?
            Like furnace caulk? Or sould I encase it?

dusty

Comment

cool looking door dusty. I was wondering the same thing about seeing if you could encase the edge by spreading some furnace cement or something like that on it. I wonder if that would spread on, but then would be "brittle" when dried.

Comment

Dusty,
                I think James is possibly referring to the possible carcinogenic or other ill effects of breathing/eating the fibers.

Love your door! Something around the exterior to keep the ceramic fibers in there - I've yet to do that to mine.
                GJBingham
                -----------------------------------
                Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Nice door Dustman.

How heavy is the sucker?

They make an aluminum tape.... for furnaces etc. I think it would be perfect to run around the edges. It would require replacement from time to time... but it is thin and wouldn't make your door any bigger.

I will see if I can find some online. I usually buy it at Lowe's when I need it though.

Dave
                  My thread:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                  My costs:
                  http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                  My pics:
                  http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Best example I could find.

12 roll Aluminum Foil Tape Duct work Insulation repair - eBay (item 350036353926 end time Mar-20-08 10:10:03 PDT)

But it shouldn't detract from the look of the door.
                    My thread:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                    My costs:
                    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                    My pics:
                    http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

the tape should be available at any decent hardware store..its quite sticky but is prone to tearing easily..i always keep a roll in my work van..mabey it would be better if you could find a tin knocker that could roll the edges of a thin piece of aluminum over and then wrap the exposed edges slipping the front edge behind the metal if the space allows

Comment

Originally posted by vincent View Post
                        maybe it would be better if you could find a tin knocker that could roll the edges of a thin piece of aluminum over and then wrap the exposed edges slipping the front edge behind the metal if the space allows
                        That's a good idea. Could you use cheap aluminum flashing from Home Depot?
                        James
                        Pizza Ovens
                        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Could you use cheap aluminum flashing from Home Depot?
                          Just this morning, I was thinking about this and came up with the aluminum flashing idea as well. I have a roll in my garage and will try it on my door in the next few weeks when monsoon season is over.
                          Ken H. - Kentucky
                          42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                          Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Ken,

I second that - it's been raining in Cincy for 2 days straight and there's a lot of flooding going around. I guess I'll have to put off my hearth pour (too cold) this weekend.

Dick

Comment

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
                              Nice door Dustman.
                              How heavy is the sucker?
                              They make an aluminum tape.... for furnaces etc. I think it would be perfect to run around the edges. It would require replacement from time to time... but it is thin and wouldn't make your door any bigger.
                              Dave
                              What's crackin' my texican brother? Long time. Good to hear from you... and a most excellent call on the tape. I know that stuff. They used it on my commercial refrigerater at work. That is precisely what I will start off doing. If that doesn't work, I'll go to the NEXT easiest thing. Thanks for doing the e-bay research, but I'm sure I can find it at the local "mom and pop's heating and air" joint. I like to shop at those places.

How's everything? Family good?

Be sure to tell them all that your pal-from-Cal was asking about them and get that videographer daughter of yours off her butt...I'm ready for for more lessons!

Got plans for pizza night #4 on Friday. Wish you and wife and kids could come. I will have the door taped up properly and will post a complete report.

dusty

Comment

Working...
                              X