39 inch Corner Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    My rope was fairly flexible/compressible as I stuffed it in conformed to the gap. So my round rope became elliptical to fill the gap. I would think 3/8" or maybe 1/2" would be fine. I think my gap was about 1/2" and I used 3/4" or 1" braided rope. 61A Ceramic Rope 8.25.12.JPG
    Reading here that quite a lot of the better builds have used a heat break of some kind. It hadn’t crossed my mind to use one but the more reading I do on the vent and outer arch I do the more I see the heat break as being a best practice.

knowing that supplies of such material is limited here in Thailand, I wonder what kind of material can be used for the heat break. Could I use some of the left over ceramic fiber board for this? And I’m guessing that the heat break is positioned in between the inner dome and vent tunnel as displayed in your picture?
    My Build:

https://community.fornobravo.com/for...and#post423032

Comment

• Yes the heat break is between the dome structure (arch part) and the rear vent arch. I went with L shaped bricks for the rear vent arch so that they had a gap between the vertical face of the dome arch and the top surfaces of those same bricks. If you go to post #143 you can see a picture someone posted and I copied the design. With my heat break I was just trying to decouple my vent from the dome in terms of thermal conductivity. I was not trying to use the gasket to insulate the dome from the vent, only to prevent hot gasses from trying to exit via the gap instead of going up the chimney. Putting the gasket on top of the inner arch (along the horizontal surface) seemed like it would prevent the gasket or pieces of it from falling down onto my landing and getting in my food. I added the high temperature caulk just to make a final seal along the joint. I believe I have read suggestions that with a similar design you could apply some insulating concrete along where I put my caulk and achieve at least as good of isolation that I did, and even if it cracks it won't be falling into your food.
      My build thread
      http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...h-corner-build

Comment

• Old thread JR but if you get this, any chance on sharing some of your CAD files for the 39" corner? This looks bang-on what I'm trying to do...

Comment

• Sure thing mdbronco , file attached below. Had to zip it as the forum software does not recognize the cad files. Have you used Freecad before? It is what I use and what the format the files are saved in. Let me know and I might be able to export in another format (maybe). Also let me know if you have any questions after you open and check it out.
          Attached Files
          My build thread
          http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...h-corner-build

Comment

• Thanks so much JR!!

Comment

Working...
            X